View Single Post
cheerfuldom 08:12 AM 07-09-2011
Originally Posted by laurasophia:
I wish I'd never stumbled on this forum this a.m. I am sick to my stomach reading all the posts about the MONEY MONEY MONEY!!!

I am now a grandma, and I used daycare as a mother of 4 children, but I never realized what drives providers!! I have been COMPLETELY naive about why people do childcare.

I want you to all know that you have cleared up that naivety for me. I will NEVER allow my grandkids to be cared for in a child care setting EVER again. I am going to refer this forum to every young mother I know starting with my own daughters. Mothers need to read and know the comments on here and just how sooo many providers feel about issues involving their children!!!
I'm not ashamed to say that I do it for the money. Taking care of kids is HARD work. You should know that, you're a mom and grandma. You do it because these kids are family and you love them. But they are not my family and I don't have the same love for them so why else would I take care of someone else's children??!! There are many of us who do genuinely love kids and love our job but that doesn't mean we do it for free. Other people in other jobs might love their job but that doesn't mean that they are doing it for free either. This is the way the world goes round and many people do not have the luxury of free childcare from grandma. If it makes you feel any better, I take care of 6 kids all day every day (50+ hours a week) and get paid slave wages after you deduct supplies, utilities and everything else. So its not like I am a millionaire over here.

Also curious, why DID you think people do childcare?