View Single Post
Josiegirl 02:15 PM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by pmat:
i am responsible parent. when my little one was sick i make sure she stays home..but i am annoyed when daycare's providing food and the child vomits one time and the parents get a call saying pick and not coming back for 24 hrs. The child had no other sympotm, no fever, speaking, walking and running and not vomited at home. Alot of the day cares are nasty and rip offs. They don't even feed the child after sometime to see if the child vomits a second time and when the child gets home started screaming for food and eats with out any issues. I am 100% agreeing if the child is sick send home and stay away for 24 to 48 hrs or as long as gets a clearance from the pediatrician. but children will throw up once in a while because of food or over feeding etc. make good judgments. Parents are paying you a lot of money not to sit at home. they need to work to pay the day care.
I agree, kids do sometimes throw up as a one time deal BUT that doesn't always mean they're healthy otherwise. Yeh, could be a fluke and they're fine. Or it could mean that's all they're going to throw up while the virus is going through their body. Or it could mean they'll be right at it again in an hour or 2 or as soon as they put anything whatsoever in their mouth. I think it's impossible to tell which case a child vomiting will turn into. I remember sending a child home after they had covered my whole kitchen with a mess. He acted fine and was bouncing off the couch to go greet dcm at the door. I felt stupid then for calling mom. Guess what, dcm called the next a.m., dck won't be in because he threw up all night long. Another time dcg, all of a sudden, looked horrible, lethargic, wouldn't touch lunch, stood up from the table, vomited all over the kitchen(what is it about my kitchen??). This little girl acted sooo sick, so dcm came and picked her up. She went home and took a nap, woke up and was fine the rest of the day/night.
What I'm saying with probably way too many words is you can never tell how it's going to go. One of those situations where you're damned if you do, damned if you don't. And as has already been said, there are more than just that 1 child in our care to think about. Dck#2 goes home and tells parents little Frankie threw up at dc today(and believe me, they tell all!) but I played with him later. Think they'll be pleased???
And the comment about paying good money, must be you live in a different area of the nation because in my part of the world, daycare provides a (just barely)living wage. As long as your enrollment stays near full. And out of that 'living wage' comes extra heating expenses, extra electricity, water/sewage, extra trash bills, arts and crafts supplies, toys and books because kids are rough on materials. They're rough on homes and furniture too so there is usually more repairs involved. Don't forget the potty chairs, booster seats, blankets/pillows/sheets, pack 'n' plays, the paint because we're not up to the state's standards, classes and trainings we need to take to keep our licensors happy, extra laundry we do, bibs, extra cleanings supplies, and paper goods, expenses for computer/internet, ink and paper. I'm sure I could add 100 more things if I wanted to take the time. So all that 'good money' we get paid is NOT clear profit. And let's not forget most of us here cannot work under 50 hours because parents need more hours. So at the minimum we're working 50 hours a week, add on time for clean up and prep work, paperwork, interviews, trainings. Oh and if we throw dcks parties there's that cost too, along with gifts we may buy for your child/ren. The night before any party at my dc, I spend at least a couple hours decorating, baking cupcakes or whatever.

So yeh, if YOUR child throws up even once, your child will be sent home. On the off chance he's really not sick, great. But if he is, then hopefully I've saved all the others (or at least some) from getting the same thing and passing it all through their families too.

JMI