PDA

View Full Version : Should I let it be Known to Prospective Families?

momma4many
06-30-2011, 08:15 AM
I have been going back and forth deciding if I should let prospective clients or even current clients know that I am working towards my BA in psych with a minor in child development? The reason I go back and forth is b/c a good friend and professor at a nearby university told me to be careful telling clients/prospective clients about this unless I want to play family therapist and/or give diagnosis (which I obviously cannot do, she was just making a point, I think) for free. I know that sounds harsh, but I think she was just speaking out of her own experience.

I don't tell any of them now unless they ask b/c I don't want them to think my studying interferes w/ daycare time or that I will be quitting in a year or two when I have my degree.

What do you all think about this?

Cat Herder
06-30-2011, 08:18 AM
I would be so excited I would have T-Shirts made!!!!!!!!:Sunny:

That is so awesome....:D:D:D

Just tell them you legally cannot give advice without them first scheduling an appt. Your insurance wont allow it.

That is what my sons ADD "councelor" told me when I asked if eating more fish would really help me remember things in the parking lot...:lol::lol::lol: She's just that cool. I adore her.

laundrymom
06-30-2011, 08:59 AM
I would! It's a huge accomplishment!! If they asked me for advice just tell them, sorry, I have my childcare provider hat on right now, and my childcare fees in place, I can change to my dr hat but the fees are a bit higher.

jojosmommy
06-30-2011, 10:49 AM
I agree that you should be proud however I think parents may have other ideas. I have my teaching lic and still teach in the evenings for special ed. Every parent I tell this parents get nervous about me quitting daycare and going back to teaching. It seems to become more of a convo piece than it is worth. I casually mention it when I talk about accomodations and curriculum but overall I don't make a big deal about the evening experience b/c parents get overly concerned about what that will mean for their child.

jen
06-30-2011, 11:05 AM
I have a degree in Community Psychology and my husband is getting his Master's in Special Education...nobody has tried to have their child diagnosed as of yet! LOL!

AmandasFCC
06-30-2011, 12:08 PM
I have been going back and forth deciding if I should let prospective clients or even current clients know that I am working towards my BA in psych with a minor in child development? The reason I go back and forth is b/c a good friend and professor at a nearby university told me to be careful telling clients/prospective clients about this unless I want to play family therapist and/or give diagnosis (which I obviously cannot do, she was just making a point, I think) for free. I know that sounds harsh, but I think she was just speaking out of her own experience.

I don't tell any of them now unless they ask b/c I don't want them to think my studying interferes w/ daycare time or that I will be quitting in a year or two when I have my degree.

What do you all think about this?

I'll tell you my experience. I have a BA in psych, focused on development .... I advertised this heavily when I first started because I figured as a newbie into daycare and a newbie in town, I needed something to prove I'm not a flake ....

The kids I got from those ads were ATROCIOUS!!! The parents freely admitted that they hoped that because of my degree I'd be able to turn them around. And yes, I DID play family therapist for a lot of them and it was AWFUL.

I tell people when they come for interviews now about my education, but I simply state that I have a BA, as I point to my degree hanging on the wall, and that I complete a lot of professional development and am working on my ECE. It's amazing how leaving out what the BA is in made a difference in the expectations of me.

Blackcat31
06-30-2011, 12:11 PM
I'll tell you my experience. I have a BA in psych, focused on development .... I advertised this heavily when I first started because I figured as a newbie into daycare and a newbie in town, I needed something to prove I'm not a flake ....

The kids I got from those ads were ATROCIOUS!!! The parents freely admitted that they hoped that because of my degree I'd be able to turn them around. And yes, I DID play family therapist for a lot of them and it was AWFUL.

I tell people when they come for interviews now about my education, but I simply state that I have a BA, as I point to my degree hanging on the wall, and that I complete a lot of professional development and am working on my ECE. It's amazing how leaving out what the BA is in made a difference in the expectations of me.

Well thank goodness you aren't a gynecologist then.... :ouch: sorry, I am only 1.5 days away from my week long vacation so I am feeling a bit lightheaded! LOL!!

momma4many
06-30-2011, 03:44 PM
I agree that you should be proud however I think parents may have other ideas. I have my teaching lic and still teach in the evenings for special ed. Every parent I tell this parents get nervous about me quitting daycare and going back to teaching. It seems to become more of a convo piece than it is worth. I casually mention it when I talk about accomodations and curriculum but overall I don't make a big deal about the evening experience b/c parents get overly concerned about what that will mean for their child.
This is what I was concerned about, that they would be hesitant b/c they wonder if I will be quitting soon.

Yep, this too was my one of my main concerns. Thanks for sharing your experience. I interviewed one mother who was a referral from a friend. This friend I have known since I was a kid, so she obviously knows me well and knows I am getting my BA. The mother I interviewed asked me questions only geared towards her son's "issues" (her words). I told her I was not qualified to give her advice on those things, as I do not yet have my degree...yadda yadda...but it made my other friend's advice about not telling anyone ring much louder in my ears.

Expectations. Yes, that is a good way to put it. The one mother who knew about it thus far seemed to have a lot of expectations of me with her son and his "issues" being helped while he was here. We ended up deciding this would not be a good fit b/c of other things, mainly her erratic work schedule and the fact that I REQUIRE a contract, but I sort of felt like I dodged a bullet there!

momma4many
06-30-2011, 03:45 PM
Also, thank you everyone for the encouragement and positive responses to me working towards my BA!! I appreciate it:D:D:D