View Single Post
Meeko 06:07 AM 08-16-2011
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
Well...we had a hostage situation going on across the street all day. Officers with guns running around...not fun.

We are located in a relatively unsafe area on an extremely busy street...literally crazies from off the street would be able to walk right in if we did not keep the door locked.

After today, we are purchasing an intercom system so we can see who's at the door without opening or even going to it.

Everybody in the neighborhood knows we are a bunch of women with a whole lot of little children to keep safe...prime targets for robbery, a place to barricade up in, etc...I would not feel safe at my job if the doors were unlocked for anyone to enter freely.
We had a situation here many years back. We heard someone trying to get into our house one evening...shaking the door handle and yelling. We looked through the window and a guy was running down our driveway and ran into a house just down the street. A few minutes later, the police arrived and brought the guy out in handcuffs. Evidently, he thought his girlfriend was hiding in the neighborhood and he was crazy with rage/drugs. The house he entered had an unlocked door and he ran in and started throwing things around and yelling and got in a fist fight with the owner after hitting his wife. It could have been so much worse.

He had tried OUR door first! We were so close to a nasty encounter with a maniac. I was so glad we have a habit of keeping our doors locked at all times.

You are so right about being vunerable when alone and tending children. Our training instructor told us they have heard about day care providers being targeted and stalked because it's known they are alone in the house with children, which makes them easy targets. Scary thought.

I think it's weird how different states have different rules. We are advised TO lock our doors, were as other states don't allow it.