PDA

View Full Version : Popcorn at the movies?

newtodaycare22
07-19-2011, 04:24 AM
Does anyone know how much popcorn runs these days? I'm thinking of taking my 6 preschoolers to a special dollar showing on Thursday (The weather will be 99 degrees :rolleyes:). I want to pass the buck on to the parents but I'm not sure how atrocious the prices aree because I never really go to the movies. Also, has anyone done this? I'm wondering how to handle drinks, as I'd like them to just have water. Thanks!

meganlavonnesmommy
07-19-2011, 04:27 AM
Not sure about your area, but ours is super expensive, around $8 for a large tub. I've never brought daycare kids, but for my own kids, I always buy a large tub, and bring empty plastic cups in my purse. Then I give each kid a cup of popcorn from the big tub. Cheaper that way, and its easier for them to hold onto the plastic cup.
Same for drinks. My kids arent allowed to have soda, and thats all the theater has, except water. So I bring in juice boxes in my purse. You could bring empty cups and fill them with bottled water. Most theaters sell bottled water.

Meyou
07-19-2011, 04:52 AM
I'd just buy a big bag and smuggle bowls into the theatre in your purse. :)

wdmmom
07-19-2011, 05:47 AM
I completely agree! I went to a movie about 3 months ago and went to Walmart and bought the theater boxes of candy. Cost me a whole dollar! Theater charged $3.00 to $3.50 a box! For a large container of popcorn and 2 drinks it was $18! I could have boughten 5 boxes of popcorn and 5 2-liters for that! :eek:

AnythingsPossible
07-19-2011, 06:05 AM
Our theater has special pricing during their summer showings for the kids. I beleive it is $3.00 for a box with popcorn, drink, and small treat. You may call your theater and see if they do this as well.

SilverSabre25
07-19-2011, 06:49 AM
Our theater has special pricing during their summer showings for the kids. I beleive it is $3.00 for a box with popcorn, drink, and small treat. You may call your theater and see if they do this as well.

I was going to say this as well. Also, for those special showings, they often have special tiny things of popcorn for $1. At least, the theatre I used to work at did.

familyschoolcare
07-19-2011, 07:17 AM
call the theater the theater near my house does dollar movies in the summer on Wednesdays and Thursdays and this year is offering jr sodas and popcorn for a dollar

sharlan
07-19-2011, 07:20 AM
As someone else said, call your local theater.

Ours sells the large bucket for $6 and you get 1 free refill. I ask for the little boxes they have, split up the popcorn and get a refill on the spot. I either bring juice boxes or the little bottles of water for the kids.

Our local theater sold booklets good for 10 children's movies for $5 at the beginning of summer.

PitterPatter
07-19-2011, 07:57 AM
Does anyone know how much popcorn runs these days? I'm thinking of taking my 6 preschoolers to a special dollar showing on Thursday (The weather will be 99 degrees :rolleyes:). I want to pass the buck on to the parents but I'm not sure how atrocious the prices aree because I never really go to the movies. Also, has anyone done this? I'm wondering how to handle drinks, as I'd like them to just have water. Thanks!

In my area u get a large bag of popcorn for $10 and it's free refills. Not too bad but still expensive. The drinks are what kill ya here! A regular bottle of plain water is $3.25!!! I am guilty of taking my "big purse" and sneaking a few drinks in for the kids. :ouch: Otherwise I couldn't afford it.

Meeko
07-19-2011, 08:29 AM
Popcorn is yummy....but can also be a choking hazard. My food program advises against it.

I would give a good, wholesome snack before you go and get water while there and then serve ice-cream or something as a special treat when you get home. Much cheaper too!

newtodaycare22
07-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I called, but the "specials" are all for candy. No thanks, not giving them sugar in a movie theater. The tub is actually 6.50 w/a refill which is not as much as I expected. If each kid pays a dollar then it's covered. So, 2 dollars total for a movie and popcorn...I think the parents will be pleased:D

As for the choking hazard, I have 4, 5 and 6 year olds so I'm not overly concerned with it. I'd definitely be more worried with the little ones.

Meeko
07-19-2011, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I called, but the "specials" are all for candy. No thanks, not giving them sugar in a movie theater. The tub is actually 6.50 w/a refill which is not as much as I expected. If each kid pays a dollar then it's covered. So, 2 dollars total for a movie and popcorn...I think the parents will be pleased:D

As for the choking hazard, I have 4, 5 and 6 year olds so I'm not overly concerned with it. I'd definitely be more worried with the little ones.

Go for it! I have a bunch of two year old s and so I stay away from the popcorn. Older kids will do fine. Have fun!

Hunni Bee
07-19-2011, 04:34 PM

I smuggle in our own snacks :D. The big popcorn bucket costs 7.50 and you can feed 20 with it and still have some left over...but then you have to divide it up. Then somebody gets thirsty...then they have to use the bathroom...its a domino effect to me. Plus the LINE is usually atrocious...so I avoid the popcorn pitfall.

Meyou
07-20-2011, 12:48 AM
I smuggle in our own snacks :D. The big popcorn bucket costs 7.50 and you can feed 20 with it and still have some left over...but then you have to divide it up. Then somebody gets thirsty...then they have to use the bathroom...its a domino effect to me. Plus the LINE is usually atrocious...so I avoid the popcorn pitfall.

You've never seen my 7 year old eat popcorn!! She can seriously polish off a large alone. She loves popcorn more than anything in the world. My parents took her to Cirque de Soleil last year and she sweetly told my mom (once she say what was offered at the concession stand) that she better buy her popcorn because I said it was the only thing that kept her calm and in her seat when we were out. It's more that she's so busy eating she can't get into trouble. :lol: