Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   SUCKY First Month Of Being Opened! :( (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32260)

Christina72684 07-08-2011 05:00 PM

SUCKY First Month Of Being Opened! :(

I opened my daycare home on June 11th, so it's been a month now. So far I've had

one full time 5yr old boy from the beginning
2 part time girls (they've came 2x now) 6 and 8yrs old
2 full time kids for 2 weeks (2nd grade boy and 5th grade girl)
my 3month old daughter
my assistant's 3 kids (3, 9, and 11).

We made $440 in 4 weeks. $400 of that was the 5 yr old boy and then $40 was the 2 girls. The 2nd grade boy and 5th grade girl hasn't paid because their dad is doing some construction work on the house that we traded for. I told my assistant that she could have her 3yr old boy there for free since we can't pay her a lot, and then her 9 and 11 yr old girls are there while schools out, but they are so much help I'm not charging for them either.

After paying my assistant $320, that leaves $120 left to pay the house payment, utilities, food, other supplies, oh and myself and my mom (we co-own it)....this SUCKS!!! We need more kids bad! I have 2 babies and a 3 yr old that will start within the next month, but I need more than that!

Any suggestions on how to get more kids, or how to save money on things?

littlemissmuffet 07-08-2011 06:49 PM

Wow... you're serioussly going to have to rethink the way you're doing business, hun! And right NOW!!

I would never hire an assistant who's children took up THREE spaces.

I would never trade services rather than recieve payment.

I do not take part timers. At least not at part time rates. Everyone here pays the same flat monthy rate ragrdless of hours. PTimers take up valauable spaces and don't provide the income those spaces could otherwise make!

I wish you all the best - I know by re-thinking a few things you can make this work - hang in there! :Sunny:

Christina72684 07-08-2011 07:21 PM

The spaces don't matter because I'm no where near full! I can have 12 kids, well 11 because I have to count mine. I'm on the food program so food costs don't bother me. My assistant's 2 older girls are a HUGE help with the other kids and my daughter, plus they're only here for the summer. Trading services was a much better deal than receiving payment. We're replacing flooring, and if he would have charged me to do it, it would have cost more than what I'm charging to have his kids there. I can't be picky about what kids I take or don't take. If I didn't have part timers then that's 2 more kids I wouldn't have, and therefore income I wouldn't have. So until I'm near full I'll take them. I think that makes sense for now.

TBird 07-08-2011 07:30 PM

Oh gosh...:(

This sounds so harsh but no Part Timers...EVER unless they're temporary and know they're getting the BOOT as soon as some full timers come along. I learned that one the hard way.

Your assistant has too many kids (and I don't mean that in a bad way...I have three kids myself and thank the good Lord they don't count in my numbers).

All I can say is make friends with EVERYBODY...hang out at the deli, the park, your kids' school, the library...people like to "know" who their daycare provider is and see you in action. Always carry cards & flyers and put your kids to work too...my 7 year old has probably handed out more cards than I have. I actually asked the nearby deli owner to put my cards and flyers in the deli and HE wound up calling me to sign up his nephew AND his little girl will be starting with me in September. And he gives us FREE pizza & wings whenever we want it. MAKE FRIENDS WITH EVERYBODY!!!

Good luck Sweetie and keep us posted...it'll get better!!!;)

Unregistered 07-08-2011 07:51 PM

ok - so a smooth soft opening.

Count the value of what you bartered for. Consider paying your assistant the cost of her child's care while he is there and having her pay you for it for tax purposes.

Gear up for an open house and family potluck and go to as many kid friendly outing places as you can. Remember that the whole world shifts when school starts.

If you have had any inquiries that didn't pan out - look them over.

Visit the local churches who don't have full time childcare - or even those that do an offer your services (as an alternative for those that do).

See about putting flyers in the pet stores, pediatricians, book stores...

Go to the Park! A lot. Look good there too and behave well (which I am sure you do, but I have been really shocked at what I've seen some daycare groups do).

Look into one of those sticker/magnets for your car?

