Thread: Croup
View Single Post
Unregistered 06:21 AM 07-10-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
In some respects you are right... Except one very important thing... Although some kids are more predisposed to croup than others, the virus that typically causes croup is NOT usually the common cold.

Generally croup is caused by parainfluenza, RSV, and sometimes adenovirus. It's not generally just from a common cold. The common cold is generally from rhinovirus or corona virus. Two very different viruses than RSV and parainfluenza. RSV and parainfluenza are also generally much more harsh than the viruses that cause the common cold. And for kids with underlying allergies or reactive airway problems, the two most common croup viruses can be deadly.

most kids who have RSV or parainfluenza generally only show signs of a common cold and don't get the swelling of the airway that signifies croup.

My daughter had croup tons of times, usually to the point of retractions and blue lips. Because she has asthma, every bout of croup was serious and potentially deadly.

However, the important part of my rambling is that infectious-wise, the viruses that cause croup and the common cold should be treated exactly the same. They are contagious as long as there is a fever. The danger is generally over with croup when the fever and barking itself is gone. The cough may linger for a while with both and shouldn't itself be a reason for exclusion any more than the common cold should be.

Both generally start with a clear runny nose and progress from there.

Important though, most true croup symptoms, especially in children with breathing problems historically, is that sometimes the airway swelling needs treated with steroids, breathing treatments, and even antibiotics if bacterial croup is suspected.
Yes, this is why I have the contagious rule that if a child is contagious they can not return until they are cleared by a doc. My son has asthma and allergies and was in ER last week with croup because of respiratory distress. This is why I was concerned about the sibling coming because the child's sibling has not had it and they seem to share everything each other gets. I allowed the sibling to come today and the child is now coughing after being told that the child was 100% fine. So, looks like my family has been exposed again! I shouldn't have ever gone against my contact.