Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why Do Some Kids Act so Bad When the Parents are Here?! (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29892)

MamaBear 04-27-2011 10:21 AM

Why Do Some Kids Act so Bad When the Parents are Here?!

I have a 3 yr old DCG that acts SO bad when her mom picks her up. I've had other kids that have done this in the past too. During the day she is so good and listens pretty well. But the moment her mom picks up she turns into this devil child.

She runs around like crazy and touches everything she isn't allowed to touch. Today she was running around making this awful whining sound and was yanking on my miniblinds (a big no-no and she knows this), smacked another girls face and threw toys around! When she hit the other DCG I said "Oh noooo ...that was not nice" and her mom just acted like it was no big deal as she quickly tried to get her out. Everytime the mom reached for her she would cry & run away. Then she picked up my sons little laptop toy and was trying to take it home with her. I KNOW the mom saw it in her hands. I said "Uh Oh - lets leave that here" and she kept trying to run out with it. Her mom asked her to put it back so guess what she does... She runs in and THROWS it across my livingroom with a big smash!!! What the frig?!?! The mom apologized and left running.

NORMALLY I always have her ready and basically just push her out the door with the mom so thats not an issue. I always have her shoes on and shes ready to go... but days like this when I wasnt prepared, she ALWAYS does this! Its so freakin annoying! And the mom is sooooo scared to discipline her. I hate it.

I dont get why as soon as she sees her mom she has to act so bad and touch and do everything she would NEVER do during the day when its just her and I and the other kids! Does she feel like with her mom there she can get away with everything? Does she forget that she has to come back again tomorrow withouth mom?? Sheesh!

I guess all I can do is have her ready for pick up every day so I dont have to deal with it. But what else could I do? Its so annoying! :confused:

nannyde 04-27-2011 10:23 AM

https://www.daycare.com/nannyde/the-...in-daycare.htm

jojosmommy 04-27-2011 10:27 AM

I have two daycare kids that do this. Mom arrives and they jump on the couch (not even allowed to sit on it during the day) they hit my son, basically climb the walls. Its all attention seeking.

For a while that was what she thought they did at daycare all day. I clearly explained to her that when she arrived they would both be sent down the steps to the entry way and locked (with the stairs gate) away from everything else. I get ones shoes on and she does the other and then they both typically run crazy to the car- which I don't allow but mom doesnt discipline at home so they know they rule the roost.

I would tell mom she needs to call 5 min before arrival and you will get said child ready and explain to her why. Tell her 1x a week you are willing to try to let her get ready independently (or follow whatever your typical leaving routine is) and if she can not handle it then she will have to go back to dressed and ready at the door.

It makes communication difficult when they pickup b/c the child is already ready and wants to go but its better than having 10 min of complete chaos at the end of your day and still not being able to communicate anything to mom.

DancingQueen 04-27-2011 10:29 AM

I have one.
I posted about him before.
I made a deal with dad to text me when he's 5 or 10 minutes away and I have dcb get his shoes and coat on and sit on the bench by the door.

He still tries to get riled when his dad gets here because his dad STILL takes too long to get out of here but I've been really firm with him recently.

Last week before his dad got here I reminded him. "When your dad gets here I expect you to behave and wait patiently for your dad to finish talking to me. I don't want to see you running around breaking all of the rules of my house. OK?"

So he says yes and sure enough he started up the minute his dad got there. Got up from the bench and started up. So I held up a finger to his dad (who was ignoring his sons behavior and talking to me) and said "hang on a second" I turned to his son and I said "Do you remember what we talked about before your dad got here?"
He said "yes"
I said "but you still aren't following the rules are you?"
he said "no"
I said "now you'll need to sit down on that bench and remain quiet until your dad is ready to leave. tomorrow I will give you another chance but if you don't follow the rules during pick up time you'll have to sit like this every day when your dad comes to get you. Does that sound like much fun?"
him: "no"
me: "I didn't think so. Now have a seat and wait for daddy to be read"

Oddly enough - dad was ready to go instantly.

we did this two days in a row and now he is fine and dad also shortened pick ups. I got a two-fer!!!

