PDA

View Full Version : Weather

Msjudy
02-03-2011, 06:07 AM
What do you do when bad weather is coming to your area? do you close your daycare? Do we have the right to do so if we see fit, it seems like the parents do not care about the safety of their children. :confused:

Blackcat31
02-03-2011, 07:05 AM
Your business;your call. If you choose to stay open and parents choose to bring their kids it is up to them. If you have a policy that says you close when bad weather is coming then I would do so and not feel bad. It is your choice because it is your business.

Personally, I live where we get TONS of snow and VERY sub-zero temps and I also run my childcare out of a separate home I have to drive to each day and I never close due to weather because it is just part of the climate here and we are all used to it. If parents bring their kids and head to work, it is just another day in the neighborhood. But if they bring their kids out in bad weather so they can go back home, I think bad thoughts (:p) about them, say good morning and begin our normal routine and I get paid so I am still okay with it. It is each parents choice to make......

Msjudy
02-03-2011, 07:51 AM
Your business;your call. If you choose to stay open and parents choose to bring their kids it is up to them. If you have a policy that says you close when bad weather is coming then I would do so and not feel bad. It is your choice because it is your business.

Personally, I live where we get TONS of snow and VERY sub-zero temps and I also run my childcare out of a separate home I have to drive to each day and I never close due to weather because it is just part of the climate here and we are all used to it. If parents bring their kids and head to work, it is just another day in the neighborhood. But if they bring their kids out in bad weather so they can go back home, I think bad thoughts (:p) about them, say good morning and begin our normal routine and I get paid so I am still okay with it. It is each parents choice to make......
Thank you for that information, You are right it is my business and will not feel bad about it. Bad weather does'nt happen often in Texas so they will live for this one day.

SunflowerMama
02-03-2011, 08:30 AM
I'm in TX too (Dallas area) and I have remained open the last 3 days with all this ice and freezing cold temps. I charged families like normal. I didn't have any kids Tuesday or yesterday and only 2 today. We're also expected to get snow tonight and into tomorrow so I'm sure I won't have a full house tomorrow either. I just couldn't afford to close and refund/discount parents so I'm just going to always remain open no matter the weather. I'm not going anywhere so I'll leave it up to the parents to make the decision about traveling in these conditions.

WImom
02-03-2011, 10:46 AM
I don't close. I'm not going anywhere and you just never know what the parents jobs are and maybe they HAVE to go to work.

MommyMuffin
02-03-2011, 11:09 AM
This is an honest question so I hope nobody takes offense but...why would you close due to weather?

I dont have school age so its only little ones and I think it is the parents responsibility to plan their day and their work schedule to be to my house on time or maybe a little late on bad weather days. I would never close due to weather because it doesnt effect me. The parents know that they cannot be an hour late no matter what.

I must add: I live in an area where bad weather is normal and lots of snow does not mean stores or schools close...even blizzard weather.

lil angels
02-03-2011, 11:11 AM
I never close either. Its their choice to be in it.

Blackcat31
02-03-2011, 01:12 PM
I think the OP is wondering because she lives in Texas and in Texas right now they are having some VERY abnormal weather patterns and bad weather (like this) is not a normal occurrance for them. The state is covered in record lows and severe ice build up. In MN we are prepared for this because it is part of the deal when we live here but there I would expect this to completely paralyze the state and leave everyone at a loss as to what to do with this bizarre climate pattern.

Does any city/county area in Texas even own a snowplow or shovel...Does Wal-mart even sell ice-melt there? LOL!

SunflowerMama
02-03-2011, 01:20 PM
I've never seen a snow plow or salt truck since I moved here from OH 9 years ago :). They just sand the streets and wait a day or 2 for the temperature to get back to normal. People here have no idea how to drive in snow or ice so when we do get hit it really causes problems.