Daycare.com Forum
1 2 

Daycare.com Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/index.php)
-   Daycare Center and Family Home Forum (https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How Many Kids Are You Legally Allowed To Have? (https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26085)

Sunny Day 01-28-2011 01:12 PM

How Many Kids Are You Legally Allowed To Have?

Just out of curiosity, for those of you who are unlicensed does your state/province have a limit to the number of children you can have in your care at one time and where do you live? I see that some of you have anywhere from 8-12 kids at one time! I don't know how you would ever do it! :eek: I live in Ontario and under the Daycare Nurseries Act, I'm allowed to have 5 under the age of 10 plus my own.

Michael 01-28-2011 01:14 PM

Ontario Canada or Ontario California? Funny - Ontario, CA or Ontario, CA? BTW, I am surprised by how many members we have here from Canada. I am starting to think Daycare.com should expand there.

Sunny Day 01-28-2011 01:15 PM

lol, Ontario, Canada--sorry!

Little People 01-28-2011 01:21 PM

I am in TN and Not Licensed, but I can have 4 unrelated and 4 related children. I called my district Licensing office to make sure I was legal. But right now I have 3 full time DCG's and in 3 weeks I will have 2 related children. :D

kendallina 01-28-2011 01:21 PM

In Ohio we can have up to 6 children (including our own) without a license and that's what I do. I don't know how many we're allowed to have with a license.

DBug 01-28-2011 01:22 PM

I vote for expanding in Canada! CanadaDaycare.com perhaps? :D

I'm in Ontario and unlicensed too, so 5 is my limit. I have had many parents subtly question that though, when I tell them I don't have any more spots available. I kind of wonder if that means if there are other unlicensed providers don't know/pay attention to the legal limit?

Regardless, I prefer littles, so 5 is a good limit for me :p.

Symphony 01-28-2011 01:24 PM

I am licensed, but where I live if you aren't you are allowed to watch two children or one family. So that one family can have 10 children and you are ok. You may not have more than two children though if they are from more than one family. They are super strict about it too. For example, say you have two kids that you watch every Monday, but only Monday...you can't watch any other kids Tuesday through Sunday.

The only exception to this is if you do occasional care. So you can watch as many kids as you want now and then, but as soon as they have a schedule, they count!

countrymom 01-28-2011 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sunny Day:
Just out of curiosity, for those of you who are unlicensed does your state/province have a limit to the number of children you can have in your care at one time and where do you live? I see that some of you have anywhere from 8-12 kids at one time! I don't know how you would ever do it! :eek: I live in Ontario and under the Daycare Nurseries Act, I'm allowed to have 5 under the age of 10 plus my own.

your wrong, its 5 children NOT including yours. Now if you went to weewatch then its 5 children plus your own. Acually its not that hard with many children, I have 4 of my own plus 5 that I watch (mine range from 6-12) so its a house full, but I like it because the day always goes quickly and the kids get along so well, then sometimes I have my neice comes or my kids have friends....

daysofelijah 01-28-2011 01:28 PM

Only one family, that family could have 12 kids, but as long as they are all siblings, I guess it's legal, lol.

I'm licensed so I can have up to 10 including my own. There is also a license for 8, 12, and 14, I think depending on qualifications.

countrymom 01-28-2011 01:36 PM

how do you ladies count your own children if all of them are in school from sept to june. what do you do in the summer. I hope it makes sense, but i always wondered. Do you get rid of kids because your kids are home for the summer. That would stink big time.

Sunny Day 01-28-2011 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by countrymom:
your wrong, its 5 children NOT including yours. Now if you went to weewatch then its 5 children plus your own. Acually its not that hard with many children, I have 4 of my own plus 5 that I watch (mine range from 6-12) so its a house full, but I like it because the day always goes quickly and the kids get along so well, then sometimes I have my neice comes or my kids have friends....

I'm confused....isn't that the same thing? :confused: I can have 5 daycare children plus my own little girl. That is the same as not including your own kids in the count, is it not? What you said is the same as what I said, just differently...I think! :D I can have 5 daycare kids and then as many of my own kids as I want, I've contacted numerous agencies/licensing agencies in my area (although they have specific regulations they still know the limits for unlicensed) and have read the act.

Luna 01-28-2011 02:01 PM

I'm also in Ontario Canada, and I'm with Wee Watch so I can have 5. My kids are all grown & on their own so they don't count. 5 is plenty for me, I don't know how anyone does it with more than that!

DCMomOf3 01-28-2011 02:03 PM

Wisconsin says you can have up to 3 kids that aren't your own unlicensed.

SilverSabre25 01-28-2011 02:05 PM

What kendallina said regarding OH. With a Type A license you can have 7-12 kids with an assistant. Not all counties license Type A homes, though (mine being one of them :mad:)--if mine did, DH might quit his job to work with me full-time.

SandeeAR 01-28-2011 03:07 PM

Arkansas, 5 kiddos, that includes your own. Limit 3 under 2.

melissa ann 01-28-2011 03:27 PM

In PA we can have up to 3 kids, not including my own.

