View Single Post
My3cents 12:06 PM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I've been thinking more about this water issue, so I looked it up on a couple sites.
http://www.eatright.org/kids/article.aspx?id=6442470651
and
http://www.healthykids.nsw.gov.au/ki...rink-kids.aspx

They suggest 1 liter of water per day for 4 to 8 year olds. That's two of those 16.9 ounce bottled waters you buy at the store.

I would estimate that during the time they are at my house on a no-school day, they probably drink equivalent to one of this size bottled water. (Some days more, some days less.)

They are here anywhere from 8 to 10 hours, and they are at home (awake) about 4 or 5 hours. So I have them DOUBLE the time their parents do, but they only drink HALF of what is recommended for their bodies.

I read on here all the time that certain providers insist on serving only organic foods, only homemade meals, only healthy foods, no sugary snacks, veggies at every lunch, etc., etc. They do this because it's what's healthy for the kids. They do this because many (let's face it -- MOST) of the kids are not fed in a healthy manner at home. They insist on this for the kids' sake. It's what's best FOR THE KIDS. They wouldn't have it any other way.

So what I can't figure out is, if some of you are willing to take the extra time and cost to provide this, even if the parents don't, then I can't reconcile why the next logical step wouldn't be to encourage the water that is also so important for good health and well-being.

Disclaimers:

*Don't yell at me.
*I'm not criticizing in the least.
*I'm just bringing up a topic that strikes my interest at the moment.
*I welcome and respect any thoughts that are different than mine.
*I acknowledge that I currently have ages 5-10, and that most of you have youngers. But I provide all-day-available sippies for youngers too, when I have them.
*No, they don't walk around with water. It stays put, but is always available.
*I acknowledge that the posters above who say that water is only for snack time may or may not be the same as the organic/homemade/healthy-only lunch people, but I brought that up because it's what I read on here a lot, and I couldn't reconcile that with not encouraging water.
*This is just a talking point. I don't claim it to be THE perfect answer by any means.
*Don't yell at me.
*I acknowledge that I said 'don't yell at me' twice.
LOL who is yelling at you on the playground?

I think big name water bottling companies over push the need for water. Too much of anything is not good for a person. There is a push for drinking water and it makes me wonder why.......$ is the bottom line answer for this.

I personally listen to my own body and go from there.

Thanks for posting a different view it has been good reading even if I don't agree with you 100%- It's all good~