View Single Post
Blackcat31 08:11 AM 10-16-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Babies in the NICU are given melatonin regularly. Also, dr recommend it for small children all the time. It's the least dangerous med out there.
It may be considered safe in most aspects but I wouldn't go that far as to say it's the least dangerous.

My DS suffered from insomnia and other sleep issues and my pediatrician would NOT recommend melatonin stating NO long term studies have been done and unless ALL other things fail. We found a solution with regular routine, soothing sounds and diet adjustments.

From Livestrong.com

According to the National Institutes of Health, melatonin appears to be an effective treatment for sleep disturbances in children with developmental and neurobehavioral disorders, such as autism, anxiety disorder, mental retardation, Asperger's syndrome and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Melatonin can help these children fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. Some parents also use melatonin as a treatment for insomnia in children with normal development, but no studies have evaluated this use.

Safety Considerations

The University of Maryland Medical Center states that melatonin can be a safe supplement for children when it used in low doses, under the guidance of a qualified practitioner. However, the NIH considers the product to be inappropriate for use in most toddlers. The benefits associated with melatonin are only worth the risks when a toddler's sleep disturbances are significantly disruptive to his health or development, and when drug-free treatment options have failed.

Possible Risks:

Melatonin can trigger several possible side effects in toddlers. The UMMC states that high doses, exceeding 1 to 5 milligrams, can cause seizures in children under 15 years of age. According to the NIH, melatonin can alter the production of reproductive hormones, particularly in adolescents. No large-scale, well-designed studies have investigated the effects of melatonin supplements on a toddler's developing endocrine system. The NIH reports a link between melatonin supplements and uncomfortable side effects such as headache, stomach cramps and mood disturbances.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/27...#ixzz2htjQXrTy