Thread: Storage Cubes
View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 07:35 AM 11-14-2012
Originally Posted by itlw8:
problem is you really need to have toys for them to SEE on the shelves to make a choice but ALL choices do not need to be seen. I have some of those cavans totes that have a strong wire frame and they hold up great. the soft ones do not.

my favorite containers and the IKEA TROFAST storage totes.. plastic but mine are 10 years old and none have broken.
I agree, the kids should be able to see the toys in order to be able to make a choice. Kids are very visual and need to be able to see their choices. If you are really set on using the canvas totes for toys can I suggest taking photos of what will be in the bin, laminating the photos and then attaching them to the front of the totes. This way they can see the photo of the item on the tote so they immediately know what is in it.

I personally don't have too many choices out for the kids and I use Sterilite clear bins. Right now I have four 66 qt bins (mega blocks, large wooden blocks, wooden train set, lincoln logs), four 27 qt bins (fish builders, large plastic screws and nuts, Duplos and wooden city accessories like trees, cars, buildings and road signs) three 15 qt bins (plastic animals, small metal cars, and big chunky cars) and I have two square semi-transparent bins from IKEA with the infant toys. Even though my bins are transparent I still take photos of what goes inside to make it easier for the kids to sort the toys during clean up. That way even the 1 year olds know where the toys go.