PDA

View Full Version : Quotes Over The Phone?

DEBBIES DAYCARE
06-30-2011, 06:35 AM
I always maintained a policy that I don't quote rates over the phone when someone inquires about my daycare. I prefer you make an appt, come meet me and see what I have to offer. I also feel if you are looking to send your child to the lowest bidder, then I'm not for you.
Im looking for a full time slot to be filled in the near future and have begun getting calls. Its been awhile since I've had to take a new child, and I dont know if it's the economy or the age of the parents (alot are very young) but I barely say hello on the phone and they ask what do I charge? How do you peeps do it? Do you quote over the phone? or insist they come in and meet you first.

Cat Herder
06-30-2011, 06:43 AM
I also feel if you are looking to send your child to the lowest bidder, then I'm not for you.

That is why I tell them when they call. ;) I tell them the rate, hours and all the NO's up front. Weeds them out for me. Drama filter if you will. :ouch:

Saves me the time and effort of having strangers in my home, too. :Sunny:

kathiemarie
06-30-2011, 07:14 AM
I feel the same way. I tell them everything up front. We chat for awhile then IF I feel we would be a good match I set up an interview. (of course they have to feel we would be a good match also.)

GotKids
06-30-2011, 07:39 AM
I do most of my advertising on Craigslist. I put in the ad what my rates are as well as what it includes. I briefly state my vacation and enrollment policies and ask them to email with question or to set a time meet. I don't have a ton of time to field calls about rates or set up appointments only to find out the people can not afford it here.

I know I run a solid program, the parents know it and they normally are willing to pay for it. That said, I have been known to work with people. Money shouldn't be your only focus but it shouldn't mean you have to settle for a crappy daycare because you are a little short.

MV
06-30-2011, 08:25 AM
That is why I tell them when they call. ;) I tell them the rate, hours and all the NO's up front. Weeds them out for me. Drama filter if you will. :ouch:

This is how I am too. I don't want to waste my time on the phone and in an interview only to find out that they don't like my rate. I am now at a point that I don't want to hassle with haggling so I post my rate directly on my ads, website and quote over the phone. If they see my ad, website and call and they want to set an appointment then at least I know their serious and half the battle is over.

TBird
06-30-2011, 08:55 AM

I hate discussing money over the phone before they've even met me or seen what value they'll get for their money. BUT, I agree with Catherder....it's a good garden weeder!!!:p

Maddy'sMommy
06-30-2011, 09:06 AM
I don't advertise my phone number, but over e-mail I will give my rates, and they are listed on my site. I usually say what the rates start at, and that it depends on hours, and the age of the child (the age doesn't really change anything, but I always say that, give me more info about them if they didn't provide any)

Maddy'sMommy
06-30-2011, 09:07 AM
Also, I am priced low for my area because I just started, and really have no recent child care experience other than being a Mom. So I get a lot of people who are just looking for cheap care, I have to weed them out in the interview.

Lucy
06-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Sometimes they do start off by saying "how much do you charge for your daycare?" I just chalk it up to them being new at searching for a daycare. So I start right in with my few questions such as "what age is the child?" "what days and hours will you need care?" If I get answers to those that fit for me, I continue to chat a little bit so I can get a feel for what they are like, maybe where they work, what their prior daycare experience has been, and if I feel comfortable with them, I will tell them the price, and their options for paying it. Then I pop the "do you want to set up an interview appointment" question.

I wouldn't want to NOT tell them the price over the phone, because if they come for an interview and feel like it's too much, they've wasted my time and there's. But I NEVER say it right away. If they don't fit as far as ages or time needed, I just tell them I don't have an opening for them right now. Sometimes they will ask "but I just want to know what you charge so I can compare it to other people I'm calling", and I will respond with "I'm sorry, I just don't have an opening for you right now", and that usually shuts them up.

jojosmommy
06-30-2011, 10:46 AM
I tell them over the phone and through email. I would rather get rid of those that can't/won't pay BEFORE they enter my home for an interview. No sense wasting my time or theirs.