Make sure you are listed on all the referral sites for your area.

Hang in there!

MyAngels 07-08-2011 08:49 PM

What are you doing now to advertise?

As the PP said, talk to everyone, whether you know them or not, and mention your daycare. As your family, your friends, anyone you can think of to do the same.

I would consider sending out a targeted postcard mailer in your area where mostly families live. It's something you could prepare yourself and fairly inexpensive to mail.

Where I am there are a couple of large companies that have their own internal referal services, but you have to either have your name entered on it by a company employee or call the HR department and ask to be listed. I get calls every week from these two companies without ever having lifted a finger.

I once saw a basket of sugar free suckers at my dentist's office with a business card attached by ribbon to each one. I thought that was creative. You could see if some doctors, dentists, the bank, etc. would allow you to put something like that out.

I'm sure others will have some good suggestions, too.

Chin up, it will pick up soon:).

heyhun77 07-08-2011 08:56 PM

I agree, get to know as many people in your community as possible. I frequently take the daycare kids out into the community and I get a lot of referrals from people that see us out and about. Be sure to have a good plan when you leave the house with daycare children because you are really a walking advertisement and when you are toting 8-10 children with you it's kind of a specticle and people are watching everything you do with the children including how you react to their behavior (which they will make sure you get to show your responses to every type of behavior). Lay out clear expectations for your time away from the daycare property and then go forth with a well-stocked backpack/bag with the essentials including things to keep the kids busy. We walk to the nearby hospital and say hello to the main door greeter and the coffee shop ladies, we go to the neighborhood coffeeshop/bakery, I take the kids to the bank (not on a regular basis but to get cash for field trips or to run change through their machine), we go to the library, baseball games, park district programming, etc. We also ride the city buses when we go outside of the neighborhood and I have met lots of clients that way including bus drivers.

I also agree that the quickest way to stability is to only accept full time contracts. That said, I spent my first 3-4 months taking whatever clients I could get which included part time, evening, weekend, overnight, daytime and anything in between in order to get my name out there. You do what you have to do in order to get going. However, I didn't have an assistant until I had 6 kids in care full time. Even now with 8 full time kids I only have an assistant for about 10 hours total a week during our busiest time of the day and even then part of that is durning naptime so it's kind of a mother's helper situation because I am able to have her run errands, fold laundry, clean, prep food, pretty much anything I need to get done.

Abigail 07-08-2011 09:13 PM

I agree with not having an assistant until you're at the point where you NEED one. You are not getting any income from her three kids and you are paying her 75% of your paycheck....it should be the other way around. Ask her to help advertise or else she should have one month left with you.

laurasophia 07-09-2011 05:24 AM

Ugh

I wish I'd never stumbled on this forum this a.m. I am sick to my stomach reading all the posts about the MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!

I am now a grandma, and I used daycare as a mother of 4 children, but I never realized what drives providers!! I have been COMPLETELY naive about why people do childcare.

I want you to all know that you have cleared up that naivety for me. I will NEVER allow my grandkids to be cared for in a child care setting EVER again. I am going to refer this forum to every young mother I know starting with my own daughters. Mothers need to read and know the comments on here and just how sooo many providers feel about issues involving their children!!!

nannyde 07-09-2011 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by TBird:
Oh gosh...:(

This sounds so harsh but no Part Timers...EVER unless they're temporary and know they're getting the BOOT as soon as some full timers come along. I learned that one the hard way.

Your assistant has too many kids (and I don't mean that in a bad way...I have three kids myself and thank the good Lord they don't count in my numbers).

All I can say is make friends with EVERYBODY...hang out at the deli, the park, your kids' school, the library...people like to "know" who their daycare provider is and see you in action. Always carry cards & flyers and put your kids to work too...my 7 year old has probably handed out more cards than I have. I actually asked the nearby deli owner to put my cards and flyers in the deli and HE wound up calling me to sign up his nephew AND his little girl will be starting with me in September. And he gives us FREE pizza & wings whenever we want it. MAKE FRIENDS WITH EVERYBODY!!!