I will add (because I'm not in denial) that my daughter acts up with him when it is pick up time and she was also told to sit down (on the opposite end of the room) until dcb left. And she was also told that she would be required to sit like that every day during every single pick up if she couldn't behave.

My parents respect my rules even if they don't always agree with them and so far no one has had a problem with me maintaining order with their children when they are here.

MamaBear 04-27-2011 10:32 AM

Exactly!

Thats the same thing that happens here... I always tell her that she DOES NOT act like this all day. I dont want them to think I have crazy monkeys jumping around all day. Its really just when she picks up. I'll just have to make sure she is ready to go right at 3 each day and not get distracted from her being prepared to leave.

Even when she is ready though, there are times when the mom starts jabbering and the girl runs back in and starts doing her "thing". Maybe I should just tell her that she needs to just leave quickly so its not an issue with her wild craziness at pick ups and for her to call me later if she wants to chat. Its just so annoying.

DancingQueen 04-27-2011 10:34 AM

Oh and I had a parent (short lived famiily LOL) who would try to talk to me about their child's day upon pick up but her kids were OUT. OF. CONTROL. during pick up because she was there.

So finally I told her. "I'd love to be able to tell you how their day went but their behavior right now is making it impossible for us to talk and it is getting the rest of the kids riled up. So I just can't take the time to talk to you right now, feel free to call me between 7:30 and 8:30 if you have any questions or email me before 7 and I'll get back to you tonight." And then I turned around and gathered all of the other kids and said "Ok kids, that's enough - let's go back to the play room now"

and left her standing there in the door way with her jaw on the floor. She gave her notice shortly after that. I was not sad.

DancingQueen 04-27-2011 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by :
Even when she is ready though, there are times when the mom starts jabbering and the girl runs back in and starts doing her "thing".

there is no way I'd allow a dck to be outside when mom or dad is inside with me. I have a ridiculous fear of them getting into trouble or something bad happening to them and I really don't need the insurance claim.

If *I* have to be outside with my daycare kids when they are outside then so do their parents. I won't let them walk out the door until it is with mom and they are all turning to go.

Just like when we are all in back yard during pick up I would never let dck go out of my gated back yard without mom or dad (or me) to head to the car. No one is allowed out of my house or out of my fenced in back yard without a grown up.

MamaBear 04-27-2011 10:37 AM

Funny :)

HeeHee :) Thats awesome! Those are the type of parents that I could care less if they quit on me! haha :ouch:

MamaBear 04-27-2011 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
there is no way I'd allow a dck to be outside when mom or dad is inside with me. I have a ridiculous fear of them getting into trouble or something bad happening to them and I really don't need the insurance claim.

Yeah I agree. I always keep them inside, but this ONE particular DCM takes her outside the door and THEN starts trying to chat with me. I should make her step inside I guess when she starts jabbering... but then she might never leave! lol. I'll have to tell her like you said - that she can call or email me later to chat. You'd think she'd see the chaos and realize it just doesnt make sense to stand there. Sheeze...

PitterPatter 04-27-2011 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by MamaBear:
I have a 3 yr old DCG that acts SO bad when her mom picks her up. I've had other kids that have done this in the past too. During the day she is so good and listens pretty well. But the moment her mom picks up she turns into this devil child.

She runs around like crazy and touches everything she isn't allowed to touch. Today she was running around making this awful whining sound and was yanking on my miniblinds (a big no-no and she knows this), smacked another girls face and threw toys around! When she hit the other DCG I said "Oh noooo ...that was not nice" and her mom just acted like it was no big deal as she quickly tried to get her out. Everytime the mom reached for her she would cry & run away. Then she picked up my sons little laptop toy and was trying to take it home with her. I KNOW the mom saw it in her hands. I said "Uh Oh - lets leave that here" and she kept trying to run out with it. Her mom asked her to put it back so guess what she does... She runs in and THROWS it across my livingroom with a big smash!!! What the frig?!?! The mom apologized and left running.

