PDA

View Full Version : Argh... I Won’t Ever Make This Mistake Again!

MamaBear
07-05-2011, 10:18 AM
I feel so stupid. I had a mom call me a few weeks ago and schedule a tour. I was busy when she called so I scheduled it and only wrote down her first name... no phone number.

She came for a tour about a week ago with her infant daughter. She did a quick tour & told me that she definitely 100% wants to bring her daughter here. She was currently in another daycare and the mom told me that she would be giving her daycare provider a two week notice that coming Monday... meaning this coming Friday would be her last day at her current daycare. She told me the reasons why she was leaving the other daycare and it was due to the provider being unreliable.

As the mom was leaving, I asked her to please call me after she gives her other provider the 2 week notice just to confirm that she for sure is coming here. She agreed and she had my business card & all of the paperwork. I told her I'd need the paperwork before she'd start too & we could talk about that when she calls me... I'm thinking that Monday morning.

Anyway - She would have given her provider notice last week Monday & this mom still hasn't called me to say anything. I told her she could have the space at the tour but said clearly to call me to confirm after she gave notice at the other daycare.

Soooo the stupid thing I did was I did not get her contact info!!! No phone #, email, nada! I checked my caller ID and her # is gone. No messages, nothing. I have another family with an infant that really wants that spot, but I am waiting out for this mom to come thru. BUT she hasnt called me and I cant contact her at all!

She is supposed to start on 7/11 at 7am. So I'm wondering if she'll just show up that day and think thats how I run things. I thought I was really clear about her calling me that Monday she gave her provider notice. :mad:

Anyway - I feel so dumb that I didnt get her phone # to confirm anything. Now I'm waiting for her to contact me and putting other people interested off to wait to see what will happen with this other mom. I only have that one infant space to offer. Arghhh!

I dont know what to do. Anyone else have this happen? What should I do? My hubby says to take this other family and IF that other mom shows up next Monday to tell her she was supposed to call and "sorry"... but I'm too nice for that. My thinking is that maybe I can hold off on this other family & tell the that I will know if I have a space next week --- if that other mom shows up or not.

Any advice?

DBug
07-05-2011, 10:30 AM
Personally, I operate on a first-come, first served basis. If I don't have the registration papers in hand, the spot is still available. When the interview is done, I send families home with all the info, and then do my best to forget about them -- until I hear back from them.

Since you were so clear with her about her calling you to confirm, I'd assume that since she hasn't called, she doesn't want the space after all. Yes, that may mean you have to turn her away at the door, but you have to put your own family first -- not hers. It's your job to make sure your family is provided for by keeping your spots filled (at least, that's what I keep telling myself when I need some backbone ;) ).

MamaBear
07-05-2011, 11:01 AM
I will definitely go by that in the future by telling them exactly that at the tour. I didnt really tell her that she would lose the spot if she didnt call... I just said she needs to call to confirm if she wants it... Maybe that wasnt clear enough? I dont know. I always second guess myself after the fact. But i do remember saying it twice - "dont forget to call me after you give notice so I know that 100% you are coming here and want the space"...

laundrymom
07-05-2011, 11:32 AM
I will definitely go by that in the future by telling them exactly that at the tour. I didnt really tell her that she would lose the spot if she didnt call... I just said she needs to call to confirm if she wants it... Maybe that wasnt clear enough? I dont know. I always second guess myself after the fact. But i do remember saying it twice - "dont forget to call me after you give notice so I know that 100% you are coming here and want the space"...

I would interview with the second family and if they want it enroll. Have them start care. You told first mom to call when she gave notice, she has had over a week to call. She didn't follow through,... She lost out. Maybe the next provider will be treated with respect. Because it seems like you are an afterthought.

snbauser
07-05-2011, 11:41 AM
I agree with pp. If she hasn't had the courtesy to call you and tell you after you asked her twice to do it, is this really the type of parent you want? cut ties, and interview the other family.

wdmmom
07-05-2011, 11:45 AM
No deposit, no paperwork, no spot.

Offer it to your other family. :)

nannyde
07-05-2011, 11:46 AM
You didn't make a mistake.

Never take words for a slot. Only money. You didn't collect money so you didn't have the slot filled. Just interview the next family and go on your way.

She could have had ten things happen between when she gave you words and today. One of them could have been to find free or near free care. Whatever her reason, she is definitely not worrying about her slot with you.

If she comes back expecting a slot and you don't have one available at this time just tell her that.

Christian Mother
07-05-2011, 12:59 PM
I've had a similar situation however I was interviewing for 2 slots and I had 3 families interview. All where great except one family that I knew just wouldn't be a good fit. I explained to all families I was interviewing at this time so they knew I had other families to interview with. All the families seemed very interested. The first family I took right on the spot with them starting that following Mond. The second I knew wouldn't work out and mom said she would discuss with her husband further and contact me back if they choose to go with me. The third family was a good fit but they wanted to check ref. and back ground checks. They said they would get back to me as well. I ended up getting a call from them saying they where very interested and having me watch there son so I signed them up but the other family called saying the same thing and I told them that I was really sorry but I had filled all my spots. She wasn't to happy and said she didn't know that I was interviewing with other families....I was like what?.....