Good luck Sweetie and keep us posted...it'll get better!!!;)

Free wings???????????

I'm not a jealous person but I'm sitting here green with envy over free wings. I wish my day care parents would bring me free wings.

I love me some of those. :D:D:D:D:D The hot spicy ones with blue cheese dressing.

nannyde 07-09-2011 05:56 AM

Can I ask why you have an assistant? Do you have to have one for your license and possible capacity?????

You are going to sink really quickly if you don't completely redo this.

TBird 07-09-2011 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by nannyde:
Free wings???????????

I'm not a jealous person but I'm sitting here green with envy over free wings. I wish my day care parents would bring me free wings.

I love me some of those. :D:D:D:D:D The hot spicy ones with blue cheese dressing.

Girrrrrrrrrrrl...those are the best pizza & wings you ever want to taste (could partly be because they're FREE but I do love me some wings)!!!:lol:

But seriously though...I feel kinda guilty about it so I only sneak in there once maybe twice a month. I try to go when he's not there but he's always there!!! He always over-pays me for childcare and then he doesn't want me to pay for anything when we go into the deli (that includes hubby & kids). This is one instance where marketing and bugging the heck out of a store owner really worked out but GUILT is my middle name so I use the hookup sparingly and try not to take advantage. :o

jen 07-09-2011 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by laurasophia:
I wish I'd never stumbled on this forum this a.m. I am sick to my stomach reading all the posts about the MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!

I am now a grandma, and I used daycare as a mother of 4 children, but I never realized what drives providers!! I have been COMPLETELY naive about why people do childcare.

I want you to all know that you have cleared up that naivety for me. I will NEVER allow my grandkids to be cared for in a child care setting EVER again. I am going to refer this forum to every young mother I know starting with my own daughters. Mothers need to read and know the comments on here and just how sooo many providers feel about issues involving their children!!!

AWESOME! All children are better off with family members! I think its great that you are going to step up and care for your grandchildren.

daysofelijah 07-09-2011 07:17 AM

I would have waited on the assistant until you needed one. You don't need an assistant to watch 2-3 kids do you? Otherwise good advice on pp on advertising. Keep getting your name out there, get t-shirts made for the kids when you are out and about, put a sign in your yard, ads on craigslist and in local shopper. Make sure your CCR&R has all you information up to date, I got most of my kids from CCR&R when I started. Eventually most of your clients will (hopefully) come from referrals, but you have to get those first few through advertising.

nannyde 07-09-2011 07:46 AM

I have been COMPLETELY naive about why people do childcare.

In case you are still confused as to our motives: We do it for money.

3kidzmama 07-09-2011 07:50 AM

WTH lady????? This is our method of making a living. Of course it's about money!!!!

cheerfuldom 07-09-2011 08:12 AM

I'm not ashamed to say that I do it for the money. Taking care of kids is HARD work. You should know that, you're a mom and grandma. You do it because these kids are family and you love them. But they are not my family and I don't have the same love for them so why else would I take care of someone else's children??!! There are many of us who do genuinely love kids and love our job but that doesn't mean we do it for free. Other people in other jobs might love their job but that doesn't mean that they are doing it for free either. This is the way the world goes round and many people do not have the luxury of free childcare from grandma. If it makes you feel any better, I take care of 6 kids all day every day (50+ hours a week) and get paid slave wages after you deduct supplies, utilities and everything else. So its not like I am a millionaire over here.

Also curious, why DID you think people do childcare?

cheerfuldom 07-09-2011 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by nannyde:
In case you are still confused as to our motives: We do it for money.

Should we make daycare.com tshirts....."DC providers do it for money" hee hee

SilverSabre25 07-09-2011 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:

:lol::Kiss:;)

Hunni Bee 07-09-2011 08:31 AM

Great. More parents and grandparents should be as involved and vigilant as you.

But I'll tell you a secret. If most of us were REALLY just in it for the money, we WOULDN'T be in it. Especially those of us who work at centers.

