Thread: Sippy-Cups
View Single Post
e.j. 08:54 PM 07-08-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I see no reason, other than laziness and not wanting to clean up spilled milk, for sippy cups past the age of two.
I use sippy cups - the kind with the leak proof straws - for kids 2yrs and up. I really don't want to have to pick up spilled milk if I can avoid it and I don't consider myself to be lazy. I'm on my own with a group of very active kids and although most are well-behaved at the table, the potential for at least one spill per meal is relatively high. Often, the clean-up after a spill includes a sponge bath and change of clothing for the kid who spilled and possibly for the kid next to him because they sit relatively close together. My dining area has a rug vs. hard surface so clean-up is a little more involved that just a quick wipe-up. Because of certain state mandates, my business hours and my dc family's schedules, I operate on a fairly tight schedule. Most days, I'm running around trying to get things done as it is; I don't need an extra, avoidable chore to worry about. Besides, the closed-lid sippy cups allow even some of my youngest kids to take their turn helping to pass out the cups to each child at the beginning of the meal - a job they all love to do but couldn't do without spilling if it weren't for the sippy cups.

As Sharlan said, "We all do what works for us and our families."