Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Curriculum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   St. Patrick's Day (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28195)

gkids09 03-15-2011 03:27 PM

St. Patrick's Day

What kind of activities and crafts are you doing for St. Patrick's Day?
Thursday we are going to eat lots of green things, have green cupcakes, and drink green milkshakes (tried this last year and they LOVED it!!).
I was just wondering what everyone else does. :)
Thanks!

blueclouds29 03-15-2011 06:14 PM

I have all young kids so i don't really get to crazy for the holidays but i like to do the crafts part. Today we painted 3 hearts on a peice of white paper.Then i cut them out into a 3 leaf clover.
I also wanted to do this craft but didn't have the right color chalk. Take a yellow and blue chalk to color a white shamrock and then paint with water over it to mix the colors to make green. Didn't get to try it but it seems like it would work. :)

Abigail 03-15-2011 08:41 PM

We had clear shammrock shapes pre-cut. Not sure if it was plastic or some other material--I just saw the finished product. The kids all got small green squares of tissue paper to glue on then they got hung up.

Pammie 03-16-2011 02:53 AM

The big project this week for the 3+ age kiddos is to make leprechaun traps;)

I give them my saved collection of shoe boxes, tissue boxes, oatmeal canisters and paper towel rolls - along with tape, construx paper, glue, markers, paints, etc. and let them go nuts designing and building their own trap to trap a leprechaun. They do need help with cutting the cardboard - but the rest is up to them. Some of the kids get incredibly creative each year.

Then the folk-lore around here is that if they actually are lucky enough to trap a leprechaun in their trap, he has to drop all of the gold coins in his pockets - that he's collected from traveling around the world - before he leaves (leprechauns are very honest;))

The dcks will set their traps around my house before they leave today, and hopefully by tomorrow morning, (and thanks to a coin shoppe in my neighborhood that sells bulk coins from foreign countries) the kids will have some foreign coins in their traps tomorrow morning:-))

I've been doing this activity for years now, and it's one of the favorite daycare memories of many of my alumni:)

SunflowerMama 03-16-2011 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by Pammie:
The big project this week for the 3+ age kiddos is to make leprechaun traps;)

I give them my saved collection of shoe boxes, tissue boxes, oatmeal canisters and paper towel rolls - along with tape, construx paper, glue, markers, paints, etc. and let them go nuts designing and building their own trap to trap a leprechaun. They do need help with cutting the cardboard - but the rest is up to them. Some of the kids get incredibly creative each year.

Then the folk-lore around here is that if they actually are lucky enough to trap a leprechaun in their trap, he has to drop all of the gold coins in his pockets - that he's collected from traveling around the world - before he leaves (leprechauns are very honest;))

The dcks will set their traps around my house before they leave today, and hopefully by tomorrow morning, (and thanks to a coin shoppe in my neighborhood that sells bulk coins from foreign countries) the kids will have some foreign coins in their traps tomorrow morning:-))

I've been doing this activity for years now, and it's one of the favorite daycare memories of many of my alumni:)

What a great idea!! So creative and I bet the kids love it!!

I don't have enough boxes today but maybe I could get the parents to bring some tomorrow morning and I'll head out tonight for coins and we can do this tomorrow as part of our St. Patty's celebration!! Then the leprachauns can leave coins to be found on Friday.

SunflowerMama 03-16-2011 04:22 AM

We're going to make a little leprechaun handprint crafts and then this is our menu tomorrow. We may also do the leprechaun traps Pammie mentioned!

Breakfast - Green eggs, fruit and shamrock cinnamon rolls http://ptskjohnson.blogspot.com/2011...fast-idea.html

Lunch - Green mac n cheese, veggies, fruit and green milk

Snack - Cut up veggies with green ranch and no bake leprechaun hats http://www.kiboomu.com/2011/03/12/no...hats-for-kids/

anabel 03-16-2011 08:22 AM

I only have an 11 month old tomorrow so will do either a sticker craft with shamrock stickers, some green finger painting, or a rainbow craft. Anything we do will be working on language skills. We'll have stories and rhymes too. Not sure what else cos I wasn't supposed to be having him at all lol, just mostly playing it by ear.

busymomof2 03-16-2011 11:16 AM

I have 3 & 4 year olds. Monday we made a rainbow with green shamrocks coming down. It was good to teach the colors of the rainbow and the order. Tuesday we made a shamock out of torn tissue I just cut the chamrock shape for them. Today we made a pot of gold out of black and yellow construction paper and some gold glitter. Tomorrow we are making a paper plate leprechaun. Crafts are a big deal artound here. We will be eating either green cupcakes or brownies and green food all day. Might steal the green mac & cheese idea as well as the green milk:Sunny: