Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Help for Child with Speech Problem (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18020)

Charity 08-26-2010 07:59 AM

Help for Child with Speech Problem

Hello All.... I just started the home daycare thing. I have 1 full time and 3 part time. My one full time is a boy age 3 1/2 and has a speech problem. He just isnt talking as well as some of the others. His mom also pointed it out to me. It is almost hard to understand him at times. Any help is appreciated. Also I just got my free samples from FUntimes Curriculum. I am really impressed and want to definately do this but it is a little pricey.....:p

Crystal 08-26-2010 08:23 AM

First, I'd check to see what resources in the community are available to assist him.....check with your local resource and referral agency, they may be able to help him.

Then, I'd start implementing activities that help him develop better speech.....play games with him....picture bingo is a good one.....you can make your own. Also, print out two each of pictures of common objects and play matching and memory games with him.....each picture...you name the object and have him repeat it. Stuff lik this really helps. You can also use a mirror, show him picture cards and have him name the picture as he watches himself speak while he looks in the mirror.

MommyD 08-26-2010 10:01 AM

Charity,

Here is a website that may give you some ideas to incorporate into your day and share with the boy's mother:
http://mommyspeechtherapy.com/?page_id=50

Also an article taken from the same website, entitled "How to Find a Speech-Language Pathologist":
http://mommyspeechtherapy.com/?p=25

Good Luck, and be proud of yourself for being proactive!

countrymom 08-26-2010 10:22 AM

I would see if he can be assessed
second see if he is tongue tied (I have a boy who was like this, and he went to be assessed and the speech patholigist didn't even notice it, well after halloween I gave the kids lollypops and he was bitting his, well I'm telling him that he needs to lick it, well sure enough he couldn't because he was tongue tied--pointed it out to mom, she got it checked out and he got it clipped--he had to get speech but its so much better than before)
also, since my dd had speech issues, her speech patholigist said, to do this---correct them and make them repeat after you.

thatgagirl 08-28-2010 11:22 AM

I also have a 3yo in care with a MAJOR speech delay...she says maybe 5-10 words not very clearly. Her parents refuse to acknowledge there is a problem, won't send her to be evaluated (because they might have to pay $$). I work with her as much as I can...but there is just no extra 1on1 time...

I am bookmarking those links to look at, thanks

MommyD 08-28-2010 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by thatgagirl:
I am bookmarking those links to look at, thanks

You're welcome, hope they help.

I am pretty sure you could call and get information too. The family may not have to pay, sometimes there is a sliding scale on cost to families, especially for a 3 year old. The schools are required to offer "Free Appropriate Public Education" (FAPE) to those that qualify under the guidelines. Maybe if you find out some more information for the family and offer it gently they may reconsider.

It is a hard thing to hear... that your child may have a "special need", even if it is just speech.

QualiTcare 08-28-2010 06:04 PM

you should call the school system in the county where the child lives and ask if they have a program that offers early intervention services.

they should have someone called a "child find coordinator." you can google the name of your city or even your state along with the words "child find coordinator" and get a list. they will evaluate the child for free - they HAVE to.

children with special needs receive services from birth to 21 years. it's the law.

caitlin 08-28-2010 08:46 PM

Call your local health department too. The state I live in has a program where all children ages 0-3 get FREE therapy no matter how much the family makes. It is really nice because the therapists come to the child's home to work with them, and also to the child's daycare so not only do the parents get info from the therapist I get a chance to talk to him/her too and share my concerns. After the age of three the local school system picks them up and works with them.

It isn't very well known because doctor's don't like to refer people to them, instead they refer them to therapists that parents have to pay for.

MarinaVanessa 08-29-2010 11:34 AM

I was just thinking about how I have a nephew that is almost 3 and doesn't say very much and I watch a little boy that just turned 1 and he says no, cat, dog, banana (nahnah) and a few other words. I chalked it up to my SIL not talking to him regularly and letting him grunt and point when he wants something. I watch my nephew as a drop-in a few times a month and each time he comes and stays with me during daycare hours I make him at least attempt to tell me what he wants before I give him anything.

For example: He'll grunt and point to the fridge.
Me: "Are you hungry? (several times because he keeps grunting and pointing)
Him: (shakes his head no)
Me: "You're not hungry? No? No? Not hungry? (while I shake my head)
Him: shaking head and eventually says "No"
Me: "Are you thirsty? (and make the sign for drink) Do you want something to drink?"
Him: (Shakes his head yes and points to fridge and grunts)
Me: "Are you thirsty?" keep repeating myself "Do you want something to drink? Drink?"
Him: (Nods head and finally says something close to drink)
Me: Now I open the fridge and let him see what we have "Juice? Do you want juice?" (repeat myself until he says no) "Water? Do you want water?" (repeat myself until he says no) "Milk? Do you want milk?" Repeat myself until he nods his head) "Yes? You want milk? Yes? (repeat myself until he says both yes and milk) Then I finally take what he wants out and give it to him and a lot of praise.

I have to say that each day that he spends with me he says at least 2 new words. It's really quite sad. Not saying that the child you are watching doesn't have a speach problem but hopefully it's just that he hasn't had the need to talk before. Try making him work for his wants and needs and at least try to say easy words. If you try this and it doesn't seem to work then you probably do have an actual speach problem. Good luck.

Carrie Clark 11-07-2012 05:39 PM

Help with Speech Errors

Here is a link to a free program that parents can do to help improve a child's speech skills at home. It could also be used at a daycare! Good luck!

http://www.speechandlanguagekids.com...peech-at-home/

Originally Posted by Charity:
Hello All.... I just started the home daycare thing. I have 1 full time and 3 part time. My one full time is a boy age 3 1/2 and has a speech problem. He just isnt talking as well as some of the others. His mom also pointed it out to me. It is almost hard to understand him at times. Any help is appreciated. Also I just got my free samples from FUntimes Curriculum. I am really impressed and want to definately do this but it is a little pricey.....:p

itlw8 11-07-2012 07:10 PM

starting at age 3 the public schools are required to provide service for all children that qualify. The parents need to call the school board and get the information to have him evaluated. they need to start the process withing 30 days. They will start with a hearing test, then a speech patholigist will test him and they may want to observe him in a familiar setting such as your childcare.

help could be speech therapy where they take him, speech provided in the childcare where someone comes to the center. or you may have a early childhood program where they would provide services

SilverSabre25 11-07-2012 08:31 PM

Two yer old thread alert!!!!

:D

biglou 11-08-2012 05:11 AM

Like a few said, the child needs a professional eval and first talk with parents. I don't want to come off as cruel or uncaring, but day care pros are not here to fix every problem . We use our experience to provide care and point out issues like this to parents so they can take the next step. We can choose to get involved, but in case like this it should be under the general supervision of a speech pathologist or expert in such matters. Again, we want the best care for the little ones!

itlw8 11-08-2012 08:24 AM

dang I fall for this old thread stuff every time. I do not look at the date I assume it is fresh when it is posteed on the board. Heck who looks that far back in posts ???