QualiTcare 01-28-2011 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Little People:
I am in TN and Not Licensed, but I can have 4 unrelated and 4 related children. I called my district Licensing office to make sure I was legal. But right now I have 3 full time DCG's and in 3 weeks I will have 2 related children. :D

i really want to see this in writing. anyone know where the regs are that state this in tennessee?

mickey2 01-28-2011 05:21 PM

I live in Ontario Canada as well. In the Province of Ontario, home child care providers may provide care for up to 5 children under 10 years of age who are not of common parentage (children who have different parents), in addition to his/her own children at any given time in his/her own home.

I have 5 full time children, as well as my 14 month old grandson and my own 7 year old son.

I truly find that the larger my group size, the easier it is to care for the children.

cillybean83 01-28-2011 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
i really want to see this in writing. anyone know where the regs are that state this in tennessee?

http://www.tn.gov/humanserv/adfam/ch...ng-offices.pdf

and this is the number/address of who I spoke with

Madison County Office: Jackson
225 Martin Luther King Drive
Jackson, TN 38301-6920
Phone: 731.423.5850 Extension: 201

littlemonkeys 01-28-2011 06:02 PM

I'm not 100% sure of the unlicensed rules in California because I am licensed, but I think I heard that you can have 1 related family (no limit), and either 1 or 2 un-related families (no limit), plus your own.

Now I'm curious and totally going to call Monday! lol!

juliebug 01-28-2011 06:54 PM

unlicensed 3 children not including yours

licensed 10 children including yours under 9yrs

this is for Nebraska

snbauser 01-28-2011 07:05 PM

I'm in NC. Here you can have 2 not related to you without being licensed. Then you licenses for either 5 or 5+3 school age for a total of 8 depending on where you live. After that it is up to 12 for Center in a Residence with appropriate assistants to meet ratio's. I am a Center in a Residence I have 12 children and 3 other teachers that work with me.

QualiTcare 01-28-2011 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by cillybean83:
http://www.tn.gov/humanserv/adfam/ch...ng-offices.pdf

and this is the number/address of who I spoke with

Madison County Office: Jackson
225 Martin Luther King Drive
Jackson, TN 38301-6920
Phone: 731.423.5850 Extension: 201

that link didn't work for me. everything i've found on the website says a license is required for anyone who keeps 5 children and that includes related children under a certain age (either 9 or 10). i found a statement which i posted on the other thread where this was mentioned: Family Child Care Homes provide care for at least five but not more than seven children. Children under ten years of age, who are related to the caregiver, must be included in the total number.

http://www.tn.gov/humanserv/adfam/cctype.html

Little People (a registered user) said she spoke with someone who said she could keep 4 related children and 4 unrelated children. That doesn't match up with what's on the website either.

here's another statement i found on that site. "The Department of Human Services has the legal responsibility for licensing
homes, that provide child care for 5-7 children."

http://www.tn.gov/humanserv/adfam/cc/FAMSUMJun09.pdf

this document was as of June 2009. i wonder if something has changed, and if it has - i think it would be good to have an employee verify the information in an email so it's in writing if you are keeping more than 4 children without a license.

Here's more info:

Examples of child care which do not require licensure ;

•Care provided in a child's own home
•Program which operate no more than 2 days a week
•Occupational Child Care/Teen Parenting Labs
•Summer Day Camps
•Programs which operate less than three hours a day
•Boys and Girls Clubs
Programs which care for four or fewer children

T.C.A. § 71-3-503 Programs and
Facilities Exempt from Licensing.
Tennessee Code Annotated

boysx5 01-29-2011 03:29 AM

I live in Maryland and you have to be license to watch any child not related to you or unrelated for only 20 hours a month. We can have eight children two under two. Your own children count until the age of six since my youngest is seven none of my boys count.

Little People 01-29-2011 05:24 AM

I sent Tom Copeland a PM and told him that I had called my district and that they said that I could have 4 unrelated and 4 related and that I would like to make sure I was running my home daycare legal. I ask Tom if he would call and confirm this. Tom DID call and they told him this same thing!! I will send you another PM on this.

Little People 01-29-2011 05:34 AM

that link didn't work for me. everything i've found on the website says a license is required for anyone who keeps 5 children and that includes related children under a certain age (either 9 or 10). i found a statement which i posted on the other thread where this was mentioned: Family Child Care Homes provide care for at least five but not more than seven children. Children under ten years of age, who are related to the caregiver, must be included in the total number.

http://www.tn.gov/humanserv/adfam/cctype.html

Little People (a registered user) said she spoke with someone who said she could keep 4 related children and 4 unrelated children. That doesn't match up with what's on the website either.

here's another statement i found on that site. "The Department of Human Services has the legal responsibility for licensing
homes, that provide child care for 5-7 children."

http://www.tn.gov/humanserv/adfam/cc/FAMSUMJun09.pdf

this document was as of June 2009. i wonder if something has changed, and if it has - i think it would be good to have an employee verify the information in an email so it's in writing if you are keeping more than 4 children without a license.

Here's more info:

Examples of child care which do not require licensure ;

•Care provided in a child's own home
•Program which operate no more than 2 days a week
•Occupational Child Care/Teen Parenting Labs
•Summer Day Camps
•Programs which operate less than three hours a day
•Boys and Girls Clubs
Programs which care for four or fewer children

T.C.A. § 71-3-503 Programs and
Facilities Exempt from Licensing.
Tennessee Code Annotated

Here is who I called:
District 8 Office: Memphis
170 North Mail Street, 8th Floor
Memphis, TN 38103-9987
PHONE: 901-543-7954
Fax: 901-543-6470

I called and they TOLD me that I could have 4 unrelated and 4 related, again I ask her 2 times and she chuckled when I ask her again. I also had Tom Copeland call my district.