Crazy8
06-30-2011, 10:55 AM
when I first started I was told not to give rates over the phone and I didn't for the longest time. But now, after 10 years, I decided to start weeding them out that way as well. I get many calls that sound interested until I give my rates. I go thru a lot of trouble making up packets, etc. for interviews so it saves me time by giving out the rates up front.

daycare
06-30-2011, 11:33 AM
when I first started I was told not to give rates over the phone and I didn't for the longest time. But now, after 10 years, I decided to start weeding them out that way as well. I get many calls that sound interested until I give my rates. I go thru a lot of trouble making up packets, etc. for interviews so it saves me time by giving out the rates up front.
ditto this.... I never used to, but after asking the right questions I tell them... I know that its one of the top questions on my list if I were searching for daycare for my own child.

I have not posted my rates on my website, but i am going to....

Unregistered
06-30-2011, 11:45 AM
I pay attention to the questions that the person calling asks. If the very first question is related to how much I charge, then I already know that it won't work out. I can't compete with the really low rates. I don't want to waste my time or theirs by setting up an interview and tour when I know that I'm not going to be in the price range that they want to pay. I know that I'm not going to lower my cost no matter and if they can't afford it, then why bother touring?

Meeko
07-01-2011, 10:19 AM
I am always willing to tell what I charge. It's not a secret. People are looking to buy my services and want to know how much it will cost. To me that just makes sense.

Can you imagine being interested in buying a new car, but the salesman refuses to tell you how much it is until you have been for a test drive and listened to his sales pitch for hour...only to find it's out of your budget?

I don't waste my time or theirs.

Unregistered
08-03-2011, 07:01 AM
I came across this thread after googling why daycares don't give their rates over the phone. I am a parent and a teacher, and being a teacher, I can not afford to pay $1,200 a month for daycare. It actually sickens me that daycare costs so much. I am a well-educated, kind, and dedicated mother. Just because my first question is regarding the cost, does not mean that I am a parent you would want to "weed out." I would love to have my son at the fancy daycare right next to my house that charges $295 a week, but I can't. Even if I only ate ramen noodles everyday I couldn't afford that. When I first called them to inquire about their cost, they said in a very snooty way, "oh we don't give prices over the phone. You can come in for a tour between noon and three." So I had to take a day off work to go to the daycare just to find out there was no way I could afford it. Just because parents ask about price doesn't mean that they are bad parents. Every mom wants the best possible daycare for their child that they can afford. Advertising prices online or on the phone will save your time and their time.

sharlan
08-03-2011, 12:38 PM
I give mine over the phone.

Mom_of_two
08-03-2011, 12:39 PM
I do give that over the phone. I won't give a handbook til an interview, but anything else I will answer over the phone, don't want to waste my time if there are things that show we aren't a good fit (hours, rate, nap, etc.)

familyschoolcare
08-03-2011, 01:14 PM
I give my rate over the phone after asking how old the child is and what hours of care are needed. I will also answer any other questions over the phone I would rather answer 10 phone calls a day (alright I wish) than interview a parent that does not enroll their child.

Sunshine44
08-03-2011, 01:16 PM
I wouldn't mind giving my rates over the phone. I go by word of mouth, so most of the time I already know they are going to call.

JaydensMommy
08-03-2011, 01:26 PM
I give my rate over the phone after asking how old the child is and what hours of care are needed. I will also answer any other questions over the phone I would rather answer 10 phone calls a day (alright I wish) than interview a parent that does not enroll their child.

I do the same thing, if I don't have space for that age group or can't accomodate the hours than I won't tell them my rate. I would never want to waste my time and a parents time with an interview if my rate is too much for them.

TBird
08-03-2011, 02:16 PM
I do give mine over the phone because I understand that some people can't even look if my services are WAY out of their price range. BUT....I do feel that if some people would just come and look, they'd see that if I'm within $25 of what they're willing to pay THEY WOULD SIGN ON WITH ME....I'm just that good!!!:D

I also feel that sometimes when people call and just ask about pricing, it may be another provider doing some cost checking.:ouch:

SilverSabre25
08-03-2011, 02:20 PM
I also feel that sometimes when people call and just ask about pricing, it may be another provider doing some cost checking.:ouch:

I just wish that when people do that, after you answer them they'd fess up and let you know what THEY charge, so you have an idea of where BOTH of you stand. That would be a lot more fair. :)