View Single Post
littlemissmuffet 05:49 PM 11-12-2012
Originally Posted by Mommy2One:
Wow! Lucky for you and lucky for your parents! I'm jealous!

I work full time (salary) in a small family owned professional office. I get 10 vacation days/year, up to 5 sick days (although the general culture is the fewer the better and there are a couple people that pride themselves on only using 0-1/year) and 6 holidays.

If I want the Friday after Thanksgiving off I have to use a vacation day. It's the same way with the Monday before Christmas and the Monday before New Years this year. I think I'll be working New Years Eve (so I'll work Monday, have Tuesday off then work Wed-Fri) because I'm running out of vacation time and my provider isn't available January 11 - at least it will be quiet since most people will probably turn it into a 4 day weekend.
I am VERY grateful for my time off. But, I also feel entitled to it because my parents get so much time off. The majority of my parents have EDOs (earned days off) which means they have every second or every Friday (or Monday off)! The majority of my parents have 3-4 weeks paid vacation per year - which means that in a two parent home, they have a total of 6-8 weeks off paid if needed. Many of the corporations here also allow for one paid sick day per month (12 per year)! And all of my parents have family in town to help cover sick/emergency days, vacation days, etc as well. I don't ever feel guilty for a second about taking my time off - I earned it, and I know I'm not putting anyone out!!