QualiTcare, I don't know if it is because we are in different districts, but I have called and this is what they told me. I have included their fax number if you would like to send them a fax. All I can say is I want to run LEGAL and I have made the call to district 8 and so has Tom.

cillybean83 01-29-2011 07:45 AM

i called as well and they are very friendly and willing to help in any way. I called in April of 2010 when I was getting started, they were more than helpful and even sent me a letter stating what I could and couldn't do without a license. :)

Danielle 01-29-2011 07:55 AM

I can have up to 6 not including my children. No more than 4 under 2 including my children. And then there's a point system for ratio and that includes my children. I'm currently at my limit b/c of ratio when everyone is here: my 2 children, 2 parttimers and 2 fulltimers.

Little People 01-29-2011 07:57 AM

i called as well and they are very friendly and willing to help in any way. I called in April of 2010 when I was getting started, they were more than helpful and even sent me a letter stating what I could and couldn't do without a license. :)

How are you doing today? Hopefully things are looking brighter for you today!!:):Sunny:

QualiTcare 01-29-2011 09:26 AM

Here is who I called:
District 8 Office: Memphis
170 North Mail Street, 8th Floor
Memphis, TN 38103-9987
PHONE: 901-543-7954
Fax: 901-543-6470

I called and they TOLD me that I could have 4 unrelated and 4 related, again I ask her 2 times and she chuckled when I ask her again. I also had Tom Copeland call my district.

QualiTcare, I don't know if it is because we are in different districts, but I have called and this is what they told me. I have included their fax number if you would like to send them a fax. All I can say is I want to run LEGAL and I have made the call to district 8 and so has Tom.

I don't doubt that you called and got the information. I'm just confused as to why they have it posted all over the website that the limit is 4. I know you said in the other thread you thought it was four also before you called. Did you get that number from the website also? It's just weird.

Little People 01-29-2011 09:35 AM

I don't doubt that you called and got the information. I'm just confused as to why they have it posted all over the website that the limit is 4. I know you said in the other thread you thought it was four also before you called. Did you get that number from the website also? It's just weird.

The only thing I can think of is that when reading the licensing rules they are for FUTURE and Licensed homes and not for unlicensed homes. I really don't know. Have you called your district? Could it be different districts also can have there own set of rules for unlicensed homes?

I got the 4 from the link for TN from daycare.com. I never really though about related children till I had a family member that wants me to watch her children starting in spring and then when cillybean had posted about her numbers. That is when I decided to call and see what they said. And I got my answer, 4 unrelated and 4 related.

Have you called your district??

QualiTcare 01-29-2011 10:02 AM

The only thing I can think of is that when reading the licensing rules they are for FUTURE and Licensed homes and not for unlicensed homes. I really don't know. Have you called your district? Could it be different districts also can have there own set of rules for unlicensed homes?

I got the 4 from the link for TN from daycare.com. I never really though about related children till I had a family member that wants me to watch her children starting in spring and then when cillybean had posted about her numbers. That is when I decided to call and see what they said. And I got my answer, 4 unrelated and 4 related.

Have you called your district??

No the licensing rules on tn.gov are state wide which is why it doesn't make sense

Little People 01-29-2011 10:07 AM

No the licensing rules on tn.gov are state wide which is why it doesn't make sense

Can you call your district on Monday and see what they tell you. If you do please let me know what they say. Since my district and cillybeans districts (we are both in TN but different districts) are saying the same thing, maybe yours will too. ;) Are you licensed or unlicensed?

QualiTcare 01-29-2011 10:12 AM

Can you call your district on Monday and see what they tell you. If you do please let me know what they say. Since my district and cillybeans districts (we are both in TN but different districts) are saying the same thing, maybe yours will too. ;) Are you licensed or unlicensed?

I may call out of curiosity. I actually stopped keeping kids last year 2010 but I was unlicensed n never kept more than 4 but I wouldn't have kept more even if I could.

AmandasFCC 01-29-2011 10:33 AM

I am a licensed provider in BC, Canada, licensed for 7 children including my own. I'm working on obtaining my ECE diploma so I can apply for a Multi-Age In-Home Group Care license for 8 kids (including my own) and more reasonable ratios :)

cillybean83 01-29-2011 11:13 AM

I feel a lot better today, thanks for asking <3 We got it all sorted out, it's going to work out fine

Unregistered 01-29-2011 11:59 AM

I'm in Indiana. An unlicensed home is allowed 5 unrelated children, and I don't think there's a limit to related children.
A class 1 licensed home is allowed up to 12 children plus 3 school age children during the school year (and however many children they have of their own), but the ages of the children play into that number also (no more than 3 of those children can be under 16 months, and must be walking). so a total of 15 ages 0-school age.
A class 2 licensed home is allowed up to 16 children (and however many of their own children), plus up to 3 school agers during the school year. So a total of 19 ages 0-12.

