PDA

View Full Version : Left Or Right Handed?

Michelle
07-01-2011, 04:03 PM
I have a parent that pretty much forces their child to eat with her right hand.
She usually wants to eat with her left and he say's he doesn't want her to be left handed. I always let her eat / color with whatever hand she want to.

What age is it when you know if they are left or right handed?
She will be 3 this month.

daycare
07-01-2011, 04:23 PM
I think around age 3.5-4...but then it depends on the child... My son is 3.5 and he still uses both...

I always put the item in the middle of their plate or paper and let them decide..

so sad that they are being forced....that is really old school

familyschoolcare
07-01-2011, 04:42 PM
While I was getting by BA in elementary education, I learned that it is considered normal to use both hand at the beginning of kindergarten but by the end of the school year most children have a favorite

Kaddidle Care
07-01-2011, 04:52 PM
An interesting site written by some "south Paws". ;) http://www.rkwest.com/left-handed/2007/04/12/forcing-children-to-switch/

I've always found Lefties to be very good with math.

Sometimes it takes a little strategic planning around the dinner table but that's about it.

daycare
07-01-2011, 04:56 PM
An interesting site written by some "south Paws". ;)

I've always found Lefties to be very good with math.

Sometimes it takes a little strategic planning around the dinner table but that's about it.
this perfectly decsribes my sister....lefty, math teacher and taught me to set the table backwards....lol

sharlan
07-01-2011, 05:55 PM
My 4 yo still uses both hands to eat and color.

SilverSabre25
07-01-2011, 07:41 PM
IME and from what I can remember from child development classes...

It's not unusual for children to show a preference by age 2 or 3. Most righties seem to become fully right handed by this age. Lefties take longer to settle in to a hand (from watching my lefty DD who is 3.5, I'd have to say this is due to being surrounded by righties, for the most part, and emulating what they see) and often don't settle fully until kindergarten age. That being said, there are always exceptions. Lefties do tend to be better at using either hand, or using left for most but right for some, where righties tend to be fully and completely right handed.

It's really old school (and kind of dumb...) to force a child to be right handed. My MIL forced my BIL to be right-handed and tries to convince my DD to use her right hand. I actually had to tell my MIL off one day for mentioning to DD that DD was drawing left handed (she corrected her, actually), and MIL scoffed at me, "She's three, she doesn't know the difference!" and I said, "She does; she notices that she uses a different hand from DH and I, and I've seen her switch after watching us. She seems to feel self-conscious about it." MIL scoffed again, "She doesn't know what that means!" and I retorted, "No, but that doesn't mean she doesn't feel it. Now--don't bring up the subject again"

sharlan
07-01-2011, 08:15 PM
My dh grew up with a mother that forced him to be right handed. He does eat and write right handed, but bats a ball, shoots, and fishes left handed.

Our 4 yo grandson hasn't decided yet. One day he'll eat right handed, the next day left. He seems to use scissors easier right handed, but is that because "I" put the scissors in his right hand?

My only lefty daycare kid in 27 yrs is so smart. 1/2 way through K, they moved her to 1st grade. She missed 1/2 of K and 1/2 of 1st. They were talking about skipping 2nd and her mom said no.

Michelle
07-01-2011, 10:24 PM
o.k., wow I got a lot of good info, thanks guys.
My kids are all righties and I think lefties are cool.
I also remember on that movie, "The Kings Speech" one of the reasons he stuttered was because they forced him to use his right hand.

Just wish he would let her do what comes natural.
What should it matter what hand you eat with?
Is it a custom thing, or wanting your child to be in the majority?
My mom used to say," Oh, I hope your kids don't turn out to be lefties because they will spear the ink when they write"
jeez:confused:

SilverSabre25
07-01-2011, 10:46 PM
o.k., wow I got a lot of good info, thanks guys.
My kids are all righties and I think lefties are cool.
I also remember on that movie, "The Kings Speech" one of the reasons he stuttered was because they forced him to use his right hand.

Just wish he would let her do what comes natural.
What should it matter what hand you eat with?
Is it a custom thing, or wanting your child to be in the majority?
My mom used to say," Oh, I hope your kids don't turn out to be lefties because they will spear the ink when they write"
jeez:confused:

Some people think that lefties are going to have a harder time in life because the world is designed for right-handed folks. Lots of things are right-handed and you don't realize it until your right-hand is out of commission or you are left-handed.

So, people think that by forcing their child to be right-handed they are giving them an easier life...nah...not true. Left-handed people adapt. And they often have an advantage in sports--baseball, fencing...

jojosmommy
07-02-2011, 01:09 PM
I am right handed and my son 2 yrs prefers to do everything left handed. My husband (and his entire fam) is left and he was delighted to see his son has possibly picked up that trait also. Someone mentioned sports and yes often left handers have an advantage- something my husband was also pleased to note having a few great athletes in the family.

I have heard many times kids do not have a true preference until they are confident writers, can cut etc. For most kids this is around 4-5.