PDA

View Full Version : Staying Home

Unregistered
12-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Hi Ladies,

I need some advice. I have 2 kids in a home daycare that I love. My oldest is almost 4 and has been there since she was 3 months old. We have become good friends with our provider and have even gone on a vacation with them, they have been to our house etc. We love her and her family and she loves my kids. Well, our life has gotten way to hectic lately and we have decided that I should stay home. It will be tight but I just feel like if we are going to do it, we need to do it while the kids are young.

I have never talked to my DCprovidor about me wanting to stay home because up until recently, it was never possible. I plan to talk to her after the holidays. I will most likely quit in early March so I will be giving about 2 months of notice. I am also going to ask her if my oldest could come 2 mornings per week still for some social interaction and because I know that she truly loves and would miss our daycare provider.

Anyways, I really dread this conversation with her because I don't want her to have hurt feelings (not sure if she would) or anything about this. I also worry about the financial hit because I know she has some personal things going on. Is there anything you all would want in this situation that I can do in addition to the long notice? I do worry that she will say yes to my child coming those 2 days and it will take up a full time spot she could use for another kid but she won't want to say no to my kid. If that makes any sense at all.

Anyways, I feel SICK about this because she is a true friend to me and would like any advice I can get.

Thanks.

Zoe
12-13-2011, 07:55 AM
When I was a teacher, I had this great daycare provider. After a while, I realized that I was miserable and wanted to become a stay at home mom. I hadn't talked to the provider about it yet, and she was a little surprised when I gave her my notice, but I very clearly explained why I was leaving and how it had NOTHING to do with her wonderful service. She was sad to see the kids go, but she completely understood.

Just be honest. She'll understand. :)

dave4him
12-13-2011, 08:08 AM
Be honest, being able to stay at home with your kids is a blessing. She will understand.

Meeko
12-13-2011, 08:18 AM
I have had a few moms leave over the years to be stay at home moms. I have been happy for every single one of them. It's how it SHOULD be.

morgan24
12-13-2011, 08:21 AM
I wouldn't be mad at a parent who gave me notice to stay home with their kids. I would be happy for them being able to. I lost one of my best client last year when she lost her job and decided not to look for another one. I had her son from the time he was 3 (he is 6 now) and her 8 month old daughter(she is 4) and she had another daughter in August. I'm glad she is taking the chance to stay how with the baby. I was sad, but we keep in touch so I still get to see the kids and she fills in for me at daycare if I need her to.

I would give her notice as soon as possible to give her the chance to fill her spots. If you ask her about the 2 days a week and she doesn't want to do it, don't be offended, she may need to have all her spaces full time.

mismatchedsocks
12-13-2011, 08:22 AM
You will be giving her a lot of notice, a great reason and its not like you are unhappy. If you are worried about her saving a fulltime spot for your daughter say this.
"when you have some hours open that you are not full, can you let me know so my daughter can still come to get interaction and see you?"

I do this for two families. I let them know when I have openings and they can come if they want. :)

MNMum
12-13-2011, 08:29 AM
Anyone doing home daycare will most likely be very happy for you! I agree with a previous poster, don't be offended if the 2 days/week don't work for her. And approach her with the option to say no to this.

AnneCordelia
12-13-2011, 08:34 AM
I would be very happy for any of my parents if they presented me with the same situation! What a wonderful opportunity for you and your kids.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to hold a parttime spot because I can't financially take on a parttimer where I could have a fulltimer. I think it will be fine so long as you are prepared for her to not be able to accomodate that.