View Single Post
Willow 12:15 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I had never heard of the Benedryl thing for dogs either until I googled Bendryl and immunizations....that's all the popped up, one dog forum after another about giving it to dogs..

I can't say I'd be willing to give it my dog or cat.

I don't dispense meds here in care but I will allow a parent to give their child something for pain, (for teething etc) PROVIDED they let me know before dropping off and they fill out a form stating why they gave it, when they gave it and who dispensed it.

Had a DCM yesterday bring her (newly turned) 3 yr old in and ask for the med log. I asked why and she said she gave her Benedryl because she seemed a little stuff and had a slight cough.

I told her Benedryl is NOT for kids under 6. Mom says "Well, I know that. That's why I only gave "M" half a dose."

Worst part is DCM is in nursing school for her RN.... she should KNOW better than to simply assume cutting a dose in half is appropriate.

I sent DCM and DCK home. I am NOT willing to care for a child given a dose of anything NOTfor them.

DCM tried to tell me Dr said it was ok. When I asked when and to bring proof,...DCM says "Well.... a while ago my nephew's Dr said to do that and he is the same age."

I was NOT a happy camper and told DCM I was going to document this conversation and
that in the future if I became aware of this, I would report her.
Holy crap!!!!!!!

See now a situation like that i could totally see a provider getting nailed with if something happened to the child......just yikes!!!