Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Lables For Book Spines? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22737)

DCMomOf3 11-10-2010 06:53 AM

Lables For Book Spines?

I want to categorize my books by theme so its easier to find, i.e. Christmas, Thanksgiving/fall, school, Winter, etc. I know libraries have them. I currently look through all my books one-by-one to pull the theme I want because I like having them all accessable to the kids, but I have hundreds of books and it takes at least an hour. I think if I had spine labels it would take 5 minutes, such a time saver. Have you done this? Do you know where to find these?

Crystal 11-10-2010 07:14 AM

I don't do book spines, but I have all of my books organized by theme/season, etc. in magazine boxes. They stand upright and I just label the box front and keep them all on a shelf.

SilverSabre25 11-10-2010 08:17 AM

Could you keep a cross-indexed list in a binder of all your books and the themes they pertain to (some books might fit more than one). If the books and the lists are all alphabetical, then you would have a pretty easy time of finding things.

DCMomOf3 11-10-2010 08:37 AM

I let the kids look at the books on the shelves when they want, but pull out specific books for a special bin for the season/theme that I put in a separate place by our stations. They never stay sorted, I've tried. LOL

Pammie 11-10-2010 09:33 AM

I use regular blank address labels - wrapped from front to back across the spine of the book, about 1/2" from the bottom. Then I add a little sticker (from the teacher's supply store - the teeny tiny ones designed for behavior charts) on the label on the spine. Then I put a piece of wide clear packing tape across the label to keep the kids from peeling the sticker off:-)

I have Santa for Christmas, Turkey for Thanksgiving, Snowflake for winter, etc.

It's a really inexpensive way to keep my library collection organized. I don't mark all of my books this way, just my "themed" ones:-)

DCMomOf3 11-10-2010 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pammie:
I use regular blank address labels - wrapped from front to back across the spine of the book, about 1/2" from the bottom. Then I add a little sticker (from the teacher's supply store - the teeny tiny ones designed for behavior charts) on the label on the spine. Then I put a piece of wide clear packing tape across the label to keep the kids from peeling the sticker off:-)

It's a really inexpensive way to keep my library collection organized. I don't mark all of my books this way, just my "themed" ones:-)

Thank you! that is what i want to do, and yes, not all, just ones to match certain themes. :D

DCMom 11-10-2010 10:41 AM

This a great idea, very creative. I just might steal that if you don't mind :)

I have so many books that I don't let the kids have access to them all. I have book display that I use and I rotate 20-30 books in and out every week or so. When I store them, I just cut cardboard dividers and taped one edge with white duct tape, then wrote the theme/holiday/author on it.

SimpleMom 11-10-2010 10:45 AM

I love this idea for the book spine labels!!

laundrymom 11-10-2010 10:48 AM

I am bowing to all of you for your organization!! mine are just in the shelf, lol. Ill try to do better,.. I promise. =-)

Originally Posted by SimpleMom:
I love this idea for the book spine labels!!

Live and Learn 11-10-2010 11:23 AM

Pammie- great idea.You have inspired me!:)

WImom 11-10-2010 12:00 PM

Awesome idea. Thanks!

Abigail 11-10-2010 08:53 PM

I'm not sure if I want to put a label on any of my books, but I would only keep out two books per child (that is the recommended amount) and have all the rest put on a book shelf in another room where they don't have access. I then have separate shelves (or partial, until I get more!) for hard cover, paperback, and boardbooks.

I don't have many paperback books, so I'm considering putting them in alphabetical order for storage on the book shelf and randomly selecting which books I take out each week. I have not gotten around to typing up a list of books as I'm finding more books to add to the collection.

We read about all seasons and holidays and events at any given time, but if it were a special day or event approaching, I would make sure to know the title and just find it alphabetically on the shelf for that day. I had started typing a list to bring it to the store when I buy more books, but I guess I don't care if I have multiples of the same book. I will just have to type up a LONG list right before I open my daycare so I'm not buying so many books. LOL

QualiTcare 11-10-2010 10:07 PM

that's a good idea! in kindergarten i used the colored dot stickers (blue, red, green, etc) to separate books by reading level and then i had a basket for each color - a basket for reds, a basket for blues, etc. and the kids were able to put them back where they belonged easily - plus i knew which basket to tell individual children to choose from based on their reading level.

but the themed stickers is a really good idea! and if you have enough for each season - they could be put into baskets that way too so the searching is a little easier and the kids know where the books go if you put a picture of a snowflake on the basket.