Daycare.com Forum

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Working in Childcare with Misdemeanors (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29580)

Bobbyz 04-13-2011 08:55 PM

Working in Childcare with Misdemeanors

I applied to a day care here in the State of Nevada. I worked a couple of days to see if I was a good fit for three days before I had my finger prints done. I am ECE major and the facility and the director loved me and I am in fact a great fit. However, I am worried about the background check which is I have 2 misdemeanors. (1. Criminal Trespassing 2. Hindering Law Enforcement Officer) In which at that point in my life i was young and stupid. However I have talked to my Director and she said it should not be a big deal. However I am still worried about my job and if they will accept me. What do you all think.

Michael 04-13-2011 10:05 PM

I don't think a misdemeanor will prevent you from operating a daycare. https://www.daycare.com/nevada

NAC 432A.302 Appointment of director convicted of certain crimes prohibited;
capabilities of staff. (NRS 432A.077)
1. A licensee of a child care facility shall not knowingly appoint a person as director of the
facility or appoint or permit the appointment of a person as an employee or volunteer at the
facility if the person has been convicted of child abuse or neglect or any other crime involving
physical harm to a person or if a criminal action for such a crime is pending against the person.
2. The staff of a child care facility must be able to:
(a) Work with children without recourse to physical punishment or psychological abuse;
(b) Communicate with children and their parents;
(c) Praise and encourage children and provide them with a variety of opportunities for
learning and social experiences; and
(d) Recognize and eliminate hazards to the safety of children.
(Added to NAC by Bd. for Child Care, eff. 6-5-84)

tulip1969 04-14-2011 02:22 AM

Since you already spoke to the director and it doesn't involve anything really serious I don't think you should worry.

Meeko 04-14-2011 04:58 AM

The background check is more to rule out that you don't have any CHILD related convictions etc. that would bar you from working with kids. I remember going to a training here in Utah and a lady brought up background checks. The licensor told her they are looking for child related things specifically.
However, an individual employer may see other things and come to the conclusion that a prospective employee might be a risk (several theft notations for example) or numerous speeding tickets may make her think the person is irresponsible. THAT part would be up to the employer.

But as you seem to be doing great, your check would only show misdemeaners and the director doesn't seem bothered...I think you will be just fine.

Bobbyz 04-14-2011 06:56 AM

thank you everyone. :D

Unregistered 07-12-2012 04:19 PM

family violence

what if u have a misdemeanor on family violence? Could u still work at a daycare??? here in Austin Texas?

MandyLou 01-15-2014 04:22 PM

Ohio - can I work at a day care with a misdemeanor from 3 years back?

I applied at a child care center today, and the woman who interviewed me loved me and wanted to have me come in to just watch for a little while to see if this was something I wanted to do. When she got to the requirements - medical exam, background check, etc - I let her know I have a misdemeanor that is over 3 years old, possession of a controlled substance III, IV or V. And she said she would call an agency and check to see if that was OK and call me tomorrow.

I just want to know tonight to soothe my jitters - do I have a chance? The director loved me, I got the interview from a good word of an old friend of mine who knows me and my character. Is it legal in Ohio to have a child care employee who has a misdemeanor? (I am currently working on getting it expunged, but it will show up on a background check right now I am sure.)

This was my first, last and only blemish on my record. I would appreciate any links or info - I've searched Google for a good part of an hour and can't find anything definitive.

Unregistered 12-14-2015 02:10 PM

I want to work in a daycare in florida. I have a missdomener of theft in the 2 will that prevent me from working there

Beebee 09-24-2019 04:10 PM

Misdemeanor question

I just was recently charged with a misdemeanor petty theft and 3 year summary probation no priors. My question is will this affect me starting in the childcare field and starting my own daycare? If so approximately how long does it take until I’m able?

hwichlaz 09-24-2019 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Beebee:
I just was recently charged with a misdemeanor petty theft and 3 year summary probation no priors. My question is will this affect me starting in the childcare field and starting my own daycare? If so approximately how long does it take until I’m able?

At the minimum you have to complete probation before getting a background check waiver.