Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How Often Do You Change Diapers? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20212)

legomom922 09-30-2010 08:44 AM

How Often Do You Change Diapers?

I had a conversation with another DCP, and we were talking about diaper changes..have no idea how it led into that, but anyway I do mine about every 1 1/2 hr, and she does them every 45min-1 hr. I know alot depends on the ages, but what do you do? Just curious what the "norm"is, if there is one.

kendallina 09-30-2010 08:51 AM

For my 3-hour preschool I change them just once, about 1-1/2 hours in (unless they're poopy of course). I couldn't imagine changing them every 45 minutes! That's all I'd be doing. And, honestly, if I was a parent in that program I would not be happy if my child went through 8 diapers (or more!) in an 8-hr day, too much waste.

safechner 09-30-2010 08:51 AM

I do mine about 4-6 changing diapers a day from 8am to 6pm.

TGT09 09-30-2010 08:58 AM

I mostly do on an as needed basis because I have minimal children in diapers. I check about every 30 minutes unless I smell something funky. ;-)

melskids 09-30-2010 09:04 AM

i do them every 2 hrs. only cause this is what they did in the center i used to work in, so i thought that was the norm...lol :o

of course, if they are poopy or more full then normal, i will do it more frequently.

DCMom 09-30-2010 09:11 AM

About every two hours or so unless poopy. Works out right to be right around meals/snacks and nap schedule here.

DanceMom 09-30-2010 09:31 AM

About every two hours. I know when my daughter was in daycare they needed diapers from me ALLL the time and they are so expensive. they were changing her every hour. I don't think its going to hurt to change them every two hours..( unless poopy of course )

marniewon 09-30-2010 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by DCMom:
About every two hours or so unless poopy. Works out right to be right around meals/snacks and nap schedule here.

Same here. Before morning nap, after morning nap, before pm nap, after pm nap. Unless poopy. I've had these kids for a while now, and have pretty much figured out their "schedule"....lol

I have one here who, unless poopy, doesn't ever need to be changed. Might be a little wet after pm nap, but that's it. No matter how much fluids I give him, he hardly ever wets!

MarinaVanessa 09-30-2010 09:39 AM

Yup I check about every 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours here. I used to do it more often (check) and it says in my policy that kids will more likely go through more diapers here than at home but I had too many DCP's complain so I ask them how often they want me to check which is about every 1 1/2 hrs to 2 hrs.

Of course if it smells like there's a surprise for me in there then I change immediately.

laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09-30-2010 09:43 AM

I change whenever they are wet. I cant stand the thought of having them sit in it. it usually averages every hour to hour 1/2. but if I notice they are wet, I do change them.

SilverSabre25 09-30-2010 10:08 AM

Every two hours unless I smell something in-between, which isn't very often, interestingly. So, I do them at 9, 11, 1, 3, and 5. Not everyone is here at 9 or 5, and this nicely brackets naptimes and outside times. It works out perfectly for my group.

DBug 09-30-2010 10:30 AM

At 8, 9, 10, 12:30, 3:00 and 5:30 -- unless they're stinky, of course! I do them all at the same time and they all sit on potties each time. My first dc child was in cloth diapers, and he tends to go ALOT in the morning. My schedule kind of built off of his schedule :lol:. I do go through a ton of diapers, but I've never had a parent complain. I did have a parent comment that her child's other daycare (she was going to mine and another one simultaneously) didn't change her often enough, so I felt like that was a vote of confidence in my favour :D.

WImom 09-30-2010 10:35 AM

Every two hours unless they are stinky.

Jewels 09-30-2010 11:31 AM

When they are babies, quite often, But I think once they get over 18 months, they just don't go as much, so I pretty much go every 2 hours, or as needed with poop, my old daycare used to send my son home, loaded, and he would always reek of pee, used to make me so mad.

misol 09-30-2010 11:43 AM

With kids in care from 8:30-6:00 I had scheduled changes at 10am, 1pm, 3pm, and 5:30pm. If I smelled poop in between those times I would change the guilty party.

tmcp2001 09-30-2010 03:28 PM

I also change every 2 hours and, of course, anytime someone is poopy. :rolleyes:

Question though, for providers who are outside at pickup time - how do you handle playing outside AND trying to make sure kids go home with clean/dry diapers? We are outside from 4-5/5:15 based on the last pick up and all the diapers are changed at 3:30 after snack. The ones that go home between 4 and 4:30 don't need to be changed but my last kid always needs to be changed around 5. So, I end up bringing him in and changing him and then just staying inside - when I'd rather stay outside until all the kids are gone! How do you do it?

DBug 09-30-2010 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by tmcp2001:
Question though, for providers who are outside at pickup time - how do you handle playing outside AND trying to make sure kids go home with clean/dry diapers?

I keep an extra diaper for each kid in their cubbies, which are at the back door. While we're all out in the back yard, I can step just inside and change a kid on the floor if it's necessary. It's not a daily occurance though for my kids -- I'm not sure how I'd do it if I had to do that every day. However, if it's just one child who needs changing in your case, you can always just carry them in to your change area without taking off their shoes or coat and then go straight back outside. Not so practical in the winter, but this time of year isn't too bad ...

Former Teacher 09-30-2010 04:43 PM

When I worked at my former center and I had the younger kids, it was always 2 hours or if poopied.

However if a child has been dry for awhile (as in potty training), I would still change the diaper only because a. I didn't want the child to be sent home in the same diaper and b. all that sweat etc..I would rather have a fresh diaper on them.

Once there was a parent who asked me that question (I was in the infant room YEARS ago). I told him 2 hours blah blah blah...he asked if I could change his daughter (6 weeks old) AFTER feeding because she would always have a poopie and it would be a waste of a diaper. Well this baby would sleep for HOURS. I told him no. I said that I would change her if she was wet/poopie after her sleepy time. I told him that he wouldn't like to be in a wet diaper next to his skin haha. He actually agreed with me. I told him..hey then if she poops she poops. :lol:

ninosqueridos 09-30-2010 05:13 PM

every 2 hours (addl if pooped).....except every hour for dcg who is quite prone to rashes