PDA

View Full Version : So I'm Officially Closed Now

elle73
08-16-2011, 02:34 PM
I gave all my daycare parents notice in April that I was moving out of province and closing down, I'm officially closed now and really enjoying spending some time with my family until we move (we are moving later than expected now).

My problem is I really don't know if I should do daycare again or get a job, there are pros and cons to both has anyone on here gone back to work after doing home daycare and how did you like it? One one hand I like the idea of setting my own hours and being my own boss, but I also like the idea of having a job where I can go on vacations (without any hassles) getting a regular income and having benefits.

AnneCordelia
08-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Whether or not I'd do daycare depends on which province I move to, I guess. I'd do dc in Alberta but not in BC, for example. Where are you moving?

What were your reasons for doing DC in the beginning? Are they still good reasons for you or would you have different reasons for going back to it?

Enjoy your down time!!

cheerfuldom
08-16-2011, 03:23 PM
can you get a job making the same income as daycare? do you have young children that would then go to daycare themselves?

wdmmom
08-16-2011, 03:39 PM
I love working for myself and not having to deal with the drama of inner office drama, being stuck with a witch of a boss, mandatory overtime, time restrictions, etc.

There's far too many benefits to me working at home than getting a job in the field I went to school in. I also make more money doing daycare.

You need to determine what's best for you. Can you provide references to prospective clients when you move? Do you have the room in your new home to continue daycare? Is there a high demand for daycare in your new area?

littlemissmuffet
08-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Whether or not I'd do daycare depends on which province I move to, I guess. I'd do dc in Alberta but not in BC, for example. Where are you moving?

What were your reasons for doing DC in the beginning? Are they still good reasons for you or would you have different reasons for going back to it?

Enjoy your down time!!

Just curious why you would do daycare in Alberta but not BC?

Personally, I get sick thinking about the idea of working outside the home. I love being a childcare provider and this is definitely something I plan on doing for another 25-30 years!

elle73
08-16-2011, 03:46 PM
I'm moving to BC lol so curious as to why you wouldn't do daycare in BC?

My husband will be home with the kids so I would not need daycare and my oldest daughter is starting 1st grade and my son will be going into preschool. I started daycare initially because I wanted to stay home with my daughter(she was 2 when I started) but now that my husband will be home with them I feel like I should go back to work(we always wanted at least one of us to be home with them).

My husband is very supportive and he told me to do what makes me happy so there's no pressure there.

AnneCordelia
08-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but my understanding is that to care for more than 2 children in BC I'd have to be licensed and I'm not interested in that. I'm in Ontario and don't have to be. I prefer it that way. Is that incorrect info?

littlemissmuffet
08-16-2011, 07:49 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but my understanding is that to care for more than 2 children in BC I'd have to be licensed and I'm not interested in that. I'm in Ontario and don't have to be. I prefer it that way. Is that incorrect info?

Good call. Yes, you're correct. I totally forgot about that. You must be licensed if taking more than 2 non-relative children... unless, the children are in a sibling group of more than 2.