Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How Much Would You Charge For 3 Kids In Family? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32763)

cherakee68 07-26-2011 05:31 AM

How Much Would You Charge For 3 Kids In Family?

I just got a call from someone that has three girls - 4 months, 3 years & 4 years. I have no idea what I should charge. I charge $150 for one right now. Any ideas?

AnneCordelia 07-26-2011 05:33 AM

*I* would charge $450/week for 3 children, if one spot was $150. 3 spots is 66% of my income resting on the shoulders of one family. I'm not willing to discount that kind of risk. If anything, I should add a surcharge. LOL.

momofboys 07-26-2011 05:38 AM

I'd probably be inclined to offer a very minimal discount but this depends on the family & how well they seem to fit along with what hours they need. If they want the maximum hours I offer I would likely not offer a discount but say they only need 8.5 hrs then I might be inclined. If my rate was $150/week per child I would probably take a discount off the 3rd child of maybe $25-30/week so I'd charge @$420-425/week.

TSDaycare 07-26-2011 05:45 AM

I have a family of three boys. I charge full price for the toddler who has been with me since newborn, I charge full time for the pre-k child since he is in my care most of the day except for 2 1/2 hrs at school, and I discounted the SA boy who is in 3rd grade by $20 less per week than I usually charge. It comes out to be $370 a week and mom actually pays more on her own in the summer! Great family, respectful, makes sure Im paid on time etc, picks up early quite often. Can't complain at this rate so Im okay with what we have worked out as far as rates!

Cat Herder 07-26-2011 05:48 AM

To be totally honest I would have to decline them all together. :o

I am only allowed 6 kids, having 3 from one family is simply too financially risky for my comfort. :(

Otherwise, stick to your rates as you would for any other.

nannyde 07-26-2011 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by Catherder:

I am only allowed 6 kids, having 3 from one family is simply too financially risky for my comfort. :(

I can only have eight kids so three from one family would put me in a terrible spot when they left. It's also difficult to keep the relationship from turning into an employee/employer relationship.

laundrymom 07-26-2011 06:09 AM

I limit my families to 2 per but if you have room are needing kids, I would charge 345 a week. 115 each. My normal rate.

Meeko 07-26-2011 06:23 AM

Are you going to discount the care you give? You will be taking care of all the siblings the same....so charge them the same.

I have never understood why parents EXPECT a discount. They are taking money out of YOUR pocket and expecting the same care as everyone else.

Country Kids 07-26-2011 06:32 AM

I do have 3 siblings in care. Two are in school all day so they are charged the schoolage price and then the one I have full time is charged the price I charge for that.

I do not offer a discount for siblings and I have never had a parent ask for one. I figure whenever that child is here they are taking a spot and if I had a single child they would have to pay the price.

Also, if the family is a good fit why not try them. Yes, if they leave you will lose quite a bit of your income but that could happen if you lost for some reason a bunch of single children. I figure also if they are a great fit, why not take them its less parents I have to deal with.

TBird 07-26-2011 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by nannyde:
It's also difficult to keep the relationship from turning into an employee/employer relationship.

How so??? I've never had a large family in my daycare so I'm unfamiliar with the dynamic...:confused:

MarinaVanessa 07-26-2011 06:53 AM

I try to stay away from families with multiple children for the fact that others have posted about leaving so many openings if they leave. Right now I don't offer a sibling discount but if I were hard-pressed and If I were to give a discount I would probably only give a 10% discount on the additional children and only if they weren't under age 2. My rate is $160 a week giving them a $32 a week discount for the 2 additional kids making it $448 a week instead of $480.

You should think about the long run. Even at a 10% discount $32 a week (using my numbers here) in six months (24 weeks) that's $768 in discounts ... a full year (52 weeks) would be $1,664! If you do give a discount I'd do what Nan once suggested and give weekly receipts with the total amount that they paid AND the total amount in savings you've given them to date, otherwise then the parent just thinks of that rate as "their going rate" instead of a discounted rate. Good luck and KUP on what you decide.

cherakee68 07-26-2011 07:00 AM

Thank you everyone. This pretty much shows me that I just cut my throat with this family. It is a nephew of my husbands so I didn't feel right charging them full price but my DH was right that I went way to low. All's I can do now is see how it goes, give them a contract and tell them I'll see how it works out. I believe I have one maybe two leaving now anyway so that would leave me with just the three and it's not until Sept.

