View Single Post
Countrygal 12:07 PM 03-27-2012
I go to an online site with a very loose curriculum in the area I'm interested in - let's say we have a neighbor with horses and the kids like them, so we want to learn more about them and incorporate them into our curriculum.

I look online for a preschool horse unit. Something like this one: http://www.everythingpreschool.com/t...rses/index.htm I then take the basics of that unit and expand it to fit what I want to do with it. I usually add coloring pages, information online with lots of pictures or online stories that we watch together, books to read, maybe we'd look at a couple of famous race horses, or the breeds or colors of horses. Maybe even the basic parts of a horse. And definitely safety around horses - how do we act. I do poems, lots of ditties with movement, songs, whatever I find. And of course, I try to set up a field trip to that neighbor's to see the horses and where/how they live, what they eat, etc!!!

I don't even lay it out by day. I just make a list of everything, and bookmark what's online. Then each morning I set up what I hope we cover that day. If we have more time - let's say it's raining - I do a couple more or have the kids pretend they're horses, etc. If we do less, it's just less I have to plan for the coming day. We're done when we're done. I don't confine myself to a weekly theme. Some themes only want 3 days and others SCREAM to go for two weeks!!!