A provider can have up to 10 children (plus up to 3 school agers over age 6) by themselves and still be in ratio (and however many of their own children) ages 0-6. But if the youngest child is 3 years old the ratio goes up to 12 children for one provider.

I looked at center based care and their school age ratio is 20:1! That's crazy! The other ratios are: 15:1 for 5 yr olds, 12:1 for 4 yr olds, 10:1 for 3 yr olds, 5:1 for 2 yr olds and toddlers, and 1:4 for infants. So between ages 2 and 3 the ratio doubles!

How many of you providers who only provide care for school agers think you can manage 20 of them by yourself?

Mrs.Ky 01-29-2011 12:35 PM

Here in NC unlicensed can have 2 unrelated to you and your own do not count. Summer programs and drop in care have different guidelines.

Little People 01-29-2011 12:56 PM

i feel a lot better today, thanks for asking <3 we got it all sorted out, it's going to work out fine

great!! :)

Michelle 01-29-2011 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by littlemonkeys:
I'm not 100% sure of the unlicensed rules in California because I am licensed, but I think I heard that you can have 1 related family (no limit), and either 1 or 2 un-related families (no limit), plus your own.

Now I'm curious and totally going to call Monday! lol!

I'm in Ca.
It's one unrelated family... doesn't matter how many siblings, so Little Monkey's...I will be giving octomom your phone number, o.k?
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

dEHmom 01-30-2011 09:01 AM

Manitoba, Canada

Unlicensed 4 kids including your own.

Licensed it's 8 kids/licensed provider (so you can hire other licensed providers) including your own.

momofsix 01-30-2011 09:25 AM

I wish I lived anywhere but MI, here we must be licensed to care for any unerelated child-period. Even one. It's crazy, I think.

ammama 01-30-2011 11:22 AM

I'm in Alberta. Unlicensed, you can have 6 kids under 12 yrs of age, not including your own children. If you go through an agency (which is the equivalent of licensed) , you can have 6 children under 12 yrs of age, INCLUDING your own, and there are age limits (only 3 under 3yrs, only 2 under 2 yrs). I go through an agency now, so 4 dck's plus my own 2 kids. When baby is born in June, I will go private so that I can keep my 4 dck's, plus my own 3 kids.

AnythingsPossible 01-30-2011 01:07 PM

Unlicensed in our state we can watch 2. Licensed, it depends on the available space. I can have 10 plus my own children that are SA. If children are under 5, they count in our numbers. On days when everyone is in care and there is no school, I have 13. Luckily I don't run full very often!!

Unregistered 01-30-2011 01:56 PM

Is anyone from Georgia? I was wondering how many you could keep unlicensed.

DCMomOf3 01-30-2011 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Is anyone from Georgia? I was wondering how many you could keep unlicensed.

I have been looking, and I only see that before/after school care is exempt from licensing.I haven't found a site, or gov. page that says much more than that. I hope someone from GA will have a more concrete answer.

VanessaEO 01-30-2011 05:23 PM

I'm in Utah, the unlicensed law here is 4 unrelated children. I'm not sure if your children count or not. But you are allowed to watch any number of related children without being licensed.

Licensed is 8 per care provider, excluding your own children 4+.

I'm a licensed family group - for 16 kids because I have two full time caregivers. In the last year I have employed 3 full time assistants at one time or another but now its just myself and my husband.

Gurdy 01-31-2011 08:13 AM

I am in Missouri we can care for up to 4 children with no license. Related children do not count towards that 4.

Licensed, you can have up to 10 children in care. If you have 10 children, only 2 can be under the age of two. If you have three kids under the age of two, you may only have a max of 6 children in care. Or you can have 4 children in care all under the age of two.

All children that are related to you do not count in your totals, regardless of age.

You have to have 35 square feet of playroom floor space for each child in care not counting any floor space that has furniture on it.

MommyMuffin 01-31-2011 08:20 AM

I can have 10, but only 8 under schoolage. I do not take children past 6 years old though. I have 2 infants and 1 toddler, and 1 preschooler. My preschool spots have been very hard to fill.

Little People 01-31-2011 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Gurdy:
I am in Missouri we can care for up to 4 children with no license. Related children do not count towards that 4.

Licensed, you can have up to 10 children in care. If you have 10 children, only 2 can be under the age of two. If you have three kids under the age of two, you may only have a max of 6 children in care. Or you can have 4 children in care all under the age of two.

All children that are related to you do not count in your totals, regardless of age.

You have to have 35 square feet of playroom floor space for each child in care not counting any floor space that has furniture on it.

I was licensed in Missouri 22 years ago and those are some of the same rules:) I wonder if my licensing Rep Valerie is still there. she was so nice!!

Annette 01-31-2011 10:20 AM

In NY unlicensed 2 plus your own. Licensed family day care 6 plus 2 before and after school, no more than 2 under 2, Group Family Day Care 12 plus 4 before and after school age. no more than 4 under 2.

Cat Herder 01-31-2011 12:06 PM

Georgia is confusing..... I found it, though. They just had a huge turnover and issued all new rules and regs on the site for January 2011. Interesting read....:lol::lol::lol:

http://decal.ga.gov/documents/attach...egulations.pdf

Unregistered 02-02-2011 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Catherder:
Georgia is confusing..... I found it, though. They just had a huge turnover and issued all new rules and regs on the site for January 2011. Interesting read....:lol::lol::lol:

http://decal.ga.gov/documents/attach...egulations.pdf

Confusing is correct. You need a lawyer to decipher it!! I'm still not sure how many kids can be kept legally without a license.