NORMALLY I always have her ready and basically just push her out the door with the mom so thats not an issue. I always have her shoes on and shes ready to go... but days like this when I wasnt prepared, she ALWAYS does this! Its so freakin annoying! And the mom is sooooo scared to discipline her. I hate it.

I dont get why as soon as she sees her mom she has to act so bad and touch and do everything she would NEVER do during the day when its just her and I and the other kids! Does she feel like with her mom there she can get away with everything? Does she forget that she has to come back again tomorrow withouth mom?? Sheesh!

I guess all I can do is have her ready for pick up every day so I dont have to deal with it. But what else could I do? Its so annoying! :confused:

I have had the EXACT problem! I have a almost 3 yr old that does it now! I will have him ready but DCM has to come in and sit UGH!!! He runs over and takes pictures off of the shelves and laughs his a$$ off! He then runs up to my bedroom where he KNOWS is totally off limits! He will jump on my bed and dcm just sits downstairs yelling "come on lets go" in a calm tone! Sometimes she does chase him up which I think is what he wants from her. The last few times I gave chase because when I get to him I am stern and I bark "NO we do NOT go in my room"! I take him down by the arm because he won't let me hold his hand. I too am getting very tired of his B.S.!

I had a child in the past that I actually had to term because EVERYDAY like clockwork he would trash my house literally break things when his Mom came. I put up with it for a year or so and he was out of here. I don't have that much patience anymore so if my current DCB doesn't soon stop he will be out the door as well. I have had other abusive issues from him anyway. My assistant tells me when the kid comes back the next day I should sit him in the time out chair for 10 minutes right away and remind him what he did the day before. I don't think they will always remember tho.

I feel so bad for u but I don't have any advise. I have talked to the parents and 1 would bark at her kid and scold him etc but he continued. The current 1 rolls her eyes and blows it off like I am wrong for being upset. I hope she straigtens up for u.

MamaBear 04-27-2011 11:07 AM

Thanks!

Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I feel so bad for u but I don't have any advise. I have talked to the parents and 1 would bark at her kid and scold him etc but he continued. The current 1 rolls her eyes and blows it off like I am wrong for being upset. I hope she straigtens up for u.

Thank you :) I guess its kind of a norm that happens then. I've had a boy do that in the past too... he would jump on the couch, throw toys and run in circles... it was crazy. Then when the parent wants to leave they dont want to go... And if its a laid back parent, then it makes it even harder.

I cant figure it out if its because they are so excited to see their parent that they act wild, or if its just the fact that they seem to KNOW that they can get away with crap while the parents standing there because I cant put them in time out and whatnot like I would when the parent wasnt there. THey can be sneaky little boogers :) haha

PitterPatter 04-27-2011 11:20 AM

Thank you :) I guess its kind of a norm that happens then. I've had a boy do that in the past too... he would jump on the couch, throw toys and run in circles... it was crazy. Then when the parent wants to leave they dont want to go... And if its a laid back parent, then it makes it even harder.

I cant figure it out if its because they are so excited to see their parent that they act wild, or if its just the fact that they seem to KNOW that they can get away with crap while the parents standing there because I cant put them in time out and whatnot like I would when the parent wasnt there. THey can be sneaky little boogers :) haha

THIS is my current kid! He will run his smart mouth to me during drop off and pick up too. Then an hour later once he knows I am in the drivers seat he toes the line a lot better! At pick up when he picks up my picture frames and nic-nacs he will look at me to be sure I see him about to do it. Then when I say no he laughs and snatches them up. He has started sticking his tongue out at my assistant when she comes to fill on for me. I haven't had the pleasure of seeing that yet. Lord forgive me I DO love children but this 1 can be such a brat! U don't even know!

