PDA

View Full Version : For The Love of Pete!!! 45 Mins to Feed 2 Oz?!

sahm2three
07-14-2011, 08:53 AM
My 7 mo who still breastfeeds except for 2 bottles a day is HORRIBLE to feed! It just took me 45 mins to feed her 2 oz. Nipple was fine, checked it many times. She is sucking, so no idea why it takes he so long. I had to just quit feeding her because I don't have that kind of time. She is horrendous to feed so I can't lie her down and have one of the littles hold the bottle for her or anything (like her mom suggested). No idea what to do with her!

SandeeAR
07-14-2011, 08:58 AM
What size nipple are you using? My dcg that is 3 mo is on a #2, the dgb went to a #3 at about 6 months.

sahm2three
07-14-2011, 09:27 AM
What size nipple are you using? My dcg that is 3 mo is on a #2, the dgb went to a #3 at about 6 months.

It is a fast nipple. Not much else I can do!

MG&Lsmom
07-14-2011, 09:30 AM
She probably can't work the bottle. I know you know this, but it's a different kind of suck to get breastmilk from the breast and fluid from the bottle. My two youngest never ever took a bottle for this reason. Not that I didn't try!

Has DCM tried different types of bottles? What about a sippy cup? At 7 months she should be able to hold a double handled sippy for a little bit.

PeanutsGalore
07-14-2011, 09:58 AM
My 7 mo who still breastfeeds except for 2 bottles a day is HORRIBLE to feed! It just took me 45 mins to feed her 2 oz. Nipple was fine, checked it many times. She is sucking, so no idea why it takes he so long. I had to just quit feeding her because I don't have that kind of time. She is horrendous to feed so I can't lie her down and have one of the littles hold the bottle for her or anything (like her mom suggested). No idea what to do with her!

She can't hold her own bottle? My first client could do that at 6 months old, thank god, because she was a grazer. It took her an hour to finish her bottle sometimes, but she didn't really like to be held during feedings--just every other minute of the day!

Don't know if that's a solution if you're licensed (which I'm not), but I think the sooner they start to train to hold the bottle, the better. Try helping her to keep her hands on the bottle while she eats.

Also, is she actually hungry? Even the slow feeders will eat when they're hungry...

MarinaVanessa
07-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Also, is she actually hungry? Even the slow feeders will eat when they're hungry...

I was going to ask the same thing. I feed infants on demand. Even if my own 7mo DS messes around during feedings I just stop.

sahm2three
07-14-2011, 10:19 AM
She can't hold her own bottle? My first client could do that at 6 months old, thank god, because she was a grazer. It took her an hour to finish her bottle sometimes, but she didn't really like to be held during feedings--just every other minute of the day!

Don't know if that's a solution if you're licensed (which I'm not), but I think the sooner they start to train to hold the bottle, the better. Try helping her to keep her hands on the bottle while she eats.

No, she can't hold her own bottle. She has NO desire for a bottle. She wants it from the tap and even pulls at my shirt wanting to get in there! Sorry sweetie, that well dried up LONG ago! lol

PeanutsGalore
07-14-2011, 10:26 AM
Hmm. Well then, ditto MarinaVanessa!

nannyde
07-14-2011, 10:59 AM
How long have you had the baby?

care-care
07-14-2011, 12:46 PM
my very own daughter was just that a slow drinker.. it took her that long id have to stop in middle cuz shed get lazy and change her diaper and rouse her more alert and restart. it was hard but thats just the way she was. if i made hole bigger shed choke so good luck on this baby

cheerfuldom
07-14-2011, 12:54 PM
Is she new? I would put a time limit and then move on to the next duty, especially if she isn't crying for food. She can catch up in the evening or learn to drink when the milk is there. Sorry, thats how I work and its not been a problem for me.

nannyde
07-14-2011, 12:59 PM
No, she can't hold her own bottle. She has NO desire for a bottle. She wants it from the tap and even pulls at my shirt wanting to get in there! Sorry sweetie, that well dried up LONG ago! lol

Why is the Mom putting the child in day care when she knows she's not able to eat?

Did you have her show you that the baby would eat out of a bottle a FULL bottle before she started??????

Never accept a breast fed baby without seeing them eat a FULL bottle in front of you BEFORE they start child care.

You can't have a baby in care that can't eat.