View Single Post
saved4always 08:27 PM 01-12-2012
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
also, most of our forefathers and presidents you mentioned were indeed homeschooled because that was a way of life back then - some of the presidents you mentioned had very little education at all.

does that mean they weren't great people or good at what they did? absolutely not. the fact of the matter is, times have changed. our society values education. you couldn't find a president, a lawyer, or a teacher today that wasn't required to have a college education. back then, teachers were often teenagers. again, times have changed.

i think childcare workers are equally as important as the above mentioned - so why are the standards lower? that's my point.
If childcare workers were paid as much as degreed teachers, parents could not afford childcare. Most parents are sending their children to daycare because they cannot leave them alone at home when they go to work. They do not want to pay what it would cost if childcare workers were paid more than minumum wage. What is the incentive for childcare workers to get a college degree along with student loans, etc., just to graduate and make $7 or $8 an hour at a childcare center? I have been on both sides now. When I was working full time, we could only afford to pay so much for daycare before it was too expensive to be worth working. Now I provide childcare in my home and many parents, in my experience, do not want to pay top dollar for care. They do want one on one exceptional care for their $2 to $3 an hour though.