MamaBear 04-27-2011 11:40 AM

Ughhh

Ughhh... what a brat. That sucks. Its like they "know" that we cant really do anything if the parent is there so they just do ALL the bad stuff they can think of. If the parent wasnt here, my DCG knows she will get a timeout and she knows she will lose whatever toy shes playing with... I feel awkward getting after her in front of the mom. I feel like once the parent is there that she should step in and do the disciplining of thier own child. Sadly some parents just dont know how to do it... or they are embarrassed. So she gets away with acting like a little terd. :mad:

sahm2three 04-27-2011 12:23 PM

I warn them before parents come. If they start acting up when mom or dad come, they sit in time out until mom and dad are ready to go. All of my parents completely back me on this. Also, I have a prize box, and if they have been good all day, they get to pick something out. They have to be good at pick up time too. If they aren't, they don't get anything. The prize box is VERY important to them. I buy bulk little things from Oriental Trading like bouncey balls, tattoos, bubbles, stickers, etc. I expect the same behavior at pick up time as I do all day long.

MamaBear 04-27-2011 12:33 PM

Great idea!

Originally Posted by sahm2three:
I warn them before parents come. If they start acting up when mom or dad come, they sit in time out until mom and dad are ready to go. All of my parents completely back me on this. Also, I have a prize box, and if they have been good all day, they get to pick something out. They have to be good at pick up time too. If they aren't, they don't get anything. The prize box is VERY important to them. I buy bulk little things from Oriental Trading like bouncey balls, tattoos, bubbles, stickers, etc. I expect the same behavior at pick up time as I do all day long.

Great idea!!! I just ordered some stuff from Oriental Trading for prizes for going potty... I think this would be a great idea too! Thanks :)

daycare 04-27-2011 12:51 PM

I just started a monoey saving jar for each chld. They can earn up to 3 fake dollars a day. I have a treasure chest of things that each child can buy one item if they have money left at the end of the week. one of the big big deals i make out of it is drop off and pick up.

If they act up when parents are present and do the wild crazy animal thing they all do when mom\/dad are here, I make them walk over and pluck out one of those dollars. If they chose not to, I will do it. Yesterday one of the DCK lost all 3 bucks.... the mom was so frustrated she picked up DCK and ran out the door with child under arm screaming....oh thank god i came up with this...... The parents hate it, but guess what it has been working and it gets them out of here quicker....lol

I love my DCP and kids......but I love them when they arent together.....

Stacy214 04-27-2011 01:06 PM

AHHHHHHHHHH :eek: I have the same problem!!!!!!! OMGosh he is almost 3 and his Mom brings him , he's HORRIBLE kicking her slapping her and kicking my door, trying to hurt the babies that are here...and she calmly says oh no no that's not nice (THROWING UP IN MY MOUTH every time) bleh! She comes at pick up same thing!!! Climbing my china hutch and hitting my TV hurting the kids :mad::mad::mad: how infuriating!
Sooooo, i could go on but that felt good getting that out... I have tried to talk to him before she gets here, I also have him ready to go...then when they leave, he shoots out the door and she chases him for 15 minutes before driving away. I just shut my door , I'm done. I am at a loss as well but so glad I don't have the only nut (and I'm not sure which one is the nut, the Mom or the child :confused: )
But let me also add to basically my vent ...he's NOT like this during the day. AND Mom thinks this is normal behavior and that he just silly. :mad:

PitterPatter 04-27-2011 02:44 PM

I keep trying really hard to follow Nannyde's advise about the changing of the guard and the bye bye at the door. Sometimes it does work but others the parent just pushes past me (so effin rude!) I will say here is the sign out and hand it to her. She will say ok I just need to sit a minute, and off to the living room she goes. I want to say this is NOT YOUR house! Go home and sit! But I am not rude.

Today I had the kids outside so no reason to go in, YAY right? WRONG, DCM has to use the bathroom and takes her kid in with her BUT leaves the kid out of the bathroom so now he's running through my house nibbing! Honestly I do that praying to Jesus to get them out a lot! It just never ends, always something here. I think I will change the name of my daycare to Drama tots!

cheerfuldom 04-27-2011 03:37 PM

totally agree with nanny's blog post. one of my DCGs is AWFUL about this and of course, these are the parents that want to chat, show up late or early and want to stretch that daycare day out as long as possible. They don't want to be around their kid anymore than they have too. I have her ready to go, open the door and hand out the bag and just make them leave. Usually I hear them still wrestling her into the car 20 minutes later but thats not my problem. They used to turn her loose in the front yard and talk or worse, dad would come in and ignore his own daughter and talk to all the other kids. I put an end to all that quickly!

jenh171 04-27-2011 06:11 PM

I'm so glad to know I'm not alone in this. ALL of my children act out the minute the parent arrives at pick up and while they're dropping off in the morning too. It drives me bananas. It seems like such manipulative behavior and it is SO disruptive too.