Meyou 07-26-2011 07:04 AM

I would charge $450 if I took them. I probably wouldn't though. I'm nervous enough with the two families with 2 children I have now in care. It would really hurt me financially to take 3 and then have the family leave for whatever reason. The twosomes I have are both because of younger siblings being born.

nannyde 07-26-2011 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by TBird:
How so??? I've never had a large family in my daycare so I'm unfamiliar with the dynamic...:confused:

Because they know they have so much of your income in their will. If a provider carries six kids that's HALF of the income. They walk out the door and BOOM... the providers financial life changes dramatically.

So the provider behaves towards them in a way to protect HER family and HER money. This translates into one YES after another. Once the parent gets a whiff of that they know they got ya and before you know it they are breaking one after another of your policies. You can't do the "it's about the group" when she has half the group.

In a center they do not have this kind of power. In a home... three is a LOT.

I did sib groups when I did evening shift. They are an asset to the business if they are in slots that are harder to fill and the viability of the business is covered by day slots. When they are just gravy money it's GOOD money. It's just if you have to have their income to survive... then it's risky.

There's also the element that once the total amount that is paid is known to friends and family it's pretty easy for them to get the next person and the next person to do it. If they are state paid they can easily find someone to do it in my state because my state allows the provider to go to THEIR house. You get a nanny on the states dime.

Crazy8 07-26-2011 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by Catherder:

I just told a daycare mom this recently and she looked at me like I was nuts. She is pregnant with twins and asked me for ballpark rates for the 2 babies, all 3 kids together, etc. I gave her the rates but told her I couldn't hold the spots either - when she asked why I don't discount for 3 kids I told her because it is more of a liability to me.

harperluu 07-26-2011 08:37 AM

I don't offer sibling discounts. I'd charge the full rate per child. If a family can afford to have all three children in fulltime child care, then they can afford the rate I offer.

Relationship building with parents is definitely a part of a sibling care. If you do decide to take them, be clear on whether the others can be here when one is ill and your rate if the oldest goes to traditional preschool or morning/afternoon kindergarten (if it will change at all, mine doesn't). These are typical issues with large sibling groups.

I typically view this situation as I'm doing them a favor rather than the other way around. It is difficult to find availibility for three children when providers have limits of 6 and 8 preschoolers. I believe the provider has the upper hand as long as policies are thoroughly discussed and consistently enforced.

MarinaVanessa 07-26-2011 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by cherakee68:
Thank you everyone. This pretty much shows me that I just cut my throat with this family. It is a nephew of my husbands so I didn't feel right charging them full price but my DH was right that I went way to low. All's I can do now is see how it goes, give them a contract and tell them I'll see how it works out. I believe I have one maybe two leaving now anyway so that would leave me with just the three and it's not until Sept.

Well at least you'll have clients :o. Like I said, I really think you should give receipts and especially now that I know that they're family. Family always thinks that they are special and you might find yourself doing additional "favors" for them. Make sure that they know that you are already doing them a huge favor by offering a very low rate.

Unregistered 07-26-2011 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
*I* would charge $450/week for 3 children, if one spot was $150. 3 spots is 66% of my income resting on the shoulders of one family. I'm not willing to discount that kind of risk. If anything, I should add a surcharge. LOL.

I agree. I would charge 450 and add in that they need to give you 2 weeks notice per child so 6 weeks total. BTDT and gotten burned so I say no discounts.

TBird 07-26-2011 08:54 AM

Because they know they have so much of your income in their will. If a provider carries six kids that's HALF of the income. They walk out the door and BOOM... the providers financial life changes dramatically.

So the provider behaves towards them in a way to protect HER family and HER money. This translates into one YES after another. Once the parent gets a whiff of that they know they got ya and before you know it they are breaking one after another of your policies. You can't do the "it's about the group" when she has half the group.

I did sib groups when I did evening shift. They are an asset to the business if they are in slots that are harder to fill and the viability of the business is covered by day slots. When they are just gravy money it's GOOD money. It's just if you have to have their income to survive... then it's risky.

There's also the element that once the total amount that is paid is known to friends and family it's pretty easy for them to get the next person and the next person to do it. If they are state paid they can easily find someone to do it in my state because my state allows the provider to go to THEIR house. You get a nanny on the states dime.

WOW!!! This is DEEP!!! :eek: Makes perfect sense though....

cheerfuldom 07-26-2011 09:09 AM

I don't do discounts. Not surprisingly, I have never even had a sibling set here.

daycare 07-26-2011 10:50 AM

I can vouge for this.....
happened to me and it was living you know what!!!

I also would never take 3 kids from one family! I have to agree with you 100% Nan...

BTDT and will NEVER do it again.......live and learn