Cat Herder 02-02-2011 03:45 AM

Confusing is correct. You need a lawyer to decipher it!! I'm still not sure how many kids can be kept legally without a license.

I was told 2 for pay (related or not) by a friend who owns a large center and has a specialized home daycare in North Georgia. Last year it was 4, she is pretty steamed about it, and has been at this 30+ years so I tend to believe her. :Sunny:

If you are not receiving pay you can have up to 12 kids (including your own) with signed/notarized forms with the parents social security number on it. Nice???? :confused:

You can be exempt from all if you only keep "migrant" kids(definition please??:p Could Military kids qualify, the have to migrate all over the place ;)) ....:confused:

Tell me how that is about whats in the best interest of kids??? :ouch:

momofboys 02-02-2011 05:15 AM

I am in Ohio too but since 2 of my own kids are 6 or over they do not count in my numbers so I could then have 6 other kids (or 8 total if you count my older ones). My youngest child is 3 so he counts so I could then have 5 other kids other than my own.

Preschool/daycare teacher 02-02-2011 02:59 PM

I found this on this website (daycare.com) under Georgia licensing regulations and ratios for licensed family homes: "Number of Children Allowed: 3-6 (up to 12 under 13-yrs, if 6 are related to provider, residents, or children for whom no compensation is received)"
So I would assume that means you can have 1-2 children without being licensed. I know in other states when it says licensed homes can have x to x number of children, anything under the minimum number is how many you can have unlicensed...

I hope that helps...

Unregistered 02-02-2011 03:42 PM

Thanks for the help. I love doing childcare. I currently have 2 children and was going to add 1 more, but I guess I will stick with the ones I have.

Cat Herder 02-03-2011 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
I found this on this website (daycare.com) under Georgia licensing regulations and ratios for licensed family homes: "Number of Children Allowed: 3-6 (up to 12 under 13-yrs, if 6 are related to provider, residents, or children for whom no compensation is received)"
So I would assume that means you can have 1-2 children without being licensed. I know in other states when it says licensed homes can have x to x number of children, anything under the minimum number is how many you can have unlicensed...

I hope that helps...

The one on thiis site is outdated, though. 1994 actually. The new one was just updated for 2011 on the State site. ;)

nannyde 02-03-2011 03:56 AM

Originally Posted by Catherder:
I was told 2 for pay (related or not) by a friend who owns a large center and has a specialized home daycare in North Georgia. Last year it was 4, she is pretty steamed about it, and has been at this 30+ years so I tend to believe her. :Sunny:

If you are not receiving pay you can have up to 12 kids (including your own) with signed/notarized forms with the parents social security number on it. Nice???? :confused:

You can be exempt from all if you only keep "migrant" kids(definition please??:p Could Military kids qualify, the have to migrate all over the place ;)) ....:confused:

Tell me how that is about whats in the best interest of kids??? :ouch:

Oh Georgia you know you just want the money. :D

Unregistered 05-02-2011 01:03 PM

Does anyone know how many you can have in Maine unliscensed?? i can't find it ANYWHERE.

Michael 05-02-2011 03:36 PM

Legal-Unlicensed Child Care in Maine

You'll find it here: www.Daycare.com/maine/

Legal-Unlicensed Child Care
Kith and Kin (family and friend) caregivers, are considered "legal-unlicensed" if they care for only one or two children in their home. Care for Me is a program of the Department of Health and Human Services, Office of Child Care and Head Start, which performs background checks on legal unlicensed providers and maintains a database that is available to parents to verify the background of their Kith and Kin provider. The Care for Me network also provides information to Kith and Kin caregivers on child care health and safety issues.

godiva83 05-02-2011 05:30 PM

I am from Ontario, Canada and like PP we can have 5 unrelated not including or own children. However, you are supposed to only have 2 under 2, 3 under 3 ect according to the DNA (governing regulations for all day care facilities in Ontario) Also, even if you have more than one provider or an assistant you are only permitted 5 children not counting your own under one roof.

Meeko 05-04-2011 01:25 PM

Utah Regs

No license required if watching up to 4 children

License or residential certificate required for 5 to 8 children with one provider. Only 2 children under age 2

License required for up 16 children with two providers. Only 4 children under age 2 (this is my set up)

Unregistered 05-04-2011 01:56 PM

I'm in Indiana. An unlicensed home is allowed 5 unrelated children, and I don't think there's a limit to related children.
A class 1 licensed home is allowed up to 12 children plus 3 school age children during the school year (and however many children they have of their own), but the ages of the children play into that number also (no more than 3 of those children can be under 16 months, and must be walking). so a total of 15 ages 0-school age.
A class 2 licensed home is allowed up to 16 children (and however many of their own children), plus up to 3 school agers during the school year. So a total of 19 ages 0-12.

A provider can have up to 10 children (plus up to 3 school agers over age 6) by themselves and still be in ratio (and however many of their own children) ages 0-6. But if the youngest child is 3 years old the ratio goes up to 12 children for one provider.

