Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Licensing Question - Yearly Licensing Fee? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47145)

wahmof3 06-25-2012 03:21 PM

Licensing Question - Yearly Licensing Fee?

2 questions here :)

Currently: I am a certified home provider.

My state, Ohio, is leaning toward changing it to a State Licensed Home provider.

Question: How many of you that are "Licensed" in other states have to pay a fee to keep your license? and approx. how much is it yearly??

Currently: As a certified provider I must take 6 hours of training every year.

Ohio is leaning toward paying based on your education. So pay would be better if the provider had a CDA, then better if an Associate Degree in early education, then better for a BA, etc.

Question: What other states use this (pay based on education level)?

I have my AS, but not in early ed. It would only make sense for me to pursue my BS in early ed but by then I could do so much more :)
Also, I do believe that I will not qualify for any grants bc I already have a degree :(

Just trying to do some research, thanks

originalkat 06-25-2012 04:00 PM

I am licensed and our yearly fee is $86.00. What do you mean about what they will pay you based on education? I charge my own rates and the state doesn't have anything to do with it.

wahmof3 06-25-2012 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by originalkat:
I am licensed and our yearly fee is $86.00. What do you mean about what they will pay you based on education? I charge my own rates and the state doesn't have anything to do with it.

Ohio sets rates (each county is different) and even though I charge $150/ infant weekly privately the max Ohio will pay subsidy is $114/ infant and I cannot charge the difference.

They are proposing that the provider rates will be determined based on education. The better educated the better pay. It will only effect subsidy payments.

Thank you for your licensing fee info :)

mema 06-25-2012 06:27 PM

I pay $150 every 2 years. I think in MN it varies by county because I believe some don't pay at all:( We have to have 8 hours of training I believe-I usually have way more than that so I don't remember the exact number. I don't have anyone on state pay, but I believe here it doesn't matter on your education.

Blackcat31 06-25-2012 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by mema:
I pay $150 every 2 years. I think in MN it varies by county because I believe some don't pay at all:( We have to have 8 hours of training I believe-I usually have way more than that so I don't remember the exact number. I don't have anyone on state pay, but I believe here it doesn't matter on your education.

I am in MN too but have never paid a licensing/re-licensing fee.

The child care assistance program pays providers with a CDA and/or a college degree 15% more than what they pay normally.

The difference in reimbursement rates between normal rates and the higher rate is state wide. The licensing fees are set by the county.

The training requirements are also the same state wide. I have ALOT more than required due to being in college but I always thought it was 6 hours per year but it could be 8. Definitely not sure on the number but it is the same for the whole state.

mema 06-25-2012 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

The child care assistance program pays providers with a CDA and/or a college degree 15% more than what they pay normally.

The difference in reimbursement rates between normal rates and the higher rate is state wide. The licensing fees are set by the county.

The training requirements are also the same state wide. I have ALOT more than required due to being in college but I always thought it was 6 hours per year but it could be 8. Definitely not sure on the number but it is the same for the whole state.

Ok. Had to go look it up because you had me curious. It is 8 hours, from what I can tell it use to be 6. Also had to look up the reimbursement rates. I have never had anyone on it, so you got me curious! They are different. I would lose money on every age except infant I would make a little more! Good to know just in case.

originalkat 06-26-2012 05:20 AM

Oh, okay I see. Our state has a flas rate for subsidy regardless of education etc...and the rate is pretty low.

DCBlessings27 06-26-2012 05:40 AM

Oh, okay I see. Our state has a flas rate for subsidy regardless of education etc...and the rate is pretty low.

In KS, we have to pay $85 for the state fee, $87 for group homes. That is yearly. Then, we have to pay our county a fee as well. My county's fee is $65. We have to have 5 hours of training to renew.

As far as subsidy, the rate is $2/hr regardless of age of children or a provider's education. We can charge parents the difference between our rates and the subsidy rate though. I just don't contract with the state because it's like pulling teeth to get parents to pay their portion.

Kiki 06-26-2012 06:30 AM

It is 8 hours

Wow, here in UT it's 20 hours of training, and 10 has to be face to face.
But, there is also a License vs. Certificate in Utah, and I'm fairly certain that number is for a licensed provider, and that it's much lower for certificate holders. Certificate holders however do not qualify for any grants in Utah, they only give them to licensed providers.

