View Single Post
Blackcat31 09:18 AM 07-27-2011
This is a sad story and I will only add that in many states 12 is completely old enough to have a say in where she lives but not necessarily be the one to decide.

My only other advice is that other than offering the emotional support you are to the child....stay out of it.

I have BTDT and let me tell you, it was the most stressful, heartbreaking, horrible, nerve racking situation I have ever been in. Long story short: I had to put a restraining order on a parent, I lost three daycare children from the family and I was thisclose to having a serious nervous breakdown. I will never ever again allow myself to be in the middle of anyone else's drama. I will never allow myself to be that vulnerable again.

You cannot save everyones children. You only know what you have observed and have been told. I guarantee you there are many more complicated layers to this story that you are not aware of. That was the hardest lesson I have ever learned while being in this field.

There are 3 sides to every story...theirs, yours and the truth.

I do not mean any of this harshy but you sound exactly like I was feeling at the start of my situation. I know it is hard not to act but in all honesty it isn't your place. Be the emotional support if necessary but please do not get involved. You will more than likely regret it if you do. The only exception would be if you suspect physical or emotional abuse but even then, I would only report it to the necessary authorities and leave it at that.

Good luck and I am glad this girl has someone she can talk to.