View Single Post
Meeko 12:05 PM 05-16-2011
I've been on both sides of the fence with this one.

As a day care provider I have had arriving kids start to throw fits in the mornings because it gets them lots of attention from Mom. You would swear their arms were being chewed off by the noise they made. Needless to say, the parents are concerned that "something is not right". The child then LOVES that so much drama is being made and that they have so much control over the situation and continues to throw a fit until parents are tired of it.

However....as a parent.....I have also been glad that I listened to my child. I have been lucky enough that my kids have always had either me or their dad home with them. When my son was about 3 years old, and before I started doing day care...I worked at a drug store. My husband was active duty military. Our schedules usually allowed for us to always have someone home with the kids. For one week....we couldn't get scheduled and put our son in the day care center on the base where we where stationed. Our outgoing, happy son threw a FIT the second day we took him there. I didn't understand it at all. He was always happy to go to nursery at church etc....no separation anxiety at all. It turns out that the teacher there got mad with him at nap time. We have a no shoes policy in our home for everyone. So our son took off his shoes at nap time and put them under his cot. She told him to put them back on and he said "Mommy says no shoes". The woman then spanked him with his own shoes. He was terrified of her.

We spoke to the director...the teacher admitted it and was fired.

I am glad I didn't just assume all was fine.

My advise is to TALK to your provider and be open to her input. It may be nothing. It may be a lot. Is he coming home happy? My experience is that if they go HOME happy...chances are you have nothing to worry about.