Best to interview with this family and see how they are and get a good ideal on them as a whole and if they don't seem like a good fit then you can wait to see if this other lady calls you back. But, if they are a perfect fit then I wouldn't waist any time filling your spot. You won't even fill guilty bc you will know you made the right decision!! :)

MamaBear
07-05-2011, 01:38 PM
I interviewed the other family on Friday that wants the infant spot. The mom was very interested & flat out told me she wants the spot right there. I had already told her that someone else toured before her and wants the space but I was waiting on her call to confirm. I felt so dumb saying that because obviously I should have gotten her # at the tour.

So this other mom that is interested is waiting on the side for my news. I just go back & forth in my mind if I should tell her that she has the space and forget the other mom. But then what if the other mom just shows up Monday with her kid in tow. I wonder if she'd really do that? Nothing really surprises me anymore I guess.

I just found 3 phone #'s on my caller ID that could be her... I guess I could call each one and see if its her. So lame that I have to go thru all that though. You guys are all right though... I need to just take the other family and tell the other mom basically "you snooze - you lose". :(

littlemissmuffet
07-05-2011, 01:50 PM
What are you waitning for???? Call mom #2 back and let her know when they can start!!!!!!!! You haven't even HEARD from mom #1 and I very much doubt that you will. You're going to end up losing both these oppurtunities. This is your business, you need to treat it as such! You TOLD her to call - she didn't - too bad, she lost out.

SilverSabre25
07-05-2011, 02:30 PM
Even if she does eventually call, she's a bit flaky (didn't call/give notice when she said she would) and that could be a red flag for a flaky parent. Since you have another interested party, I'd take them in a heartbeat!

Kaddidle Care
07-05-2011, 02:38 PM
No deposit, no paperwork, no spot.

Offer it to your other family. :)

What she said! Always ask for a deposit when someone is interested so you know they are serious. A Non-Refundable deposit. ;)

MamaBear
07-05-2011, 04:28 PM
So the first mom calls me just now... Finally! I told her that I was on the verge of giving her space to someone else because of her not calling. How I told her to call me last week and she hadn't. She apologized over & over and said that she was planning to calling today & that she misunderstood what I meant. She thought I said call but not right after she gave notice at the other daycare. I guess it was just misunderstanding... BUT could be a red flag too!

So anyway - she is starting Monday as planned... Trial period in full effect in case this woman is a flaker.

From now on I am going to make it VERY clear to other parents that there space will not be held until they turn in their paperwork and make their first payment. Lesson learned!

The good news is that I'll be able to fit the other daycare child too because one of my others is going part time. So all worked out.

MarinaVanessa
07-05-2011, 04:40 PM
The good news is that I'll be able to fit the other daycare child too because one of my others is going part time. So all worked out.

That's so awesome, I'm glad it worked out for you!!

Christian Mother
07-05-2011, 10:07 PM
That is very cool!! Great to hear!!;)

Unregistered
07-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Why would you want a parent who is so unreliable about doing something so simple as to call you when you asked her to? HUGE red flag!!! You are going to be posting about this one alot. I ask my interviewing parents to complete a few things on a time line and those tasks and their adherance to them are my clues as to how well the family will work for me and my program. In this mom's case, she would have recieved a big fat "F" the minute she didn't call me as asked. I would have given the other parent the space immediatley. Good luck!

MamaBear
07-06-2011, 03:29 PM
Well I guess the red flags were right. The mom just confirmed yesterday that she would start this coming Monday and she called this morning & left a message that she would be here at 6am Monday morning!! I dont open till 7am!!! She knew this and its all over my website. SOOOO I had to call her and tell her it wouldnt work. She claims she didnt know! Weird since we totally had a conversation about my hours when she was touring.

After reading all of your advice and thinking it over, she was really showing signs of being a real flaky drama daycare mom. So I started feeling sick about having her come here. So this solved the problem to just tell her NO. I feel relieved now knowing she wont come after all.

For now on, I'm only taking people who do the paperwork, pay the deposit (which I have never done) and turn it all in asap. No more flakes for me. Thanks for all your advice.

p.s. To Unregistered: Why dont you log in with your name if you want to say something to me?

Unregistered
07-07-2011, 06:59 AM
p.s. To Unregistered: Why dont you log in with your name if you want to say something to me?

Sorry, I didn't have time since I was responding while waiting for an appointment from a smartphone. But either way, I didn't say anything rude. I was simply asking you a question and then offering you some support as to re-thinking your decision.....why the hostility? Not ALL unregistered posters are rude and mean to be insulting.

FTR- I am a registered user/long time member who, as I stated above, didn't have time to log in so thanks for reassuring me that some of the unregistered posters are correcting in stating that there is a bit of a condescending attitude by some of the forum members on this site. The comments I made and the wishes for luck would have not changed in context with my member name attached so what difference would it have made if I had logged in?

MamaBear
07-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Sorry, I didn't have time since I was responding while waiting for an appointment from a smartphone. But either way, I didn't say anything rude. I was simply asking you a question and then offering you some support as to re-thinking your decision.....why the hostility? Not ALL unregistered posters are rude and mean to be insulting.

FTR- I am a registered user/long time member who, as I stated above, didn't have time to log in so thanks for reassuring me that some of the unregistered posters are correcting in stating that there is a bit of a condescending attitude by some of the forum members on this site. The comments I made and the wishes for luck would have not changed in context with my member name attached so what difference would it have made if I had logged in?

Sorry if I read your post in the wrong context. USUALLY from my past experience on here, if someone is posting unregistered, they are usually saying something condescending or judgemental without having to say who they are. I read the "good luck" as sarcastic since the posting was a bit of a downer. If you are registered, you can post as yourself now... lol :p