View Single Post
Unregistered 02:10 PM 08-04-2009
One issue that we have been having with the new daycare just deals with a worker there. I am happy with the daycare, and I feel that my son is learning a lot from there. But, I've observed, as well as my husband and my other family members that pick my son up or drop him off that one worker is consistently rude, stand-offish and not nice with the children. She has 2 children of her own at the daycare too, and is very hateful with them. The other workers have up to 5 or more children around them, and she will be sitting in a chair by herself not doing anything to help the other workers. My son is spoiled, and I know that. They do too. He is the child that you see that clings to the legs of the workers if they won't pick him up. This was fine until the first few weeks he kept coming home with busted lips because he would grab her leg and she would shrug him off, causing him to fall and hit his mouth on the floor. That hasn't happened anymore, I guess he's learned to leave her alone.

You know that gut feeling that we mommies get when something just isn't right with somebody? That's how I am with this worker. It makes me nervous when they are there alone with him. I won't leave him unless another worker is there. So...I called today to talk to the director about it. I hate causing trouble and I really hate to point things out like that, but what do you do? It's my son, and he's my only son. I guess we'll see how it goes...even though my hubby is pissed at me now for saying anything to them about it.[/quote]

I think you are right to complain. Sometimes centers will hire someone just to stay in ratio, when that person has no desire or business being around small children. She probably drives the other employees nuts also. There's a high turn over in daycare centers because of the low pay and unrealistic expectations that are placed on providers.
BUT, that doesn't mean children should be exposed to bad attitudes and rude behavior. Hopefully you're not the only one complaining.
(FWIW I worked with someone like this and they were just an all around miserable person who no one wanted to be around, but they kept her there for the numbers. I was always grateful when a parent complained about her, because the director always blew me off about it.)