I looked at center based care and their school age ratio is 20:1! That's crazy! The other ratios are: 15:1 for 5 yr olds, 12:1 for 4 yr olds, 10:1 for 3 yr olds, 5:1 for 2 yr olds and toddlers, and 1:4 for infants. So between ages 2 and 3 the ratio doubles!

How many of you providers who only provide care for school agers think you can manage 20 of them by yourself?

Actually in Indiana unlicensed, you're only allowed to have 5 total, that includes your own children. So if you have 5 kids of your own under the age of 7 still at home then you can't watch any other children. I'm working towards my Indiana license and have been told this multiple times. Also, your ratios that you have are off. It's 10 children total per adult and over that you need another adult. I worked at a daycare for 3 years and it was the same there.You can only have 12 or 16 total at a time. We did after school care and were told 16 total was what we could have even if they were 9 years old.

MN Day Mom 05-05-2011 06:57 AM

I'm in Minnesota and my licensed capacity will depend upon which classification I am at the time choosing to run under...

I am licensed C-2 which means I can have up to 12 kids within these categories...
10 under school age
2 of these 10 can be Infants/Toddlers
1 of the 2 can be infants (so either 1 infant and 1 toddler or 2 toddlers)
2 school age

However I can also choose to run under a C-1 if it works better for my numbers. Under this category I can have only 10 kids but allows me an additional infant/toddler slot.
8 under school age
3 infant/toddler (2 of the 3 can be infants, not all 3)
2 school age

Unregistered 12-20-2011 07:54 AM

?

Originally Posted by DCMomOf3:
Wisconsin says you can have up to 3 kids that aren't your own unlicensed.

Is it per person? Its me and my boyfriend so could we have six kids? or is it per house hold?

mismatchedsocks 12-20-2011 11:29 AM

household can have 3 that arent your own unlicensed. not per person.

TootsieBear 12-21-2011 07:07 AM

Licensed in Wisconsin can have up to 8 (including your own if they are under 7), depending on the ages of the children. The more infants, the less others. I so wish they would give us a larger license on the condition that a certain number of those were school aged. I live across from an elementary school.

frgsonmysox 12-22-2011 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by juliebug:
unlicensed 3 children not including yours

licensed 10 children including yours under 9yrs

this is for Nebraska

The new laws say for licensed you can only have 8 kids, including your own, plus 2 school age children.

Since I already have 5 of my own kids it doesn't make much sense to hurry up and get licensed. I will only take 3 kids on either way. Still plan to become licensed eventually, but there is no rush.

Unregistered 01-08-2012 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by snbauser:
I'm in NC. Here you can have 2 not related to you without being licensed. Then you licenses for either 5 or 5+3 school age for a total of 8 depending on where you live. After that it is up to 12 for Center in a Residence with appropriate assistants to meet ratio's. I am a Center in a Residence I have 12 children and 3 other teachers that work with me.

What if I watch 3 and dont charge anything for the 3rd child? Is that allowed without being licensed?

Crazy8 01-08-2012 09:22 PM

I am in NJ - limit is 5 kids w/o an assistant. Then there are other restrictions based on ages but I only take one infant at a time and don't take school age so I don't get into all the restrictions much.

tbutler 01-10-2012 01:28 PM

I'm in Texas and I can have 6 all day under age 5 and 6 before and after schoolers. So a total of 12.

CheekyChick 01-10-2012 01:34 PM

I have 16 with assistants. I could NEVER do that by myself. :eek:

JennyBear 01-11-2012 11:37 AM

I'm also in Ontario Canada. I can provide care for 5 children not including my own.

Unregistered 07-25-2012 05:37 AM

do you know if related would be considered any relative or just your own children because i am wanting to get started in the new area i live in and i have my own son and a neice and nephew i would be watching

renodeb 07-25-2012 09:02 AM

Im in Nevada and Im licensed for 6 which is plenty for me!
Deb

MaritimeMummy 07-25-2012 09:43 AM

I'm in NS, and I am a registered, approved home day care through my government. I am NOT licensed, but I have to follow the same standards for care and everything that a licensed day care centre would follow because I still get inspected. But again, I am not licensed.

I can care for a max of 6 kids at one time, including my own. There are stipulations on that.

I can care for all school-aged kids, or

no more than 4 infants (if that is the case, all the children MUST be infants under 18 months and 4 is then my max number) or

no more than 2 of each, infants to 17 months, toddlers, 18 months to 35 months, and preschoolers 36 months and up.

this is pretty flexible though, as I may have someone come into my care who is just on the cusp of going from one age group to another. Right now I actually have 4 toddlers and 2 infants (one is my son), but by the end of this month I am losing a toddler that I am not replacing, and by the end of August my daughter goes into the preschool age group. So I will have 1 preschooler, 2 infants, and 2 toddlers.

itlw8 07-25-2012 09:57 AM

Missouri
I am dual licensed I can either have 10 with 2 under 2 or 6 with 3 under 2

1st degree relatives do not count. My grandson is a handful so I count him as 2 even though I do not even count him LOL The state wants to get rid of the rule you do not have to count relatives.

EntropyControlSpecialist 07-25-2012 12:14 PM

I am licensed and have 12.

:Sunny:

Nickel 07-25-2012 07:49 PM

I'm in texas. Legally listed (unlicensed) is three unrelated.

