View Full Version : I Feel Like An Idiot
07-08-2011, 06:02 AM
I was supposed to accept a new baby in September (around the middle of the month). I have been holding the spot for 3 months now. I filled 2 other open ones with siblings but my math calculations were off and the youngest sibling will not be old enough until the END of Oct for me to start another infant.
I feel like a complete idiot, the worst part is this is a friend of the family I was holding the spot for. Now I don't even know what to tell her. Her baby is due in just a few weeks. I can't believe I made such a dumb mistake. How would you fix this if you did it? What would you say to the mommy?
07-08-2011, 07:09 AM
Depending on where you live, you may be able to request a short term variance due to the small amount of time the child will be in the wrong age catagory. I would call your licensor and ask about the variance process. I would do that first before saying anything to the dcm. If you are granted the variance, then you will be able to meet her needs so definately check out your options.
Depending on where you live, you may be able to request a short term variance since the amount of time the child will be in the wrong age catagory. I would call your licensor and ask about the variance process. I would do that first before saying anything to the dcm. If you are granted the variance, then you will be able to meet her needs so definately check out your options.
Exactly what I was going to say!! Sometimes they'll make an exceptions, it's such a short time anyway (a month and a half) and it's deffinetely worth a try. If for whatever reason they say no then you can come back and ask for more advice :lol:. Good luck.
07-08-2011, 07:24 AM
I would try what the pp's recommended - and immediately... because if you are not granted the allowance than the dcm will have time to find other arrangements... which would hopefully (for you) just be temporary until you are able to take the child! Good luck!
07-08-2011, 07:27 AM
I would wait until after this DCM has the child to determine when she will go back to work. If baby is overdue and she decides to take 8 weeks off, it might work out for you! :)
07-08-2011, 07:28 AM
If you can't get a variance, maybe consider hiring a temporary assistant for the time that you would be over limit.
07-08-2011, 09:28 AM
what state are you in? In CA you are NEVER allowed to be over your limit at any time for any reason. CA won't even grant a variance for 5 minutes. Also they won't let you go over your numbers even if you do have a helper..
I would call your state LIC and talk to someone like others said. Ask what your options are. I don't think that I would say anything to the mom unless it comes down to you not being able to get a variance for that period of time.
If you don't get one, talk to the mom right away and let her know how truly sorry you are and see if there is any way she can arrange for the child to not come until you have a spot for the baby???
just my two cents.....
07-08-2011, 01:06 PM
I'd do what the others said, call your licensor first. If they cannot grant a variance, then find out if she can have a family member watch the baby for a short while.
07-08-2011, 01:14 PM
I totally agree with others that you should try to get a variance. Its such a short amount of time that I think they would grant a variance for that. If not, can you hire an assistant or get a volunteer to help out for that month to keep you in ratio?
07-08-2011, 01:47 PM
You are human. ;)
It will work out.
vBulletin® v3.8.0, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.