View Single Post
jamiem 12:31 PM 04-10-2013
I need advice on how to handle a 20 month old bully. I have been running my in home daycare for about 6 months so I am still really new to this. I started with a 2 month old, my own 8 month old, and a 14 month old. Since they were all so young I never had to worry about discipline apart from telling them no if they were being unsafe or just redirecting them to a new activity. Now that the oldest is 20 months she is turning into a bully. She takes toys away from my one year old, hits, and pushes him down. I don't know what to do or how to handle this behavior. I have tried telling her no pushing very sternly and offering her other toys, i have tried nicely explaining to her that she needs to be nice and cannot push. So far that is not working. How do you discipline such a young child/teach her not to push and hit? If you do a time out-how does that work? I'm not sure where I would put her, I know she would not just sit on a chair, I don't want to put her in her booster chair or pack n play because I don't want negative associations with either of those. Her mom is aware of the behavior and has seen it first hand but I dont think she knows what to do either, she is a single mom and this is her only child so she is new to this too. She says she is learning the behavior from an older cousin. Help!