View Single Post
MyAngels 07:15 PM 10-12-2013
Originally Posted by BABYLUVER:
This is a very tragic situation. But the comments in the articles were ridiculous! Did the provider do wrong? IDK I'm not an expert in laws in that state. But did those wrongdoings have any affect on THIS situation? Not that I can see.

Now the things that didn't help her case but did not CAUSE the infant's death:
1. Being over ratio---I know people who have larger centers with just 2 caregivers and even some parents with more kids. No problems simply due to #'s
2. The dose of acetaminophen for the age of child (let's assume normal weight for age) was not wrong from what I can see
3. Misplacing an info card does not cause the death of a child. I knew every one of my children without looking at a card. I would KNOW if they were allergic to something (unless they were not previously exposed, but that's no different than any other situation) and simply not give it to them. The provider I have for my kids now knows my daughter is allergic to milk, my son allergic to nuts (severely), my other son has Hirschprung's syndrome and sensory disorders, another child has to have her tr-ache tube cleaned and she has to be fed, another child has frequent infections, and her own has brittle bone syndrome, and she still takes on an infant who she's had since age 6 weeks and several other kids. I've seen her with 11 at once. She KNOWS every kid because she takes special needs kids and does not need to look at a card to know them. She's just THAT good at taking proper precautions.
4. The fact that no one checked on baby for 1 hour. When I went to sleep at night, I sure did not get up to check on my children. The thing is? If I was already getting up, Id check. If I thought I had a feeling they needed checked, I checked. There were many times that was over an hour. With daycare, I did it in my house and we were all in one room so I was just there anyway. However, keep in mind, death comes fast and quick so she could have checked 5 minutes before and the child could have seemed fine, only to pass later and nothing anyone could do about it. Life isn't promised to ANYONE, and while it's sad, it's not a cause of death. Should she have checked? Sure. I would have if it were my daycare kids.

While each of the things noted taken on their own may not seem like a big deal, taken together they show a pattern of disregard for the rules that are put in place to protect children in daycare situations.

The best we can do as daycare providers is to follow all of the rules to the best of our ability so that if the unthinkable happens to a child in our care we can at least have the peace of mind of knowing that we made that effort.