View Single Post
misol 07:08 AM 05-11-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
Okay, so my policy says parents will be called if a child throws up & it also says that you must be free from illness for 24 hours before you may return. I just called a parent b/c the child puked. Seems "okay" now but he could throw up again & I don't want to deal with it. Parent was not thrilled but is coming to pick up. What should I say about returning. It happened about 9:20 am. They typically drop off around 7:30 am which wouldn't quite be 24 hrs. But I do want to make sure the child is not still sick when he returns. Do you think it would be okay to say he can not come until 9:30 tomorrow if he is well at home? I just don't want to tick the mom off but still I don't want my own kids getting sick.
I remember in another illness thread there was some discussion about the 24-hour return poilicy for sickness. Someone (can't remember who) had a GREAT suggestion. Instead of having a 24 hour policy just have your policy state that the child cannot return to care the next day. This ensures that they will be out at least the entire next day. I changed my policy immediately after I read that!

I make my evaluations on a case by case basis but I don't necessarily call the parent if a child throws up one time but has no other symptoms. I have more than one child in care with a "sensitive stomach" and most of my throw up incidents have been related to foods that the child didn't like or want. However, if something is going around, or if they look tired or lethargic, or are sneezing, coughing, etc. then yes, I am calling parent immediately.