The OP obviously isn't in it for the money because netting $120 for a month and even thinking of continuing to operate indicates a desire deeper than just money.

Also, to provide quality child care COSTS money. Food, utilities, insurance, equipment, toys, cleaning supplies, activities, employees, certifications, vehicles...it all cost lots of money. Parents expect that their children are receiving these things freely. Through some unfortunate events, I've found myself RUNNING a child care center at this time. And the fact of the matter is we regularly get stiffed by parents who will buy their kids expensive tennis shoes and not pay their daycare.

A provider who isn't taking in enough money to at least break even is not able to provide quality care for your kids. Plus, you do expect her to be able to make a living, right?? So in order to do that, a top concern must be money.

Blackcat31 07-09-2011 09:16 AM

People who do things for free purely out of love are called volunteers.
People who get paid for the things they love doing are called childcare providers. :)

sharlan 07-09-2011 10:00 AM

I would start by letting go of your assistant. 4 FT and 2 PT don't require 5 people watching over them.

sharlan 07-09-2011 10:28 AM

Sorry, quoted wrong person.

sharlan 07-09-2011 10:29 AM

Give me a friggin' break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started providing daycare 27 yrs ago so that I could stay home and take care of my daughters. I went through 10 babysitters, everything from neighbors to teenagers to licensed providers in a little over 2 years. My girls have the horror stories and scars to prove it. Yes, my 32 yo still has a scar from a bite to her chest.

I wanted to provide a safe, loving environment so that other kids wouldn't go through what mine did. I wanted to provide a loving home away from home so that other children would know they were cherished. My "daycare kids" were treated with the same love and respect that my own were. I never played favorites with any of them.

In order for me to not "work" I had to provide an income to help pay the bills. Believe it or not, it costs money to provide daycare. There's an increase in utilities, groceries, tp, gas for the car because I wanted to provide outings that the parents didn't have time for, wear and tear on my home, etc. 8 lunches at McD's instead of 2, 8 ice creams at the drugstore versus 2. It costs "ME" money to take care of someone else's child.

Right now, I provide care for my grandchildren. Do I want them going somewhere else? NO! I want to be an important part of their lives. I want all of their hugs and kisses and don't want to share them. I don't even want to share them with their other grandparents. (Get the picture? Yes, I'm selfish and want it all.) I do know that there are other providers out there who would take great care of them. I am in a situation where I can do it. Not all grandparents can.

I do agree that some of the members here seem to be money driven. This is a forum for providers to bounce ideas off of each other. This is a forum for providers to vent to each other. Many providers are isolated in that they are home all day with a group of children with very little interaction with adults. This forum provides them with an outlet to talk to other adults with the same interests.

Yes, please send young mothers here to read. They need to be educated to learn what they do and don't want in a provider. They need to learn the options available to them.

Oh, and by the way, there are a lot of grandparents and other family members that are caring for children who shouldn't be. The kids physical needs are being met, but the kids social needs aren't. They get wonderful cooked meals and fresh baked cookies, lots of hugs and kisses, but they also get the tv and videos all day long because grandma doesn't have the energy or desire to run and play and interact all day.

cheerfuldom 07-09-2011 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by sharlan:
Give me a friggin' break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I started providing daycare 27 yrs ago so that I could stay home and take care of my daughters. I went through 10 babysitters, everything from neighbors to teenagers to licensed providers in a little over 2 years. My girls have the horror stories and scars to prove it. Yes, my 32 yo still has a scar from a bite to her chest.

I wanted to provide a safe, loving environment so that other kids wouldn't go through what mine did. I wanted to provide a loving home away from home so that other children would know they were cherished. My "daycare kids" were treated with the same love and respect that my own were. I never played favorites with any of them.

In order for me to not "work" I had to provide an income to help pay the bills. Believe it or not, it costs money to provide daycare. There's an increase in utilities, groceries, tp, gas for the car because I wanted to provide outings that the parents didn't have time for, wear and tear on my home, etc. 8 lunches at McD's instead of 2, 8 ice creams at the drugstore versus 2. It costs "ME" money to take care of someone else's child.