I'm not sure on the amount it is to renew here in Utah, the initial amount is only $25.00, so I'm going to assume it's $25.00 every year.
It's your business license fees that get you here, and they vary so greatly through our state it's bananas! It's $80.00 in my city for one, and $40.00 for the health department to come in.
One of my friends was working on getting her license in a city about 30 minutes away from me, and her cost was almost triple mine. She had to pay $80.00 for a license form the city, and then $200.00 for a conditional use permit. :ouch:

This thread got me really interested in how Utah does things, hopefully Meeko can chime in, the only thing I really found info on was the Utah Career Ladder, but I can't really find info on what it's about!

Willow 06-26-2012 07:18 AM

I think in MN it varies by county because I believe some don't pay at all

True!

When I first started out in my original county I paid a first year license fee, and then after that they charged it every two years.

Moved (different county) - nada. I kept waiting for my new licensor to ask me for it. When she didn't I asked and yeah, they don't charge that here.

It's really odd to me how this can vary so greatly county to county within a single state.

youretooloud 06-26-2012 07:40 AM

Wow...my area is $1000 a year. Plus a $30 application fee, proof of daycare insurance, (about $300 a year) You have to pay for your own fingerprinting.

That's one of the reasons nobody wants to be licensed.

originalkat 06-26-2012 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by katieica:
In KS, we have to pay $85 for the state fee, $87 for group homes. That is yearly. Then, we have to pay our county a fee as well. My county's fee is $65. We have to have 5 hours of training to renew.

As far as subsidy, the rate is $2/hr regardless of age of children or a provider's education. We can charge parents the difference between our rates and the subsidy rate though. I just don't contract with the state because it's like pulling teeth to get parents to pay their portion.

Yes, I don't mess with the subsidy either because of the reason you stated. Some People think if they are going to get subsidy that they shouldn't pay anything out of pocket.

Blackcat31 06-26-2012 07:50 AM

Yes, I don't mess with the subsidy either because of the reason you stated. Some People think if they are going to get subsidy that they shouldn't pay anything out of pocket.

I would absolutely not take any type of subsidy if I was not allowed to charge the parent the difference between what the state pays and what I charge. I also feel really badly for those providers who can't charge late fees or push to enforce the parent co-pays. That would be a deal breaker for me for sure.

I used to take state assisted families without concern, but after our state went through a government shutdown, it changed my feelings about state assistance. I now only allow 2 of my spaces to be occupied by families who have state assistance as payment. I can't allow my personal finances to be so dependent on one payment source.

Licensing fees vary between counties in my state as the rules and guidelines for child care are set by the state but the fees and implementation of the rules are left to each county.

I am lucky enough to have never paid one dime towards being licensed. I don't pay any money to re-license and I didn't have to pay for the fire marshall inspection either. :)

youretooloud 06-26-2012 08:17 AM

I would absolutely not take any type of subsidy if I was not allowed to charge the parent the difference between what the state pays and what I charge. I also feel really badly for those providers who can't charge late fees or push to enforce the parent co-pays. That would be a deal breaker for me for sure.
)

I heard that California providers aren't even getting their state subsidy check, but aren't allowed to drop those kids who are basically coming for free.

I don't have any idea if it's true or not. The lady that told me lives in ORange County.

jojosmommy 06-26-2012 11:08 AM

JEALOUS!!! I am in MN and we pay 150 every two years. They used to charge 75 every year but changed it to 150 every two "to save county money":lol::confused:.

And yes here if you have a 4 yr in early childhood or CDA or meet some other educational requirements you can get paid 15% more but only if you also charge your non state pay families that same rate. I did it for a while and it was nice to get paid more based on my education.

satcook 06-28-2012 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by katieica:

I'm the director of a center in Kansas. We have to pay the state $75.00 + $1.00 per child. We are licensed for 78 so we pay $153.00. When the county comes out to inspect they charge us an additional $230.00. If they come out for any additional inspections (to approve room change, complaints, etc.) we are charged another fee.

Lori

Meeko 06-28-2012 12:22 PM

$25 for annual licensing fee.
$60 every other year for a kitchen inspection.
20 hours training per year with 10 being face to face in a classroom setting.

State pay has just been increased as of next month.
$500 newborn to 2 yrs
$493 2 yrs
$480 3 yr olds
$462 4 yr olds
$450 5 yr olds
$389 6-13 year olds

That's the max the state will pay. We can charge what we like and the parent has to make up any difference.

My city business license is currently $25, but may be raised to $150 next year:eek::eek::eek: yes....I had something to say to my city leaders about THAT one!!!

itlw8 06-28-2012 01:39 PM

Mo is free I do pay $30 for a city license.

we have to have 12 hours training a year the state does pay a small amount more for subsidy if you are accredited.