View Single Post
Countrygal 04:49 AM 02-03-2012
Actually, I have one boy who often sleeps three hours. His parents know this and agree that he takes a long nap. They are used to it. If you wake him up he is a BEAR!!! A lot depends upon what we've done that day - how long we've played outside, whether we've had other physical activities, like dancing, etc. If we eat a late lunch he is literally running for his blankets and cot as soon as it is over!

My own gs was like this. He didn't give up his nap until way after age 4, and honestly, some days he still needs one at 5yo, depending upon the day.

But then, I don't have half a dozen others running around, or I'm sure he wouldn't sleep that long.

And I do put on soft music and turn down the lights in the room they are having their quiet time in. For other children they must relax for 1 hour. I have an open concept house, so the lights remain on in other areas, so it is not "black like night". I am of the same opinion as others here that children NEED this down time, that it is actually cruel NOT to give them a break from all of the sensory load.