View Single Post
pollyo 07:47 PM 03-03-2012
I started home daycare last fall... at the time I didn't understand the importance of charging a weekly rate, whether the child comes or not. January and February have killed me financially because of no-shows! Some have been because of illness which is to be expected but others have been dad takes day off from work, grandma is babysitting, mom's traveling so family is watching child. I'd really like to switch over to a weekly rate which is paid regardless of whether the child comes or not, which is to be paid the Friday before the week starts (that way if they are a no show Monday I'm not waiting for a check).

I'm thinking since I am having some schedule changes this summer with a lot of the kids, I will give notice this this month but won't institue it until the summer. I know at least one family will have a problem with it but it's a teacher's child so they can choose to leave if they want and find something new for the fall. I'm not sure what the best way to bring this up would be- in person or email?

My other question is whether I should keep the same daily rate or lessen it some assuming that they will miss at least one day a month if not more. For instance, 2 of my full time kids come 4 days/week and I charge $40/day ($160/week). I was thinking of charging $150 for 4 days which may soften the blow some and might be more fair (my rates are on the high end for my area). I realize most daycares charge a flat rate for the week, but I actually really like having 4 days because it gives me a break and changes the dynamic from day to day. I might have someone starting this summer 5 days and I would charge them $175.

I sure am learning as I go. One of my full time dkg hasn't been here for 3 weeks! Her mom travelled for work, then dad had February vacation and grandparents took the third week. It's tough to count on that money and not have it coming in! Definitely time for a change!