Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do You Play With Clay? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85286)

MissAnn 01-30-2017 06:15 AM

Do You Play With Clay?

Great for fine motor skills but apparently one mom doesn't want her son to play with it. I like clay because it's great for fine motor skills.....harder to work than play dough. Kids are so lacking in gross and fine motor skills these days. I guess he went home with some in his fingernails. Just wondering if any of you do clay?

DaveA 01-30-2017 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Great for fine motor skills but apparently one mom doesn't want her son to play with it. I like clay because it's great for fine motor skills.....harder to work than play dough. Kids are so lacking in gross and fine motor skills these days. I guess he went home with some in his fingernails. Just wondering if any of you do clay?

Not as often as we make playdough but we use it. Never had a DCP complain about it however.

Puddleduck 01-30-2017 08:18 AM

We use clay daily. I tell potential daycare parents during the interview that I'm a huge fan of messy play so parents who aren't okay with it just move on to different providers. Most parents love it because they know their kids are having a blast and they don't have to deal with the mess (except what comes home under the nails lol).

MissAnn 01-30-2017 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Puddleduck:
We use clay daily. I tell potential daycare parents during the interview that I'm a huge fan of messy play so parents who aren't okay with it just move on to different providers. Most parents love it because they know their kids are having a blast and they don't have to deal with the mess (except what comes home under the nails lol).

I tell my parents the same thing but I don't think they realize what it might entail. This mom is on my last nerve.

finsup 01-30-2017 10:10 AM

Yes we do! No parents have complained yet, but they're probably just happy the project didn't involve glitter ;) lol.

Dcm is of course, welcome to pick up anytime the clay comes out ;) ...It's just like really?! Clay got under his nails? A bath will take care of that. Trimming his nails will take care of that. Seriously people, let kids be kids! A little clay or dirt under the nails isn't going to hurt them.

Jupadia 01-30-2017 10:30 AM

I've only had one parent complain about the potential of their kid getting dirty from crafts, playdough or sand. I ended up letting them know during the interview they would not be a good fit.

happymom 01-30-2017 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by finsup:
Yes we do! No parents have complained yet, but they're probably just happy the project didn't involve glitter ;) lol.

:lol: glitter is the worst

Play Care 01-30-2017 10:45 AM

Yes we do clay, glitter, paints, etc.
I use smocks on all the kids, which keeps their clothing in reasonably good condition.
While I do make it clear that we can get dirty, and to send them in old/play clothing, and they do, I do try to be mindful that clothing costs add up. :o

daycarediva 01-30-2017 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Play Care:
Yes we do clay, glitter, paints, etc.
I use smocks on all the kids, which keeps their clothing in reasonably good condition.
While I do make it clear that we can get dirty, and to send them in old/play clothing, and they do, I do try to be mindful that clothing costs add up. :o

Same. I even go as far as trying to make it all washable, I wash all of the kids clothing and return to cubbies here.

If a parent complained about something under a kids fingernails, they would be told "Oh, yes I noticed that they need to be cut."

because what? A bath and proper grooming fixes all that.

Blackcat31 01-30-2017 12:14 PM

Was she specific as to why?
Does she feel this way about other messy activities or just clay?

MarinaVanessa 01-30-2017 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I'm curious to know this too.

We use clay and I personally like it better than play dough. It doesn't have that weird smell and I feel like the kids keep the mess contained better with clay than they do with the playdough (maybe because playdough is easier to pull apart??) Seems really weird to me that a parent have an issue with clay.

Maybe because it's polymer??? But unless you're going to let the kids eat an extreme amount of it it's unlikely that they'll get sick from it. Clay is handled pretty much like any other play dough ... wash your hands before and after playing with it, don't eat it, don't eat off of it, use separate tools and utensils for playdough/clay than the ones that you use for food prep.

Mom2Two 01-30-2017 06:43 PM

What brand do you all use or where do you get it from? I would like to do real clay if possible, but doesn't real clay involve a lot of water?

Unregistered 01-31-2017 03:48 AM

I do it all. Clay, glitter, paint, etc. not afraid of messy fun here!

Clay is always available as a small motor table activity along with my other art supplies unless I rotate it out. I have cheaper scissors in the bin and the kids love to roll it out and cut it up!

I love that it never dries out. I use Crayola.

I would tell this parent these creative activities are a part of my program and I think they are very important!

MissAnn 01-31-2017 07:02 PM

She hasn't been picky about messy play that I know of, but she is randomly picky about other things. One time she texted to ask what happened to his head. She texted late on a Friday night. I had no idea anything was wrong with his head. Turned out to be a spot of red paint in his hair and she thought he was bleeding.

Another time she blamed his leg cramps on me not giving him enough water. They have water bottled out all day.

daycare 01-31-2017 07:12 PM

Omg our QRISwont let us use glitter. I love anything that sparkles lol

I love clay. Especially wet clay. Lol and we even stomp in it.

Blackcat31 02-01-2017 06:48 AM

She hasn't been picky about messy play that I know of, but she is randomly picky about other things. One time she texted to ask what happened to his head. She texted late on a Friday night. I had no idea anything was wrong with his head. Turned out to be a spot of red paint in his hair and she thought he was bleeding.

Another time she blamed his leg cramps on me not giving him enough water. They have water bottled out all day.

Since it does seem to be clay she has an issue with, could you set him up with some other type of dough or a different activity all together when the other kids use clay.

My DH had a huge issue with Play-doh. The actual brand of Play-doh. He could not tolerate the smell. It literally made him gag and dry heave.

That's why I wondered if it was clay specifically or messy activities that she was upset/picky about.

I guess the only other alternative I see is ask her for a list of materials that are okay/acceptable. I guess I don't see this as any different than parents that pick/choose what items they approve to be applied or used on their child (sun screen/lotions etc)

MissAnn 02-02-2017 06:22 AM

Since it does seem to be clay she has an issue with, could you set him up with some other type of dough or a different activity all together when the other kids use clay.

My DH had a huge issue with Play-doh. The actual brand of Play-doh. He could not tolerate the smell. It literally made him gag and dry heave.

That's why I wondered if it was clay specifically or messy activities that she was upset/picky about.

I guess the only other alternative I see is ask her for a list of materials that are okay/acceptable. I guess I don't see this as any different than parents that pick/choose what items they approve to be applied or used on their child (sun screen/lotions etc)

The mom has never mentioned it to me.....but the boy keeps saying his mom told him not to play with clay. The kids get to choose what they want to play with here....so unless there's some sort of allergy, he can choose clay.

Oh....I might be hearing more from mom though. He is 4 and I have him wipe his own bottom. Now he is telling me his mom won't let him wipe himself and she doesn't want him to. I know she is a little OCD about things....so I think this is true. I have him wipe, then I check, then he washes hands.