View Single Post
jojosmommy 10:27 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by e.j.:
If there is an older sib with special needs, I can definitely understand where you both might be concerned. Has she considered talking to someone from EI and maybe asking if they could come out to observe the child? I know she spoke with her child's pediatrician already but from my own experience, pediatricians don't always catch problems or understand why mom is as concerned as she is. They see the child for a relatively short period of time in an office setting that is different from where the child spends his/her usual time so the behavior they see in the office isn't necessarily typical of the child. I liked and trusted my own pedi. He had an excellent reputation and specialized in special needs kids but he still didn't pick up my son's autism. I really had to push the issue with him to take my concerns about it seriously.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I have heard this from too many parents who eventually end up getting help elsewhere b/c their Dr. didn't take their concerns seriously. I told mom she would have to be very up front with their dr about the concerns and even then she might not get much from him. I will tell her to go elsewhere if she doesn't get what she thinks is apprpriate from her MD.