View Single Post
cheerfuldom 07:49 AM 11-12-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
They don't have access ON THEIR DESK at Kinder, but I'll betcha if they raise their hand and tell Teacher they're thirsty, Teacher will see that they get water. Obviously if a kid starts working the teacher, she'll say "wait till recess/potty break/whatever".

Trust me, we don't drink 16 ounces, let alone 100. I realize you were exaggerating lol. But that's one of the reasons I have the water out at all times. They don't drink enough!

I should add that my DC kids are ages 5-10, but I have always had cups ready and available for 2+ (sippy cups until I feel they're ready to move on up). And they cannot move it from where it lives. I put them on the end cap of my kitchen counter. They drink there, and put the cup back in its spot.

I don't know.... I just feel like it's a basic need, ya know? I would never withhold it. I've never had a parent ask me to limit water, but I've had many, many, many ask me to push or encourage it.
I think the big difference is that you generally care for school agers. My group is ALL under 6 with two under 12 months, and a 2 year old that is physically delayed. There is no way I can keep track of multiple cups with toddlers roaming. plus a special needs 4 year old that still cannot use an open cup. It works for your group, it would never work for mine.