Registered is up to 6
Licensed is up to 12 including your own. BUT it also depends on number of infants for reg and lic. I think the max is 4 infants and no others, but I don't remember 100%. For now I'm just listed so I can take up to 3 unrelated children.

And for us it's per household. So even if a licensed how had three assistants they could still only watch 12 kids, but then they could take more infants. I hope that made sense!!!

CountryMommy 07-25-2012 08:22 PM

I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada and I can have up to 8 children, including my own, whether I am licensed or not. The age restrictions (3 under 3, 2 under 2, etc) also apply whether or not you are licensed. However, most providers in the area that are private do not follow the age restrictions.

Loveyoustinkyface 08-23-2012 05:11 PM

Florida & License vs. Non-licensed

Hello, I live in Florida. As I see it according to the Florida Statutes, you do not need to be licensed for a family home daycare *if* you "provide childcare on a regular basis in your residence for at least TWO unrelated families".

This is on page 7, paragraph (8) "“Family day care home” means an occupied residence in which child care is regularly provided for children from at least two unrelated families and which receives a payment, fee, or grant for any of the children receiving care, whether or not operated for profit."

If you want to see the FL Statutes, click here. http://ccrain.fl-dcf.org/documents/1...meddest=402.26

Am I reading this FL Statute correctly?? thanks

Countrygal 08-24-2012 05:09 AM

I'm no expert at this - just learning myself. I"ve only been in business a year, so still get all the legal gobble-de-gook confused sometimes.

However, I read it just the opposite of you. Any family day care with 2 or more families must BE licensed. If you only care for one family, you do not have to be licensed.

For one thing, where you took this out of is the "definitions" section. So they are saying that any home with 2 or more paying families is a "family daycare home" Thus, the statutes will apply if you have more than 1 family you care for with pay.

There is another regulation - (2) “Child care facility” includes any child care center or child care
arrangement which provides child care for more than five children unrelated to the
operator and which receives a payment, fee, or grant for any of the children receiving
care, wherever operated, and whether or not operated for profit. The following are not
included:
Which appears to also limit the number of children to 5. So...... I read it to say 5 children from one family is the most you could care for. There's more under "before and after school care" that might apply, I didn't read that far.

Loveyoustinkyface 08-24-2012 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Countrygal:
I'm no expert at this - just learning myself. I"ve only been in business a year, so still get all the legal gobble-de-gook confused sometimes.

However, I read it just the opposite of you. Any family day care with 2 or more families must BE licensed. If you only care for one family, you do not have to be licensed.

For one thing, where you took this out of is the "definitions" section. So they are saying that any home with 2 or more paying families is a "family daycare home" Thus, the statutes will apply if you have more than 1 family you care for with pay.

There is another regulation - (2) “Child care facility” includes any child care center or child care
arrangement which provides child care for more than five children unrelated to the
operator and which receives a payment, fee, or grant for any of the children receiving
care, wherever operated, and whether or not operated for profit. The following are not
included:
Which appears to also limit the number of children to 5. So...... I read it to say 5 children from one family is the most you could care for. There's more under "before and after school care" that might apply, I didn't read that far.

Thank you CountryGal! Maybe my wording was off but yes, I agree with the way you see it too. One family (unless you are caring for two families maybe that are cousins, that's not "unrelated"?) is OK without a license in FL. Believe me, I don't want alot of children to care for, one or two is perfect for me!

I had Code Enforcements here last week and they didn't know anything about that statute's childcare defintion I referred to)! The code enforcement man said that if you are doing ANY childcare in your home you need to have a license and a occupational license. I am only babysitting one child! He's going to report the statute that *I* emailed him and send it to DCF. ugh. Any suggestions?

Unregistered 08-24-2012 11:27 AM

Maine you can have up to 12 licensed for a home daycare depending upon the square footage of your home. Inside that 12 there is a formula of ages that you may have. You would only be able to have 12 if they were all school aged children. Your children count in these numbers. It used to be that they didn't count, but they have changed it so that they do count.

If your not licensed you may watch up to 2 children other then your own and must register as an unlicensed home daycare.

Member but have logged out for privacy

Unregistered 05-28-2013 06:53 PM

Does anyone know for alabama?

AmyKidsCo 05-28-2013 07:23 PM

Is it per person? Its me and my boyfriend so could we have six kids? or is it per house hold?

You can never have more than 8, no matter how many providers there are. But with 2 qualified providers you could have up to 8 under-twos; otherwise you can only have 4 under-twos. Or a variety of under-twos and over-twos - it's complicated. :rolleyes:

Your own children only count until they're 7. (My youngest turns 7 in September - hooray!)

Sunchimes 05-29-2013 04:34 AM

I'm a listed home in Texas. I can have 3 kids unrelated to me. But, I can have up to 12 if 9 of them are related to me.

From the DFPS site:
The total number of children in a listed family home, including those related to the provider, may not exceed 12 at any given time. Children who are related to the provider are her children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, first cousins, siblings, nieces, and nephews.

So, I'm only capable of taking care of 3 if they aren't kin, but throw in family members and I'm suddenly capable of taking care of 12. Makes no sense.

rmc20021 05-29-2013 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by mickey2:
I live in Ontario Canada as well. In the Province of Ontario, home child care providers may provide care for up to 5 children under 10 years of age who are not of common parentage (children who have different parents), in addition to his/her own children at any given time in his/her own home.