DancingQueen 04-27-2011 07:16 PM

Does anyone have the issue where ALL of the kids act up during a pick up.. even the kids who's parents arent the ones that are picking up. So if I have 5 kids here and kid #1 is getting picked up and I try to talk to parent for 2 minutes ALL of the kids start to raise hell. I'm getting pretty hard core with my rules even through pick up and drop offs but it makes me look even MORE incapable when ALL of the kids are doing it and not just their child.

cheerfuldom 04-28-2011 05:48 AM

are all the kids picked up in the same time frame? start planning an activity where they have specific instructions during that time. All seated at the table with coloring pages or something. That way it doesn't turn into a free for all. Even if you can just get the older ones settled, that should help.

WDW 04-28-2011 06:40 AM

Oh my Gosh I am SOOO over this behavior too! We recently put up a brand new storm door and I have three families who seem to think it's perfectly okay to let their kids hang on the handle, open it and slam it shut, kick it, etc when they are here. The kids would never touch do that during the day but as soon as mom arrives... GRR! One of them is 15 months old and mom holds her over so she can yank on the handle, or lets her stand there and shake the little piece that pulls it shut (can't think what you call it). REALLY? :mad:

Another one is barely tall enough to reach the handle, but she gets on her tippy toes, hangs on the handle, kicks the door open and then lets it slam shut. Over and over and over. Grrrr. I almost hope she pinches her fingers. Almost.

Then, this morning, DCM sets her DCG on my NEW couch and then tells me, oh, she's pretty wet, she had a lot of milk this morning! :eek:

Unregistered 04-28-2011 07:34 AM

I had the same thing with my children! I posted a sign above the door handle that says; The handle is getting loose because you let your children wiggle and hang on the handle. So from now on DO NOT let your children open the door, as it states in my handbook CHILDREN ARE NOT ALLOWED TO OPEN THE DOOR. Also when things like this happen and a child BREAKS something AFTER I have ask parents NOT to let your children do...then where does the money come from to make the repairs??? This is where it comes from...YOUR daycare FEES will be raised!!

Parents have not let there child touch the handle again...and the sign is still on the door..lol

Unregistered 04-18-2013 08:43 AM

Why Do Some Kids Act so Bad When the Parents are Here?!

Hello,
I am soo glad that I am not the only one dealing with this. I take care of a 6 month old and 18 month old, and the toddler is a holy terror when her mother comes to get her. She jumps on the couches (not allowed to even look at the couches ;) during the day), chews on the baby's chew toys, touches ALL the no no's to include electrical outlets, scratches the baby's face or hit the dog, she has even gone so far as to break an irreplaceable item I had gotten while on vacation (I wanted to cry). I have since moved all of my breakables, since her mother doesn't seem fit to control her child for the small amount of time she's here during drop off and pick up. I use the term "small amount of time" very LOOSELY, as like all of your problem DCK parents she likes to chat and tell me all of her drama.
Everyone's suggestions are great, but I feel that the DCG is not able to comprehend any lectures or the sit and wait rule. What I need to control is the DCM, but I do not know how to go about saying it without hurting her feelings or me being rude. Because want I want to say is that "you telling her no is not working!" She is a young mother, and from what I see the DCG runs her life. The DCG is very mean to her DCM, when the DCM picks her she scratches her face and bites her shoulders, and all she says is oww you're so mean.
I know this is a long post, but your suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Meeko 04-18-2013 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
My assistant tells me when the kid comes back the next day I should sit him in the time out chair for 10 minutes right away and remind him what he did the day before. I don't think they will always remember tho.

He remembers perfectly well!

He "remembers" to act like an animal each day at pick up, so he can be expected to understand why he is in trouble.

You have two choices.

