Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Medication Administration (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26281)

Abigail 02-02-2011 10:21 PM

Medication Administration

What do you think of this to start out my medication administration policy? Is it too much? Too wordy? Anything missing? Finally...does anyone have a permission form for administering medication or is that something I get locally as a requirement? Does anyone else require permission to use sunscreen, diapering products, and insect repellant? Obviously young infants will not use sunscreen and I'll write that specifically on that form.

No child will be given any medication, prescription, or over the counter unless a parent/guardian gives written permission. Written permission must also be given before sunscreen, diapering products, and insect repellant will be used.

I will take children who are on prescribed medication when the doctor indicates that they are not longer contagious. Before I will dispense medication, I require a signed release from the doctor and a written request from you for each medical prescription. The medicine must be in its original container, labeled with the directions and the child’s name. You should ask the pharmacist to divide the prescription into two containers, each with full labels, one for my home and one for your home. Please try to give medication at home whenever possible.

littlemonkeys 02-02-2011 10:42 PM

I think it sounds fine, I made mine a little simpler. I was just loking this over and I should probably add that they also need to give me a written conset as well as filling out the form from the State.

Here is a sample of how it reads in my contract.

MEDICINE

If your child has an allergy or is recovering from and illness (no longer contagious) and still requires medication, it may be given at ********* Childcare if:

1. Medicine is in the Original Prescription container.
2. The child’s name is properly labeled on the container.
3. All medication must be given to the provider upon arrival.
4. Parent must complete and sign the Medicine form with child’s name, date, type of medication, amount, and times medicine is to be administered.
5. Medicine may not be left overnight, or stored at ********* Childcare.

Initial & Date__________

This is the form the State of CA requires licensed dc providers to keep on hand for administering meds to children.

http://www.dss.cahwnet.gov/cdssweb/e...sh/LIC9221.pdf

lvt77 02-03-2011 12:41 AM

You might want to mention that u will give medication as instructions direct for OTC. For prescribed meds: the medication must be in the original container At the time of prescription , have your Childs name on label, cannot be expired and have written directions along with side effects from physician
Im just trying to recall what mine says at the top of my head. I also have in my contract that if a child starts a new medication that they must be on it for a full 24 hrs before returning to care. Most allergic reactions to meds will occur in the first 24 hrs.

I have a form in my Phb that asks for permission to administer lotions, diaper creams, and basic first aid ointments in case of a minor accident. This way you only have to have the
Sign it once.

littlemonkeys 02-03-2011 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by lvt77:
I also have in my contract that if a child starts a new medication that they must be on it for a full 24 hrs before returning to care. Most allergic reactions to meds will occur in the first 24 hrs.

I have this listed in my phb under my illness policy.

Abigail, now that I read it again, I would probably cut the whole thing about having the pharmacy split the meds, I also wouldn't store it at home. I took my CPR/First Aid classes with a dc provider that has been in business for 25 years. She said that there has been problem where storing the meds in her home has come back to bit her in the past.

nannyde 02-03-2011 03:50 AM

I try my darndest to go years without ever giving ANY meds. Nan no likey med administration. :cool:

I keep Advil and Tylenol on hand in case someone gets froggy and spikes a high fever over 103

Back in the day kids had four times a day antibiotics and cough medicine. Since most antibiotics are once or twice a day and cough medicine is rarely given I don't see too many kids who need any meds.

I don't even remember the last time I gave a med. :confused:

Cat Herder 02-03-2011 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by nannyde:
I try my darndest to go years without ever giving ANY meds. Nan no likey med administration. :cool:

I keep Advil and Tylenol on hand in case someone gets froggy and spikes a high fever over 103

Back in the day kids had four times a day antibiotics and cough medicine. Since most antibiotics are once or twice a day and cough medicine is rarely given I don't see too many kids who need any meds.

I don't even remember the last time I gave a med. :confused:

True, I very rarely give OTC or antibiotics, anymore, here.

I do give insulin, nebulizer treatments/inhalers/pulse-oximetry, use gravity feeding tubes and do glucose checks, not as often, though. Sometimes I can go years without any special need...:D

It is getting easier with all the "slow-release" products and insulin pumps, though....yay!! :Sunny:

I just use the State Provided Medication Form and have the child's Ped write me out a RX for the parameters of treatment as it changes and staple it to the form. Very easy. ;)

Abigail 02-07-2011 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by lvt77:
You might want to mention that u will give medication as instructions direct for OTC. I also have in my contract that if a child starts a new medication that they must be on it for a full 24 hrs before returning to care. Most allergic reactions to meds will occur in the first 24 hrs.

I have a form in my Phb that asks for permission to administer lotions, diaper creams, and basic first aid ointments in case of a minor accident. This way you only have to have the
Sign it once.

New medications: I have this under my illness policy. LVT, are you the only one who requires permission for lotions, diaper creams, and basic first aid ointments besides me???? I also have over the counter mentioned in my first sentence. Is that good enough meaning I'll follow the instruction on the bottle or do I literally have to write that?

So Mine should say:
No child will be given any medication, prescription, or over the counter unless a parent/guardian gives written permission. Written permission must also be given before sunscreen, diapering products, and insect repellant will be used.

I will take children who are on prescribed medication when the doctor indicates that they are not longer contagious. Before I will dispense medication, I require a signed release from the doctor and a written request from you for each medical prescription. The medicine must be in its original container, labeled with the directions and the child’s name. OTC medications will be given according to the label. Please try to give medication at home whenever possible.

Originally Posted by littlemonkeys:
Abigail, now that I read it again, I would probably cut the whole thing about having the pharmacy split the meds, I also wouldn't store it at home. I took my CPR/First Aid classes with a dc provider that has been in business for 25 years. She said that there has been problem where storing the meds in her home has come back to bit her in the past.

OK, I took that part out. What I'm not sure about is this part: I require a signed release from the doctor and a written request from you for each medical prescription. Do I actually NEED both the doctor and parent to give me permission or is just the parents permission good enough?