I have 5 full time children, as well as my 14 month old grandson and my own 7 year old son.

I truly find that the larger my group size, the easier it is to care for the children.

I agree that the larger the group the easier it really is...they entertain each other easier and if someone is having a difficult time with one child, they can always find another playmate.

I'm licensed for 6 in MI right now, but thinking about increasing to 12 soon. Not sure if it would be worth the extra effort as far as having assistants and such, but we'll see.

CedarCreek 05-29-2013 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I'm a listed home in Texas. I can have 3 kids unrelated to me. But, I can have up to 12 if 9 of them are related to me.

From the DFPS site:
The total number of children in a listed family home, including those related to the provider, may not exceed 12 at any given time. Children who are related to the provider are her children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, first cousins, siblings, nieces, and nephews.

So, I'm only capable of taking care of 3 if they aren't kin, but throw in family members and I'm suddenly capable of taking care of 12. Makes no sense.

That's so weird! I was told that you can only have 3 including relatives. I find it odd that different reps tell you different things. They don't even know their own rules!

kevlynn 05-29-2013 07:18 AM

Im in Nassau County Ny We are allowed to have 2 that are not related to you and 6 that are in addition to the 2...It's called legally Exempt and you are still entitled to the food program and everything while unlicensed...

AuntieEm 05-29-2013 09:20 AM

Hi I am new :)

I have a licensed daycare in California and I can have eight kids but no more 6 that are not school aged and of the six littles only two can be under two. Or I can have four under two in my home at one time.

daycare123 05-29-2013 09:58 AM

anyone know in nd how old your children have to be to not count in your numbers?

Kelly 05-29-2013 10:01 AM

In Illinois we can have 3 unrelated kids. I have 3 but usually only have 1 or 2 at a time. I think you can have more as long as you only have 3 at a time. I don't know how your own kids count toward that--mine are adults & teens so they don't count. This summer I am also watching one of my daughter's classmates but she is 18 and doesn't count either (she is developmentally disabled and can't stay home alone.) Still haven't decided if I want to get licensed or not--I'm leaning toward not.

LoraJenkins 05-29-2013 10:17 AM

In North Carolina we are allowed 2 unrelated children if unlicensed. Up to 8 if licensed (5 preschoolers and 3 SA).

Unregistered 05-29-2013 10:37 AM

WA and MT

WA - you have to be licensed to care ANY children besides your own unless directly blood related (or a legally adopted child of a blood relative) in your home.

Licensed: Your own kids count in your numbers until they are 13 years old too. I have three kids of my own (ages 7,5,NB) so I will only have 3 daycare spaces for the next 6 years at least! I could have drop-in kids when they are at school but anytime they are on school breaks or home sick they count against my numbers so it is impossible to fill those spaces on a regular basis. My kids even count if they are home with their dad in an unlicensed part of the home; anytime they are on the premises.

Licensed, without an assistant, you can have 6 kids with only two under age 2 (or 3 under age 2 if one is over 18 months and walking independently). This is my current license.

If you choose to care for only over age 18 months your number goes up, to 8 i think with only 2 under 2 and they must be walking independently, and only 4 of the 8 can be under age 3.

If you choose to care for only age 3 and up you can have 10.

If you do preschool for only ages 3 and up, and they are with you less than 4 hrs a day then you do not need a license.

MT - I was licensed in MT before moving to WA and there you can care for 2 unrelated children in your home without a license.

Licensed, you can have 6, with only 3 under age 2. Your own kids count until they are 6 years old.

If you do infants only (under 2) you can have 4.

I know you can have more if they are older but i don't remember the exact numbers (i think it is 10 for 2 and up).

Laurel 05-29-2013 11:01 AM

I'm in Florida but not all counties have the same rules. In mine, you can only watch 1 child (or 2 if they are siblings) without a license. Any more than that require a license. I'm not sure how your own children count but if you are licensed they count in your numbers until they are 12 (I think, not sure how old).

Laurel

Sunchimes 05-29-2013 11:35 AM

@CedarCreek, here is where I found the info.

http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/Search/default.asp?q=Listed then scroll down to "Guidelines for Listed family homes"
----------------------------
B. The Number of Children in Care
The provider may care for up to a total of three children who are not related to her. If the provider cares for more than three unrelated children, she must register her family home or apply for a licensed child-care home permit. Licensing may investigate reports of more than three unrelated children in care.

--------------------------

Straight from the DFPS website

MotherNature 05-29-2013 11:47 AM

Are the stats on this site's links outdated/ They say IN can have 6, not including your own. Right now, including my own, I have 5, but will be starting a newbie in Jan.

BABYLUVER123 05-29-2013 11:49 AM

Co

In CO and the rules are:

Unlicensed: 1 Family unrelated, regardless of # of children and they should not be providing FT care (Like dc providers do)

Licensed: Up to 6 unrelated children FT with 2 extras Before and After School Care, no more than 2 under 2 unless you have a specialist license, then you can have 3 under 2.

In CO you cannot be dual licensed for child care and foster care, either. It's one or the other.

Adopted/biological kids do count toward your #'s.