The child needs to understand that he isn't going to get away with the behavior. Ever.

If the parent isn't going to step up then you have to.

I have actually told a parent to leave and come back in ten minutes, because Sweetie is going to sit quietly and politely for a while. The child freaked out when Mom left, but I watched the "lights go on" as she realized she wasn't winning this one. I told her that would happen each and every time she behaved badly at pick up. She tested me again the next day and I did it again. That was the last time. She was a model child every pick up after that.

If you think the parent wouldn't agree to leaving and returning...then the child needs to get a time out the INSTANT they arrive the next morning. Once they understand that consequences WILL follow, one way or the other, they will tow the line. They are smart. They will understand PERFECTLY the reason they are in time out.

Play Care 04-18-2013 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hello,
I am soo glad that I am not the only one dealing with this. I take care of a 6 month old and 18 month old, and the toddler is a holy terror when her mother comes to get her. She jumps on the couches (not allowed to even look at the couches ;) during the day), chews on the baby's chew toys, touches ALL the no no's to include electrical outlets, scratches the baby's face or hit the dog, she has even gone so far as to break an irreplaceable item I had gotten while on vacation (I wanted to cry). I have since moved all of my breakables, since her mother doesn't seem fit to control her child for the small amount of time she's here during drop off and pick up. I use the term "small amount of time" very LOOSELY, as like all of your problem DCK parents she likes to chat and tell me all of her drama.
Everyone's suggestions are great, but I feel that the DCG is not able to comprehend any lectures or the sit and wait rule. What I need to control is the DCM, but I do not know how to go about saying it without hurting her feelings or me being rude. Because want I want to say is that "you telling her no is not working!" She is a young mother, and from what I see the DCG runs her life. The DCG is very mean to her DCM, when the DCM picks her she scratches her face and bites her shoulders, and all she says is oww you're so mean.
I know this is a long post, but your suggestions are greatly appreciated :)

Can you gate off your front door area? I used to do this so the kids had to be handed out and couldn't get back in. I usually would say "bye" and walk out of sight to the play room. Once the "audience" was gone they were usually fine. This works well with parents that may balk at the outside good bye.

If you can't do that, does the mom come around the same time each day? About 5 minutes before she comes have the dc girl and the sibling ready to go, meet mom at the door and hand them out with a "they had a great day, see you tomorrow!" I send home a daily note with each family so they can refer to that for any important information about their child - no need to sit and chat for twenty minutes while kids run wild.

I would suggest that if you are going to continue to care for children in your home, you make the set up as safe and efficient as possible to make things easier on YOU. If that means setting up some gates in certain areas, so be it. If it means moving breakable items out of the area, fine. Really, you will be so much happier when you get your set up to work for you, not against you.

Cradle2crayons 04-18-2013 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by sahm2three:

I have the girl of a sibling group that as SOON as the door opens and it's her mom (not dad, just mom), IMMEDIATELY the whining started. So yep, time out she sat for a few afternoons at pickup until she could learn to stop. It worked. LOL

blessed mom 04-18-2013 02:32 PM

Ughhh... what a brat. That sucks. Its like they "know" that we cant really do anything if the parent is there so they just do ALL the bad stuff they can think of. If the parent wasnt here, my DCG knows she will get a timeout and she knows she will lose whatever toy shes playing with... I feel awkward getting after her in front of the mom. I feel like once the parent is there that she should step in and do the disciplining of thier own child. Sadly some parents just dont know how to do it... or they are embarrassed. So she gets away with acting like a little terd. :mad:

I have one like this and I have given a time out with parents/grandparents there. Sorry...my house my rules. They KNOW the rules. They can act that way at your house...not mine. If the parent can't handle their little darling being disciplined for clearly disobeying the rules it's just not a good fit. He also likes to unlock the door and run out at pick up. Mom's screaming wait for mommy...child totally ignores her. Mom runs after him...by see you tomorrow. Same child never touches the door all day long when with me. It's sad really. I just posted a vent about some of this. They will live and be better people if they learn to do what they are told even if they don't want to. Lazy parenting and catering doesn't help...it's very frustrating from my end to watch.