11-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Hello. In my child's pre-school, we use reuable plastic cups and plates and follow our county health department guidelines for washing them in soapy water, then soaking them in a bleach solution (1 gallon water + 1 tablespoon bleach), and then allowing them to air dry on a drying rack. There is some concern among parents that the children (2-5 years old) are ingesting bleach. Although I know that the bleach evaporates from the plates and cups, I cannot find anything from an authoritative source that explains that this is indeed a safe practice and that our kids are not "drinking bleach". Have any of you seen anything on this or can point me to a site that explains why this is ok (the CDC and foodsafety.gov sites just tell you how to do it, not why it's safe).