Right now, I provide care for my grandchildren. Do I want them going somewhere else? NO! I want to be an important part of their lives. I want all of their hugs and kisses and don't want to share them. I don't even want to share them with their other grandparents. (Get the picture? Yes, I'm selfish and want it all.) I do know that there are other providers out there who would take great care of them. I am in a situation where I can do it. Not all grandparents can.

I do agree that some of the members here seem to be money driven. This is a forum for providers to bounce ideas off of each other. This is a forum for providers to vent to each other. Many providers are isolated in that they are home all day with a group of children with very little interaction with adults. This forum provides them with an outlet to talk to other adults with the same interests.

Yes, please send young mothers here to read. They need to be educated to learn what they do and don't want in a provider. They need to learn the options available to them.

Oh, and by the way, there are a lot of grandparents and other family members that are caring for children who shouldn't be. The kids physical needs are being met, but the kids social needs aren't. They get wonderful cooked meals and fresh baked cookies, lots of hugs and kisses, but they also get the tv and videos all day long because grandma doesn't have the energy or desire to run and play and interact all day.
Today 10:00 AM

Amen to the bold! You have no idea what a group of children who are in your home will do it. Even if you have a structured environment and well behaved kids, that A LOT of traffic in and out of the home when you include the parents coming and going as well. I have had thousands of dollars in wear to my home and little of it was intention (like kids actually destroying stuff). It is mostly flooring and repainting but also yard work from parents tramping through the lawn (when there is a walkway one foot away) and the like. A constant rotation of toys, equipment, blankets and supplies for all these kids. A new vacuum when the old one dies from overuse and other things you would never think of until you actually had to pay for it.

sharlan 07-09-2011 10:47 AM

I apologize for the OT tantrum, but my pet peeve is somebody stating that kids would be better off with family members than a stranger (ie daycare provider).

littlemissmuffet 07-09-2011 01:04 PM

You said it. :lol:

Your grandchilren's doctors... they do it for the money.
Your grandchildren's teachers... also for the money.
Your grandchildren's babysitters... yep, for the money.

I'd like you to find one person in this world who chose a fantasticly rewarding career in life who provide their services for free.

You won't.

By the way - I only make $12 an hour. That's $2.40 per child per hour. After factoring in food costs, supplies, and all of my overhead to run this business - I only make about $6 an hour. That's $1.20 per child per hour. If you don't think your grandchildren are worth that - no childcare provider wants YOU!

Yup, I do this just for the wealth. :lol::rolleyes:

Blackcat31 07-09-2011 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by sharlan:
I apologize for the OT tantrum, but my pet peeve is somebody stating that kids would be better off with family members than a stranger (ie daycare provider).

I have to respectively disagree with this. There are many wonderful and loving childcare providers out there but there is absolutely NO substitution that compares to a wonderful and loving family member for a child.

sharlan 07-09-2011 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have to respectively disagree with this. There are many wonderful and loving childcare providers out there but there is absolutely NO substitution that compares to a wonderful and loving family member for a child.

Sadly, there are a lot of not so wonderful and not so loving family members that watch kids out of obligation. (My MIL was one of them.) I've seen more than a few. I've also seen paid providers that I wouldn't leave a goldfish with.

Crazy8 07-09-2011 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
People who do things for free purely out of love are called volunteers.
People who get paid for the things they love doing are called childcare providers. :)

I love this!!!

I do not provide daycare ONLY for the money, but ummmm... without the money how the heck would I pay the mortgage that keeps a roof over all those little ones heads for 40+ hours a week?????

christinaskids 07-10-2011 08:59 PM

Anyway, back to the original post. It took me about 6 months to really build up my business. I took kids and still do for 24 hours a day during the week and I also took on part time kids until my business got going better. I also relied on my husbands income to really pay the bills until I got going better. I did not start my business until he had a good income or we had enough money saved to pay bills for about 6 months. I would suggest to take the part time kids until you get more fulltime kids. I advertised for both, then when I started filling up, I advertised for fulltime kids only. U gotta do what you gotta do to get going until your business finally starts going. Just make sure your daycare is marketable, you are presenting yourself as trustworthy, u are licensed and you have lots of toys and activities available for kids. My daycare parents really like that I take my daycare kids out for trips often.

