PDA

View Full Version : Monthly Newsletter

godiva83
07-04-2011, 01:04 PM
Hi all,
I write a news letter monthly, and I am at a loss for the July's edition-- I just have nothing to share, but don't want to skip this news letter as I feel it would not look professional (as they get one each month) I have filled it with pictures and days off but that is it :( any ideas of what I can write in there... My brain is not functioning in this heat. Cheers

Crazy8
07-04-2011, 03:53 PM
I haven't been good with doing newsletters the past few years but even when I did them monthly I would still just do one "summer" edition. I always have less kids in the summer and we are doing more outdoor playing so could get by with skipping a month or so. If you can't, I would just write about the fun everyone is having outside, etc. and when I need some fillers sometimes I will reiterate a policy that maybe people are getting lax on - like labeling food containers or something like that.

What program do you use for your newsletters? I want to start doing them monthly again in September!

PitterPatter
07-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Hi all,
I write a news letter monthly, and I am at a loss for the July's edition-- I just have nothing to share, but don't want to skip this news letter as I feel it would not look professional (as they get one each month) I have filled it with pictures and days off but that is it :( any ideas of what I can write in there... My brain is not functioning in this heat. Cheers

Did u already cover the local events? I put out a 2 page summer news letter 1/2 of updates for daycare, some pics of the kids, and summer requirments and maybe a couple policy reminders. The rest is local family events that are free of inexpensive. Things like free movie nights, music, library events, the city swimming pool parties, family fun nights, farm days, carnivals, etc. I try to research the cost and write it in as well. At the end I post the logos of local kids places like museums and play land etc.

Abigail
07-04-2011, 04:20 PM
OP, can you send me a samply of what you cover in your newsletters? I'm good with words and filling in blank spaces.

If you usually have a tidbits section or did you know section I recommend you fill it with weather related information about kids needing water while outside even if they are not thisty. You should also talk about the importance of sunscreen and when you google it online one of the sites has like a top ten facts about sunscreen you may not know, which one is to put it on 30 minutes prior to going outside so it has time to absorb into the skin for full protection.

Do you have any planned field trips in July? Do you have a fun activity for parents to do with their kids during the summer? I guess it helps to have a layout for the newsletter so you know what kind of information you typically share.

Abigail
07-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Did u already cover the local events? I put out a 2 page summer news letter 1/2 of updates for daycare, some pics of the kids, and summer requirments and maybe a couple policy reminders. The rest is local family events that are free of inexpensive. Things like free movie nights, music, library events, the city swimming pool parties, family fun nights, farm days, carnivals, etc. I try to research the cost and write it in as well. At the end I post the logos of local kids places like museums and play land etc.

That is a good idea! I know my neighbor actually spent a few hours researching what is going on in our town all summer and typed it on a list and hung it on the fridge. It would almost be something great for the parent board even. Depending on how large of a city you live in, ours gives lots to do during the summer.....most of it is after daycare hours though.

Pammie
07-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Maybe remind parents to to a cubby check/inventory to make sure their child is stocked for the warm weather.

A reminder about sunscreen/ bug spray.

Add a list of requested throw-away items (pringles cans, magazines, etc) that you can recycle into craft projects.

Share a recipe of a dish that the kids LOVE at your house.

Any special themes that you'll be doing this month?

MarinaVanessa
07-04-2011, 11:01 PM
Hi all,

I put in the new crib standards as an FYI and I'm in CA so I added in the new regulation about helathy drinks (water, milk and artificial sweateners in drinks). If you live in another state you could always add in any new regualtions in your area. You could also pick a policy from your contract or handbook and write a tid bit about it. Like if parents pick up a few minutes late you could quote the policy and write about how it effects you.

I had extra space in my newsletter this month and I didn't know what to put in there so I put a couple of cartoon strips having to do with daycare and babysitting. It's a great filler.