View Single Post
nannyde 09:46 AM 03-04-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I support the OP. She was not rude in her original post but almost all others were rude. Random drug testing is the norm for all CDL holder's (commercial driver's licenses) nation wide - and this is done for the public's safety. Most large corporations require the test upon hire for all employees. Many perform the tests randomly otherwise for employees depending on company policy.

CDL holders also get their driving records sent to their employer every time they get a traffic violation. I can say that I've worked with an employee who failed the test that had a CDL - they were required to attend mandatory in patient treatment - and we were all scared about the people that could have been killed by that employee under the influence. Random testing isn't bad - it's simply a checking measure. It would realistically work in the center based environment but I can't begin to fathom how it would work in the home based environment because right now, companies are in charge of the random testing themselves. Testing centers are not open 24 hours a day. And I can't imagine states are going to pay for a roaming nurse to go door to door to get these samples. With all the new laws being passed on children's safety, I can realistically see states moving for some type of testing in the future in order to better protect children.

I'm all for testing but working out the logistics of testing in home would be pretty difficult. I can tell you that my child was in a center where I discovered one of the teachers had a long legal record with DUIs and confirmed the probs on the facebook page. Any responsible parent is going to search public records online to find out backgrounds on all caregivers. I pulled my kid out of there. As a child of an alcoholic, I know first hand how hangovers and alcohol abuse affect child rearing and child safety. AND OUR CHILDREN'S SAFETY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN YOUR PRIVACY!
What doesn't make sense to me though is you are interested in testing providers and they aren't the biggest risk to the children. The parents are the biggest risk.

I ask this honestly.... why start with providers when all the statistics show that children are markedly more at risk with parents then they are with child care providers. The kids safety is MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE PARENTS PRIVACY?