View Single Post
mom2many 02:33 PM 09-15-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My son's daycare provider purposely makes the room really dark and puts the children in play yards with pillows and blankets so they think it's night time and will sleep for 3-4 hours. All parents at the daycare have complained about their children not sleeping at night, but she does this so she can do whatever she wants to do. Or she often sleeps too while the children are naping (I would love to be able to take a nap at my desk in the middle of my day!! ...). When I ask her about this she tells me that she won't wake a sleeping child because they get cranky, but isn't this extreme? My son doesn't go to bed until almost 10 everynight and then it's a fight to wake him up in the morning.

All the providers in this forum do is complain, but they all choose to be day care providers!! Everyone has a personal choice on what they chose to do especially when they have their own business. I choose to work in an office environment...I have paper work and stuff that needs to be done and would love a chance to just do it and catch up on stuff...but guess what? all my "main work" comes first. If I don't like it...I could find a new profession. Why do providers act like they're so different? I have to stay after 5 alot of the time or work at home to do stuff that I couldn't get done during the day. I don't want to nor do I like doing it...but I have to do my job at any cost. Appearently day care providers are immune to that and should have the children sleep for hours on end so that they have their precious time to get their stuff done?

I guess I dont understand why the toys/rooms can't be disinfected right after the children leave? How is this any different from a parent who leaves work to pick up their child, but has to turn their lap top on once they walk in the door to finish up something that they needed done that day? (which I have to do daily) We all have a tough job to do...why can't that just be the way it is? Instead of what I see in this forum that parents do nothing all day, don't care about their children and just drop them off at daycare to be a burden on all you providers so you can complain about what you choose to do?
Sorry you feel this way...believe me we are all not horrible people! I've been in this profession a very long time and absolutely LOVE what I do! Some days aren't easy and yet no job is ever without its challenges from time to time!

I've never had a child sleep 3-4 hours! Most sleep anywhere from 1-2 hours depending on their age. Parents have always wanted their children to nap, so they aren't exhausted and falling apart when they get picked up and I try to use this time to get paperwork done, clean toys and tidy up the kitchen from lunch.

I have always had a great working relationship with my parents and totally get that it's not easy for them. I will even go out of my way to help them. For instance, I have a dcm who is a teacher and has a staff meeting till 5 pm every Tuesday. I offered to feed her 2 S/A children an additional snack that is more like a dinner at 4 pm, to make it easier, so she is not so stressed trying to get them fed and ready for their football and cheer practices that start at 5:30!

I would recommend finding a new provider, if you are unhappy with the amount of time your child is sleeping...especially if the provider is sleeping herself! I would never be okay with my own child not going to sleep till 10 pm.