Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Own Child's Ill (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36380)

Unregistered 10-30-2011 08:21 PM

Own Child's Ill

Just wondering what others would do when this happens. Yesterday (Sat) my son (22 months) was running a 103 temp most the afternoon and evening, and has a runny nose. Today it hasnt been as high. With him so young I cant separate him all day. I plan on telling parents in the morning as a warning that someone is sick in the house.

I was wondering since he is so young, would others close for the day? Or would you call and tell them you are available to watch kids but my own is ill and their child would be exposed? Or would you just mention something in the morning and leave it at that?

JenNJ 10-31-2011 03:36 AM

Considering his age I would probably give parents a heads up that he is sick. When they get older it is easier to separate kids from the group but he is too young for that.

Hope he feels better.

Meyou 10-31-2011 03:58 AM

I would give the parent's a heads up since he can't be seperated. My kids are older so I just keep them away now and don't bother to tell the parents.

AfterSchoolMom 10-31-2011 04:28 AM

I'd tell them before they get there - that way they have at least a bit of time to find alternate care if they choose to do that.

I hope your son feels better soon!

Unregistered 10-31-2011 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Just wondering what others would do when this happens. Yesterday (Sat) my son (22 months) was running a 103 temp most the afternoon and evening, and has a runny nose. Today it hasnt been as high. With him so young I cant separate him all day. I plan on telling parents in the morning as a warning that someone is sick in the house.

I was wondering since he is so young, would others close for the day? Or would you call and tell them you are available to watch kids but my own is ill and their child would be exposed? Or would you just mention something in the morning and leave it at that?

I stopped telling DCP when my kids where sick I was tired of them blaming my kids for there kids getting sick, tired of the well I cant bring my child sick to daycare but you opened when your child was sick, etc.. To me its none of there buisness they are my children not daycare children and I can keep my older 2 seperate as they will stay in there room but youngest is harder to seperate but I always try my best I also lysol and bleach everythin down.

Nellie 10-31-2011 06:27 AM

I'd call them and let them know. Just as you want to keep your family safe from sick daycare kids I believe they should have the same protection. I'd want to keep my kid home. If you want to be open thats fine, but give the parents the opportunity to keep their kids home. I always let my parents know. A few send there kids anyways and most keep them at home.

youretooloud 10-31-2011 07:57 AM

My youngest was sick non stop when she was young. She was in the hospital a lot, and I usually closed while she was hospitalized, but if we were at home, I just built her a little nest on the couch, turned on the tv, gave the other kids lots of things to do in the playroom, and hoped for the best.

Unregistered 10-31-2011 08:21 AM

I've always called and told the parents I have one with a fever and these are the other symptoms. They're welcome to bring the child and I'll keep them separate. I don't have a lot of kids & mine are bigger so it works for me. If I were on the other side, I'd want to know if someone else was sick and the basic symptoms so that I could decide, so that's what I do for them.

If I'm the one who is sick, I go by how I feel. If it's so bad I feel like laying on the couch all day, I'll call them to not come. Anything less than that, I just sit the hand sanitizer on the table and use it every single time I walk by.