And yes lady, I do it for the money to provide for my 3 children. I also do it to watch my son grow up and mostly to be an available parent to my 2 stepchildren who had a mother that abandoned them many times. I felt it was important for them to have a parent around often to help 'heal' from their abandonment. I really don't know anyone that works for free.

DBug 07-11-2011 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:

I'll buy one!!:lol::lol:

laundrymom 07-11-2011 10:37 AM

Believe me,... I'm glad you are here! The more people you send here will educate even MORE people that we are HUMAN, this is our JOB! , we do it to earn INCOME. We use that income to pay BILLS. We don't invite people into our homes and work very hard for 10-13 hours a day for our HEALTH, or because we are nice people. This is how we feed our families. If you have such a problem with people expecting payment then maybe you should open a free service for parents in your community, so not only will your own grandkids get you for a provider, but the rest of your community can have such a giving person to care for them too! FOR FREE! how wonderful would that be?! I can guarantee you will have people lining up on your waiting list for an opening. Good luck with that!!!!

lil angels 07-11-2011 12:30 PM

Just because you stumbled on this forum this morning it didn't mean that you need to post anything!!!!! What a great personality you must have I bet people love to spend their time with you.:eek:

Unregistered 07-11-2011 01:53 PM

Regarding daycare

Originally Posted by Christina72684:
I opened my daycare home on June 11th, so it's been a month now. So far I've had

one full time 5yr old boy from the beginning
2 part time girls (they've came 2x now) 6 and 8yrs old
2 full time kids for 2 weeks (2nd grade boy and 5th grade girl)
my 3month old daughter
my assistant's 3 kids (3, 9, and 11).

We made $440 in 4 weeks. $400 of that was the 5 yr old boy and then $40 was the 2 girls. The 2nd grade boy and 5th grade girl hasn't paid because their dad is doing some construction work on the house that we traded for. I told my assistant that she could have her 3yr old boy there for free since we can't pay her a lot, and then her 9 and 11 yr old girls are there while schools out, but they are so much help I'm not charging for them either.

After paying my assistant $320, that leaves $120 left to pay the house payment, utilities, food, other supplies, oh and myself and my mom (we co-own it)....this SUCKS!!! We need more kids bad! I have 2 babies and a 3 yr old that will start within the next month, but I need more than that!

Any suggestions on how to get more kids, or how to save money on things?

Hi! A little advise for the assistance with the 3yr old. I'm not sure what her financial situation is, but i know that there is a program called 4c's that is a government program that helps pay for daycare for working moms. Maybe threw that program she can get funds to pay the daycare for her sons tuition .

I also am opening a small daycare in my town in New Jersey. I am renting a building in a strip mall that holds 15 kids and am hoping for the best. Good luck!!!

Jennifer

mrsking14 07-11-2011 05:08 PM

I agree with everyone else. This is exactly why I will not take part time or drop in children. Strictly full time, and they are to pay me the weekly fee whether they are here 5 days or 1 day. Parents are fine with that because they understand it is MY income and I have a family too.

SilverSabre25 07-11-2011 06:04 PM

Ya know what? I think I'd be concerned about a provider that didn't seem to be in it "for the money" or seemed too happy to provide cheap/free care. What's happening during the day? What is the provider getting out of it? Why is it worth it if they aren't getting paid? Unfortunately I can think of all too many possibilities why someone would be happy to keep kids for nothing but still be getting something out of it...:(

OP, I'm sorry you had such a rough first month. Def. look at some of this advice that the, um, "on topic" posters have provided and see where you can make some changes. No one can fault you for needing to make more, really.