Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Payment Due Upon Leaving (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2492)

pingaa3 06-03-2008 05:46 PM

Payment Due Upon Leaving

Ok folks, here's my newest question to everyone. I have a child who is leaving on the 17th. This was my first client and our contract had payment due for the month on the following 5th day of the next month. Since then, a year ago, I have put all other clients on a pay in advance in two week increments contract.

I requested that this parent pay me for June's childcare on the 17th, the child's last day of care. The parent was p.o.'d about that. I then requested a post-dated check for the 5th as an alternative. They didn't want that and said they would talk to their spouse about it.

What are your policies on something like this? Is it unrealistic for me to expect payment before the last day for a child that is leaving?

pingaa3

mac60 06-04-2008 01:47 AM

No, I do not think it is being unreasonable to ask. But, if you are changing your pay policy for them for the final weeks, I guess I can understand them possibly not being too happy. I am understanding that you are concerned that they will leave without making that final payment?

As far as a post dated check, having a mom that works in a bank,,,,,there is no such thing as a post dated check, at least they are not honored in our area.

Beyond asking that they pay you in advance for the final weeks, I don't know what else you can do. Unfortunately, you may have to just wait it out and hope they are fair to you and don't skiff out.

Good luck.

Unregistered 07-21-2008 02:00 PM

post dated check

They would be foolish to give you a post dated check. Like the earlier post said, there is no such thing to the bank. You are asking them to trust you not to deposit it early but you are trusting them to make the payment in the same manner as they have always made it.

I only see one possible senerio. If they don't pay ahead don't take the child. You could just refuse service. But consider if the amount of money in question is worth risking the good name of your business. If they don't pay up, you are better off with them gone.

Unregistered 07-22-2008 07:24 AM

In my contract it states........Two week fee is due upon two week notice. It also states that they are required to give two week notice. I also have a parent that acted very suprised by this and is very upset. Most parents don't realize that it costs money to replace a child. Its 300.00 for 3 months to run my add in the paper and it takes about that long to find the right child that fits in at my daycare!

daycaremom1998 07-28-2008 07:04 AM

Hi there,

My advise to you is to follow your contract. If your contract states a two-week payment at the time of a two-week notice, then that is what I would recommend you stick to. I know from personal experience that if you bend the rules with one parent, it is much too easy to do it again and again with others. I know this can be difficult as we form bonds with these parents and their children, but I highly recommend that you stick with your contract.

I hope this helps. Have a great day.

Unregistered 12-19-2008 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by mac60:
No, I do not think it is being unreasonable to ask. But, if you are changing your pay policy for them for the final weeks, I guess I can understand them possibly not being too happy. I am understanding that you are concerned that they will leave without making that final payment?

As far as a post dated check, having a mom that works in a bank,,,,,there is no such thing as a post dated check, at least they are not honored in our area.

Beyond asking that they pay you in advance for the final weeks, I don't know what else you can do. Unfortunately, you may have to just wait it out and hope they are fair to you and don't skiff out.

Good luck.

I used to work at a bank and as long as the check is signed you can cash it. The only thing the date can do is make it so that you can't cash it after 90 days from the date that is on the check.